Tube Station Info

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tube Station Info

Is there a website out there that indicates which tube stops have stairs and which have lifts? We'll be traveling from Heathrow to our holiday flat located in Bloomsbury, and the closest stop is Russell Square, but Kings Cross would be an option if there are lots of stairs at Russell Square. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Virtually every tube station in central London will have stairs as they are deep underground. Do you count escalators as stairs?

For 17GBP justairports.com have a promotion on for a transfer from LHR- central London. The tube will cost around 7GBP so for a tiny sum why not arrive in comfort?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:50 PM

It's been a decade since I took the tube to Russell Square but I've used that tube stop repeatedly over the last -- gee, is it 33 years this summer since I first stayed in Mecklenburgh Square, where Commonwealth students could stay at the U of London residence for L1.50 per room per night?

Anyway I could swear that the tube stop (around the corner from the Hotel Russell) has (or had) a lift -- a funny round one -- and I recall no stairs. Others corroborate/ dissent please...
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Be prepared for "a lot" of stair climbing in the tube stations. If you are young, no problem. Otherwise, take m_kingdom2's advice.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Profsuzy,
According to http://www.tubeplanner.com/station/ there are 3 lifts at the Russell Square station. The same site says there are 7 escalators at Kings Cross, but there is no mention of lifts.

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I have a "Tube Access Guide - How to plan a Tube journey avoiding stairs and escalators". Russell Square falls in the category of "you cannot catch a train or change trains at this station without using stairs or escalators". (I know you can't change trains at Russell Square so no comments please, this is a quote.)

King's Cross gets essentially the same notation.

This guide is available at most tube stations and is also valuable for anyone sight impaired - big 16 by 24 inches.

The Airbus from Heathrow is an option.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:45 PM

It's been a couple of years since I've used the Russell Square station. but I'm pretty sure they have lifts that take you most, if not all the way to street level. There may be a few steps as well, I don't remember for sure. But it wouldn't be that many.

But Kings Cross is a HUGE station. You will probably have further to walk at Kings Cross. And you would probably need to take a taxi from the station to your flat.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:41 PM

If you have mobility problems I would not take the tube from LHR to your hotel. Even the stations w/o stairs will mostly have very long distances to walk underground. And even the ones wth lifts often have at least one flight of stairs to get to/from the platform.

The tube is great - but you do need to be fairly physically fit to use it. Buses are usually easier.

However, if your concern is just because you will be schlepping luggage - if it is light enough to walk all the way to the tube station at LHR you will easily be able to use the Russell Sq station.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:19 PM

The Journey Planner on the www.tfl.gov.uk has icons for each station on any journey you plan, indicating stairs, escalator or lift.

You can't use Kings Cross without at least one flight of substantial stairs. And for at least the next year, the tube station is being constantly re-organised as they rebuild it. This means unpredictable new, narrow passages to navigate. The simple rule with luggage is avoid Kings Cross if you can.

The A2 Airbus stops at Russell Square and is probably the best solution for bulky luggage if you don't want a cab. To work out how great a shlep it might be, put the postcode of the flat into www.multimap.com then zoom. For route details, follow the links at www.baa.com/heathrow

Virtually all pavements now have roller-suitcase-friendly slopes at junctions
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:22 AM

I stayed a few years ago 2-3 stops from Bakers street in a more residential area. There were no escalators or lifts. I lugged 2 cases up a steep staircase and pulled out my back. Just be prepared. Many of the city centre ones seemd to have escalators and lifts but the odd place seemed not to. If you have mobility probs try taking the bus as well around the city.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:35 AM

Oops. I should have said "you can't use Kings Cross TUBE without a substantial flight of steps".

Kings Cross railway station, like all the main termini built under private ownership, has no steps, except to get to the tube.

Only Euston, the one main railway station built under State ownership, has steps - to enable the peasants to gawp in wonder at the splendour of it all.

Those familar with the sensitivity and delicacy of this building, especially compared to the ugly building it replaced, will appreciate the kind gesture by the government of the day.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:34 AM

The site http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/...nderground.htm says Access for Disabled. A special version of the London underground map is available called the "Tube access guide", which can help people in a wheelchair to plan a Tube journey avoiding stairs and escalators. "Large print" versions of bus and underground maps are available for people who have poor vision. See: http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubemap

There is also a booklet called "Access to the Underground" which provides step-by-step guide to underground stations for the elderly and disabled.

Ask at your nearest Tube station or Travel Information Centre or call London Travel Information on (020) 7222 1234 to request free printed copies of these maps or booklets.

The Journey Planner at http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubemap allows you to plan journeys which avoid stairs, escalators or lifts, or which need wheelchair accessible vehicles (to select these requirements, click on "More Options").
I am afraid I cannot make this site work. The list of underground stations in central London that have wheelchair access from pavement to platform is so short that I shall try a list from memory. I am afraid my list offers no wheelchair access for Kings Cross or Russell Square

Westminster station has such access to all lines that pass it. From there along the Jublilee Line to Stratford there is wheelchair access for Jub8ilee Line platforms, and at Stratford for the Central Line and I think other lines.

East London is further well served in that all stations of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) have wheelchair access.

At Liverpool Street there is wheelchair access to the Circle Line clockwise and the Hammersmith and City Line eastbound.

At Kensington Olympia there is full access (including the hourly service from and to Gatwick)

At Hammersmith there is access for the Hammersmith and City Line

At Euston main line station there is a ramp to give stair-free access from pavement to platform, for peasants as for princes.

[email protected]
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that escalators are not always working. I've climbed many a flight of stairs out of the depths of various London Underground stations that were *supposed* to be escalators, but they were not functioning at the time.

So, even when escalators are marked, beware!

Gayle
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I found the info I needed at "Tube-guru" http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/guru/index.asp

Thankfully, I am not disabled, and my friend and I will have 1 rolling bag each, so we should be able to make it ok through the tube. What I learned was that Russell Sq has about 20 steps and a lift. We should be able to handle 20 steps. Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 10:16 AM

And not only are escalators not working, but Tube lines don't work as well, particularly on the weekends! Last weekend, the Circle line was out, so we had to do a lot of waiting around at midnight and being routed over to Earls Court to get to where we were going.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM

I'd recommend the Airbus over the tube, even if you do want to hassle with your luggage. The view is a lot more fun!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:43 PM

I agree re the Air Bus. If I was staying near Russell Sq that would be my first choice from LHR. It is more expensive than the tube, takes a few minutes longer, and is a LOT less hassle.

I usually take the tube into town or sometimes a car service because I don't stay in areas served by the AirBus. But if I did stay near an airbus stop that would be my choice hands down.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM

Just returned from London on Wednesday where we used the Russel Sq station. You'll encounter a wide flight of about 15 steps right before (or after, depending on direction) the platform. The steps take you to a landing from which you have the option of taking one of three elevators or the 178 step stair to street level. Having tried the stairs once, I would suggest the lift.

Also, there was a good deal of construction going on near St. Pancras and the Euston Station. If your flat is near Cartwright Gardens it would be an easier walk from Russel Sq. than through the torn up stations and streets to the north.