Trying to wow my wife

Search

Trying to wow my wife

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to wow my wife

After twenty years of marriage my wife finally asked me a dumb question. "Do you want to go to Europe?". I almost fell off my chair. I have been asking my wife this question every year then every couple of years and almost had given up. Needless to say the planning began almost immediatly. She wants nothing to do with it and I try and sneak details and float trial balloons as to what I am up to. You see I really want her to have a great time. She insists she is just doing it for me and our son who soon will be out on his own. Trust me I am trying my best to plan activities and sights she will appreciate. My son is also high on the list to keep interested and of course the urge to do all the things I have wanted to do for years is always an undercurrent in my planning.
Being of latin descent she agreed that Spain would be high on her list as she is comfortable with the language. We have 2 weeks plus a couple of days split between London and No. Spain. My question for the ladies and the men who love them is ... What are some sure fire activities in these locals, I can plan, that will win her heart over to European travel?
The usual sightseeing is alredy a given. I have planned a night at the globe for Shakespeare (a romantic comedy). I have booked what I hope is 4* accomadations and plan on at least a couple of pricey meals, suggestions welcome. I have been to Europe as a child but never these locations so it is all new to me as well.
A little bit about her. Loves to find a good shopping bargain. Gardens. Good food and drink (I don't drink). Markets to pick around. Beaches. Being pampered etc...
Would love to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance. thereyet
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM

I would first look into flying open jaw--into London and out of a city in Spain. Barcelona? Madrid?

Paris from London on the Eurostar.

If taking a train south, let's say Paris to Barcelona, you'd probably want to stop over in Montpellier. Madrid is about 4.5 hours further by train.

Or just fly to a southern point.

The idea for a short trip like this is to minimize the time taken getting from one place to another.

Train schedules:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

RonZ, sorry I should have gone on in my OP. We are flying into LHR, 6 nights London, out of LHR to Bilbao, car rental to San Sabastian/ Basque region, drive to Barcelona via Zaragosa, then home. thereyet
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Thereyet: We just returned from Spain. My 18 daughter loves to shop and find bargains. She loved the stores near Las Ramblas including department stores like Cortefiel, Mango, Sfara, Zara, Corte Ingles. We all (family of 5) enjoyed La Boqueria market along Las Ramblas. There are a lot of shops in that area and it was a great way to end our trip. We, of course, did Gaudi sightseeing as well as Picasso Museum, etc. An outstanding trip was to the Monastery of Montserrat just outside of Barcelona. We drove up as we were en route from Valencia to Barcelona. The view was magnificent.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Some of the things I think my wife will enjoy... looking at the hoard of crown jewels (she used to work for a jeweler), shopping at Harrod's or just looking anyway, public gardens (St. James Park?), a boat ride on the Thames, Nosing about at Portobello Market, afternoon tea. What kinds of things am I overlooking? Afterall, I am a man (not that smart about these things). Example, I bought NBA tickets for her thirtieth birthday, ended up tossing them out of the car window as she was in tears. Doh! thereyet and still in love.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Basque region, spend some time in St Jean de Luz. Great little town, great beach, restaurants.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM

You have a lot of pressure on you, thereyet, hopefully she will make some effort too.

You could go to Kew Gardens http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/

How about the Cotswalds?
http://tinyurl.com/28wtsh
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Don't mean to make her sound like a shrue Seaurchin but yeah a lot of pressure is right. thereyet
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

The Cotswolds looks great! I don't know why but I thought it was far away. Are there trains out that way as we won't have a car? Or is it a good idea to rent a car for a day? thereyet
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:44 AM

I assume you're in the US but if she enjoys shopping, she might get a kick out of going to Pandora's on Cheval place which is about 1 1/2 blocks NW of Harrods. It's a resale shop where the really posh take their Chanels when they're bored with them. I've actually seen a chauffer in livery delivering a box there.

The shopping is going to not be so good in London with the dollar weak. That said, I'm sure she'd enjoy poking around in Covent Garden. There's usually something for everyone there.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:03 AM

The Victoria & Albert have a good display of clothing from centuries ago up to some of Princess Diana's dresses that your wife might enjoy seeing.

Also, I always enjoy Kensington Palace tours.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Spain? Read, Iberia, Michener.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:03 AM

you are in a tough situation. i would not put too much pressure on yourself with this. i think you should resist putting yourself in the role of babysitter or becoming too obsessed with whether or not she is enjoying herself. the way you are making it sound, i think this is trip off on the wrong foot already (to be honest).
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Walkingaround, not the wrong foot. Maybe I stated my case the wrong way. We have traveled many places for half of our lives together. And yes we are different people in some of our interests, she likes beach resorts and I don't. That said, we make comprimises in our life for each other and for some unknown reason this comprimise is twenty years in the making. I am not hoping to plan the outcome but I would like to make plans that have a reasonable chance of success and might lead to the desire for more.
After reading and sharing on this forum for the past few weeks, I recognize the degree of expierence here as great and if anyone can help in these plans it is the posters at Fodors. When we head off on our trip this year I would just like to be well informed as opposed to being a babe in the woods so to speak.
I was hoping people would have fun with this thread but if I made it sound too dire I apoligize and everyone can go back to debating train schedules.Lol. thereyet
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I just posted my trip report about southern Spain. We had such a wonderful time. It was very romantic. Just click on my name and you will find it. I can't seem to be able to post the url!

When in doubt about gifts, always pick jewelry over the NBA when it comes to women.

Being a woman myself, I suggest that you plan some "guy" stuff with your son while your wife goes shopping by herself. If you think that is what she would like of course. My husband is an AWFUL shopper, so I like to just lose myself by myself in stores while he goes scuba diving.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi kelliebellie, definitly will have some guy things planned after the DW gets settled a bit. That is why I mentioned the pampered thing. Maybe there are spa type activities she could enjoy. We are staying at the Pelham hotel. Maybe I should inquire there for some ideas... thereyet
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Carrybean, Pandoras sounds great. I don't think that is far from where we are staying in So. Ken. thereyet
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I think she is lucky to have such a caring attentive man. I am sure you have tried to figure out what her apprehensions are by now and will consider that info in the trip. But you can only do your bestespeciallly if she is not participating in the planning. You can't control everything there is bound to be something..and walking on eggshells wont help you enjoy the trip you have waited 20 years for.

My apologies if I sound preachy.

Also if she is from USA and speaks Spanish be aware that it will help alot, but may not be the same as the Spanish she is accostomed to.

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

She speaks Spanish fluently as does my son. I am sure there will be some differences but she can be very formal in her speach.
I think her concept of Europe and foriegn language is basically at the root of her apprehension. henca we are going to two countries whose language she speaks. thereyet
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:36 AM
ira

Hi TY,

>I bought NBA tickets for her thirtieth birthday, ...

Oh, dear.

A lesson I learned from taking various family members on their first visit to Europe:

I planned the visit meticulously - taking into account their likes and dislikes.

I sent the itinerary to all members ofr approval - which was forthcoming.

I studied up on sites/sights we would see so that I would be a good guide.

I arranged for restaurants that would be diverse and intersting.

Do not be surprised if what you arranged leaves your audience cold.

Be prepared to jettison your whole schedule after you arrive.

Don't be upset by this: "The best laid plans of mice and men aft gang aglay".

Best of luck, and I hope that you all have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -