Tulips in bloom?

Apr 27th, 1998, 04:53 AM
Lee

Tulips in bloom?

Hi! My wife and I are working on an Amsterdam trip for a few days around May 7th. One of the things that come to mind are tulips. Does anyone know how much longer they will be in bloom? It could be a great trip and especially if there's tulips. Thanks.

Apr 28th, 1998, 03:18 AM
sandra engley

Traditionally the Kuekennoff Gardens display all the growers fields of tulips from the first day of spring, for 8 weeks. Roughly March 21 to May 21. One year when I visited it was opened till May 28, the last time I went it was till May 22. It depends on how warm it gets. Sounds like May 7th should still see full blooms. This is an unforgetable experience, it is like walking inside a rainbow. Very easily accessible by rail to Lisse, the bus waits ouside train station to go about another 5 miles thru the fields to the gardens.

Apr 29th, 1998, 07:08 PM
Arizona

Sorry, Sandra -- best buy a ticket at Central Station Amsterdam to Haarlem, transfer to the bus waiting by the station, which takes you directly to the Keukenhof Garden's gates just outside Lisse. Plan to take plenty of time and plenty of photos. Dress for changeable weather -- warm, sunny, chill, rainy -- all in the same day. It's a magical place that you will never forget. When you have finished, simply reverse the above route. Takes about an hour to get there from Amsterdam.

Apr 29th, 1998, 07:11 PM
Arizona

Sorry, Sandra -- best buy a ticket at Central Station Amsterdam to Haarlem, transfer to the bus waiting by the station, which takes you directly to the Keukenhof Garden's gates just outside Lisse. Plan to take plenty of time and plenty of photos. Dress for changeable weather -- warm, sunny, chill, rainy -- all in the same day. It's a magical place that you will never forget. When you have finished, simply reverse the above route. Takes about an hour to get there from Amsterdam.

Apr 29th, 1998, 09:23 PM
penny

It was a few years ago, so I don't know if you can still do this, but we hired bicycles from a place just outside the train station at Lisse and rode them along the bike paths through the tulip fields in May for about an hour to Keukenhof. This was an unforgettable experience, and very easy riding, as it is so flat. Much better than just seeing the fields from the bus on the way. You can probably get advice on whether this is till possible from the tourist information people.