Trouble booking Norwegian Trains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As was suggested on another thread I started about train travel in Norway, I am trying to book trains through WWW.NSB.NO, but it will not accept my credit card. We've already informed the card company that we'll be using it in Norway.

Has this happened to anyone else? Looks as though seats are already running low so would like to get this booked. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The website says you must have a secure card. This is the case with many train sites in Europe. A secure card is either a Mastercard (Mastercard Securecode) or Visa (Verified by Visa code) for which you have contacted them and set up the secure code. It is not those three numbers on the back of your card. It's my understanding that you can't get this on some Visa cards (perhaps Capitol One is one I've read you can't get it on).

http://www.mastercard.us/securecode.html

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/produc...d-by-visa.html
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM

This is the page on the train website explaining you need a securecode. Once you've set it up on your cards, you don't have to again for other websites, purchases, etc.

http://www.nsb.no/our-tickets/3d-sec...1035-4337.html
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 08:47 PM

I had trouble figuring out the Norwegian train website and used Five Stars of Scandinavia to book accommodations in Bergen, the train to Oslo and 1 night in Oslo before going to my home exchange in Fredrikstad (south of Oslo) in 2012.

Here's the link for the company:

http://5stars-scandinavia.com/

My trouble was not with the credit card, but just figuring out the site and what I wanted to do. But, if you want some help, it worked for me.

I think using the company cost me about $50 extra.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info,kybourbon. Unfortunately, according to the list on the MasterCard site, there are very few banks that participate in the Secure Code.

I called the Norwegian train line today and could only get them to hold our tickets, which we'll pay for when we pick them up at the station. Because of this, I couldn't get the Minipreis rate.

Fortunately, I was able to find an inexpensive way to call Norway through Keep Calling as I was on the line for about 40 minutes.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Wow, when did this 'secure card' thing start? We booked our tickets last year for our Norway train rides with our regular credit card. Good to know for future reference.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:24 PM

Likewise,last year I had no problems booking on the nsb website and without a secure card. It did take two calls to credit card company to get authority clearance for overseas purchases.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:32 AM

The site now says that no cards from US (and one other country) can be used at this time. Weird.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM

>>>Wow, when did this 'secure card' thing start? <<<

Years ago for a lot of US online shopping sites that used to require it. I registered my card a long time ago when I was making a purchase from a US site. It's no big deal to do. My MC is from a tiny credit union and they have participated with Securecode since it began.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 06:26 AM

michele_d - it may be to do with card fraud. Since you still don't have chips your credit cards are far more susceptible to fraud than cards with chips.

Odd that they don't allow them with Verified or Securecode though.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM

None of those American providers currently offering chip cards (I now have 2 and am getting a third) are those who do not change foreign transaction fees. Some of them are talking about raising those fees--essentially fees for nothing. Most of the time I just do my trips using my ATM card and Capital One or United's Mileage Visa neither of which have transaction fees, but no chip and pincode.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Are you getting a discount by booking online - if not put all angst to rest and just be sure you can book any train you need once in Norway - so unless getting a deal just stop wasting time and energy - check these superb sites IMO for lots of info on Norwegian trains - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - if really needing to have a ticket with reservation in hand contact Byron at the last site - I've worked with him for years buying railpasses and attest to great person service - but again you'll pay more booking thru RailEurope - which his company is an agent of and again you will have NO problem booking those tickets once in Oslo. So unless getting some kind of savings just wait.