Search

TROMSO - 70 years old

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TROMSO - 70 years old

Dear all
at the end of January my wife will be taking her mum to Norway for her 70th birthday. On the eve of her birthday they will arrive in Tromso at lunchtime and the next day they board a Huntigren ship at 6pm (to Kirkeness).
For the day of her mum's birthday my wife would like to plan something special. They have from whatever time they wake up until 6pm.
Her mum is a pretty active 70 year old but still she wonders whether the dog sledging might be a little too tiring and whether raindeer sledging might be better.
Also she is wondering if any of the so-called Sami "experiences" involve anyhting more than having a meal in a Sami tent...
Any recommendations gracefully received.
Thanks
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 04:08 AM

I wouldn't recommend dog sledding. It is very hard on the back.

I haven't tired reindeer sledding so I don't know if that is any easier.

Maybe they could go on a Northern Lights excursion on the evening of their arrival. That would be a great way to celebrate a 70th birthday.
Alternatively there is the midnight concert at the Arctic cathedral. This is offered from Hurtigruten, but I believe it is open to anyone. It is well worth a visit anyway, during the day http://www.visittromso.no/en/Product...ctic-Cathedral .

Do make sure both your wife and her Mum have good snowboots, and maybe even some snowtrax type of thing to put under them. Tromsø is hilly and the pavements, whist gritted are slippery, as they are at the other ports they will be at along the route.

Some Sami experiences involve telling you about the Sami lifestyle, yoiking, and so on. You would need to read up on what is on offer.

The ship sails at 18.30 from Tromsø so they need to be onboard well before that! The ship won't wait if they are late.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
worried now about what you said about being onboard well before that...
when they arrive iN Kirkeness they arrive at 9:00 and their flight out is at 11:30 which gives them 2:30 hours to get to airport, check-in and board. Thought it would be plenty time but now am wondering...
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 04:45 AM

In Kirkenes that is plenty of time.

Hurtigruten run a bus to the airport if they want to take it. They can buy tickets for that onboard at the tour guides desk.

They do need to be onboard in Tromsø by about 6 I would think. Have they booked meals onboard? Do they know which sitting they have? If it is the first sitting then they definitely need to be onboard before 6. Their paperwork should give them check in time for the ship
They need go to the Hurtigruten terminal to check in. It is in the centre of the town, so easily reached on foot.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you hetismij
They have booked meals but I don't know about sitting - will check. Thanks for the tips
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our Hurtigruten cruise only had one sitting for dinner, 7:00pm. We had a table for two which we liked.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Yes, not all have two sittings, it depends on how full they are. Even so they need to be on board before 18.30. Time to find their cabin, and their way around the ship, before sailing.

Do you know which ship it is brusselschap? Just out of interest.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi. Thanks. The ship is MS NordKap