Reload this Page >

Trying to decide on which Paris hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:35 AM
Bruce Hayes

My wife and I are going to Paris next September and we have narrowed down our hotel choices to two: the Hotel Champs de Mars or the Hotel Grand Leveque. <BR> <BR>Both are on the rue Cler, both are recommended in a number of guide books, both are "economical", and both, as far as I can tell, have received good reviews on this forum. <BR> <BR>If you had to choose one, which would it be?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:04 AM
Curt

Bruce <BR>We have stayed at Leveque and found it to be quite pleasant. Our room was on the back of the hotel, so no view, but it was quiet. Nice sized room with modern bath, good bed, and a big plus was the in room safe (rare for this price range). The breakfast service is typical French, rolls, bread, coffee/tea, and juice, but was priced very fairly (it was actually cheaper than going out to one of the many cafes in the area). Overall a big thumbs up to Leveque. We would stay there again with no hesitation. <BR> <BR>Friends have stayed at Champs du Mar and they report good things about it. My wife and I visited the hotel and found the lobby to be quite nice. It is a bit more "up scale" than the Leveque and is priced just a bit higher. I think it would also be a good choice. <BR> <BR>The area of Rue Cler is a great place to stay. Nice shops, eats, and close to Eiffel tower. Good access to Metro stop as well. I think you will enjoy the area and either hotel will be good choice.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:11 AM
Christina

The Hotel du Champ de Mars is not on rue Cler, it's on a side street around the corner, which is why I would choose it instead of Grand Leveque. I've stayed in neither but seen both and would not choose to stay on what is basically a pedestrian shopping mall (open air, true, kind of yuppie to my taste), in Paris or any city. I would think it too noisy, which many people have also agreed, and I just don't like staying in the middle of shops like that. It's not that attractive a shopping street either IMO, and it's not very wide, just a concrete walk down the middle. Anyway, everything I've seen about the Grand Leveque makes it look a lot more "basic" and lower end than the Champ de Mars hotel, which is another reason. I know a lot of people like staying on that shopping street, so mine is a contrarian view; you probably are attracted to that idea, though, or you wouldn't have chosen them.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:43 AM
Tim

Christina: My heavens get a grip. If you never stayed there how could you recommend either hotel. Both hotels offer a person's basic needs plus both are clean and safe. Your idea of a busy shopping street is not quite reality. Rue Cler is a market street not the busy shopping mall you write about. That's the problem with the site. Just jump down peoples opinion.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:17 PM
dick

I've stayed at Hotel Leveque and am staying there again this month. If you sleep well with noise get a room facing the street where you can watch the activity. It starts at 5:00 a.m. though. <BR> <BR>Nice place - basic and friendly. Great location.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:33 PM
Betsy

I've stayed at the Champs de Mars and found it fine for the price which was very good. The room was very small, but then most in Paris are. Personally I found the owners to be sort of surly but others haven't had that experience. Also, with both hotels know that you and all the other guest will no doubt be American. That's fine with me, but might bother others. I really like this neighborhood and especially like its proximity to the Champs de Mars Parc.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 09:43 AM
LINDA

Stayed at Grand Hotel Laveque in '97 -- it was redone just then, LOVED it, a FANTASTIC value, but have also heard great things about Champs du mars as well. You can't go wrong with either, rue cler is beautiful. <BR>have a great trip, and if you want restaurant recomendations, email me. <BR> <BR>Linda

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 01:50 PM
linda

Bruce, We stayed at the Leveque and had a wonderful experience. The market is busy by day but quiet (closed down) at night. Our rooms faced the street and we loved them. Partial views of the Eiffel Tower were great. The quiet rooms in the back of the hotel seemed dark and therefore lackluster to us. I do not remember early morning noise, but it makes sense that there would have been deliveries at that hour. We did enjoy waking at 7:30-8am and watching the shops prepare to open up. Champ de Mars is immediately off the corner of Rue Cler, but not on it. It is very appealing from the street. Book either very early because they are both well known and September is a very busy travel month for business (lowering the number of choices for leisure travelers). <BR> <BR>Let us know your choice! <BR> <BR>linda

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 02:02 PM
I think

Most places Steves suggests are full of Americans which ruins the Europian experience. That is my opinion so don't jump on me.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 12:16 AM
topper

Topping for lze (info Hotel Champs de Mars).

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:35 PM
FRED

WE STAYED IN A APARTMENT ON RUE CLER TWO YEARS AGO. -IT WAS VERY NOISY EARLY IN THE AM AND LATE AT NIGHT.EVEN THE PROPERTY MANAGER AGREED -BE WARE -THE STREET IS CHARMING BUT BUSY,BUSY,BUSY

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Linda

Would love to have suggestions on places to eat. We will be in Paris in June.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Judy G

Sorry Linda. I meant that meassage to go to you not on board. Still would like suggestions on places to eat.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:18 AM
monica

Bruce - I just got back from Paris, and stayed at the Leveque. Cute hotel, we had a room that faced the street. Unfortunately we could not see the Eiffel Tower, but it is in a great location. There is a brassarie on one of the corners that has delicious food, and walking around seeing the fresh fruit and vegetables in the markets was an experience too. The room was small, but that's Europe for you. Service was great - only down fall with that was late one night with a clerk at the desk that did not speak much english. Hotel is close to the Metro and buses, plus walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. We arrived early in the morning, and we were able to check in right away. I would recommend this - as said above by others the mornings can get noisy, but you don't want to spend too much time in your room, so use that as an excuse to get moving!<BR>Monica

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:26 AM
mary

Leveque is great hotel. Rue Cler is a nice street not at all as described by the catty post by Christing...she seems to have a problem. Odd that someone can criticize a place they have never been. You will not go wrong with Leveque, but as the others say you must book early, early, early - 6 to 8 months out would not be too far.<BR><BR>As to the remark by the person called "I think", it was uncalled for. Actually any hotel you stay in in Paris will likely be full of Americans and other foreigners, as most people that live in Paris will have homes/flats of their own. You really think that you will find a hotel full of French people there? You are a joke.<BR>