Tropical Shirts

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:52 AM
California Boy

Tropical Shirts

Well being a California boy, I am wondering if people in Italy, France and London will think we are crazy for wearing Hawaii and Tropical shirts during the summer.

Michael

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Misky

Let's just say you'll look different.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:04 PM
snorkelman

I live in Florida and see tourists all the time. I cannot ever figure out why people think that wearing wacky clothes like that is ok when they are on vacation. do you wear stuff like that at home? if not, then expect that ANYWHERE that you wear it, you will stand out and obviously be a tourist. If you do not care, then wear the Hawaiian shirts.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:09 PM
xxx

Snorkelman, some people actually do wear Hawaiian shirts as part of their regular wardrobe. I live in California and I usually see young, beach type guys wear them. Michael, if that's what you're comfortable in and you don't mind the stares or being ridiculed, go for it. Otherwise, I'd go for solids or less "busy" prints. Have fun!

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Patrick

Maybe it's just that I'm a pretty conservative dresser living in Naples, Florida, but the common tourist "uniform" these days for men (even among those many Europeans visiting us) seems to be a pair of dark slacks and a Tommy Bahama type shirt -- often a dark background, maybe black, but with some design printed on it -- most often big leaves. In fact, I was extremely well aware of them everywhere I went in Greece and Italy in the summer as well. We're not talking wild Hawaiin prints here, but rather bold splashy prints in black, gold, tan, etc.
I don't own a shirt like that, but been thinking of getting one or two to take to Corsica, Sardinia, etc. this summer.I'm not so sure I'd be out of place there in that kind of outfit.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:23 PM
B Wilson

Give me an old-fashioned Hawaiian print shirt than one of those new SILK Tommy Bahama wannabes.
And yes, I wear them in Europe.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM
bettyk

Guys, when was the last time you went shopping for clothes? Hawaiian shirts have been "in" for a couple of years now. Tommy Bahama is laughing all the way to the bank. I wouuld agree with Patrick that something that's not too wild and crazy would be just as "ok" in Europe as some of those bold plaids worn here by the tourists from Germany, Japan, etc.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
john

We travel to Turkey every year and have taken one or two Hawaiian style/print shirt. This year when we asked our host/friend what we could bring him from the U.S. his reply was--"a couple of those great wild print shirts of yours." BTW--we ALWAYS bring back genuine Levi (501 button fly)jeans made in Turkey--good quality and CHEAP, unlike the poorly made, shrinking Polo, etc. knockoffs in Turkey.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:53 PM
fashionista

You might start a new trend