truffle festival in alba

Search

truffle festival in alba

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truffle festival in alba

Question # 1) There is a Truffle Bacchanal (banquet)on Sat. evening October 14th in Alba. Does anyone know any information about it? Is it open to everyone or by invite only?

Question # 2) Is the truffle fair worth 2 days - both Sat. and Sun?

Thanks

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:00 PM

The Truffle Bacchanal would be open to everyone as this is a tourist event, but you may need to book, try an e-mail to [email protected] for details and information.

As far as whether the fair is worth going to for 2 days, it depends how much you like the smell of truffles . IMO one day is plenty, I would head off to nearby Barolo or Barbaresco for a wine touring day.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks astigiano for the email link.

I do understand that the aroma of the truffle is its strongest point, but I want be able to do more than just smell those truffles! Not planning on buying any whole, but I sure do want to eat some.
Should I try making dinner reservations now, or can we just follow our noses?
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:32 PM

One does here tales of foreign (that is to say Umbrian and Le Marchian) truffles showing up by the truck-load at the Piedmont truffle festivals to meet the huge demand at this time from gastronomical tourists! There was a part o a thread about this once (Franco does Umbria)

I always think that the best truffles you can get in the season are at one of the many fabulous trattorie and osterie in the small hill towns and villages of Piedmont. They are mnot catering for tourists (although always happy to see them) but to the locals who are quite picky and choosy, so the restaurants must have a good local source of truffles for their own reputation. But unless its a weekend I don't think you need a booking in advance, take a cruise to the area around Barolo or Barbarseco for some of Italy's best wine and food (with truffles of course)
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM

SAMPAGUITA & others: Can anyone recommend local trattorias to sample the truffles this fall? We plan to be in Piedmont in early October 2009... but not sure we want to spend time at the Festival. So any recommendations where we can sample the barolo and truffles at the same time would be great. Thank you!!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Your question about one or two days might depend on exactly what days you will be in Alba. Also have a trip planned for October. Have 2 days in my itinerary dedicated to Alba - on October 3, will check out the sights, visit some tasting rooms, and also check out the AlbaQualita food and wine exhibition. On October 4, the Palio and its related activities will take place.

From everything I've read, the best Piemontese truffles will be had in the restaurants. LaLibera and Caffe Enoclub seem to be particular noted for their fresh truffle dishes.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM

DRBB: Thank you! There will be 6 of us adults travelling together. Economically speaking, do you think it would be better if we rented an apartment in or near Alba/Barolo/Barbaresco... as opposed to getting a few rooms in an agriturismo?
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Many local restaurants, particularly the higher-end places, will have white truffles on their menus at this time of year. Click on my name to see my dining report on where we had truffles in the Piemonte.

We went to the truffle festival in 2007, and to be honest, it wasn't that exciting. I would say you'll have had enough of the actual festival in 1-2 hours, plus take some time to wander through Alba. The festival is in a large building, and full of people selling (i) truffles, by weight; (ii) every product you can imagine that contains truffles - cheeses, sauces, etc.; (iii) the same products, but not containing truffles, plus others, like bread; (iv) wine. Lots of people, crowded, a bit stuffy. As a tourist, I would suggest NOT buying "fresh" truffles there, as you know nothing about confirming the quality of a very expensive item, and they go bad quickly. Unless you're heading back home the very next day, or have somewhere to cook your own food, to serve the truffles on (and don't forget the truffle shaver), or can ask a restaurant to serve your truffles on their food, you won't be able to use the truffles you bought before they go bad.

Pretty much everything else about our time in the Piedmont was better than the time we spent at the truffle festival, but it is worth spending some time at it.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM

LEXMA90: Thank you for letting me know about your trip report! It looks like we will not be visiting the truffle festival after all and concentrating our trip on Liguria. But we may still do a short visit to Piedmont after Liguria.

IF YOU WERE TO RETURN TO PIEDMONT FOR A SHORT VISIT, WHERE WOULD YOU CONCENTRATE YOUR TIME? And when I say short, I mean 2 days tops. I was thinking of maybe just checking out 1 winery to buy bottles of Barolo/Nebbiolo/Barbaresco. And visiting 1 restaurant and maybe 1 place where we could purchase the truffles.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Haven't checked apartment prices in the Alba area so I really can't compare to B&Bs, hotels, or agriturismos.

Based on my research so far, if only 1-2 days, I would say go to Alba for one day and then day trip on the second day to Grinzane Cavour (site of the biggest Enoteca Regionale featuring wines of the Piemonte) and La Morra. Lots of good restaurant choices, beautiful countryside, wineries. You should contact wineries though before visiting.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks, DRBB. We may end up staying in La Morra or Serralunga. I heard there is a very nice castle in Serralunga. Cheers!