Search

Troll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troll

Perhaps I was not clear. Is it better to purchase things with dollars or pounds in London. If I am using a charge card, is it possible that they charge pounds or do they charge dollars. Is this any clearer or should I just wait and see what happens when I get there?
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM

When you are in London, the local currency is Pounds. You cannot pay for items using the US dollar.

If you are using a charge card, you should be charged in the Pounds - again because that is the local currency.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
P_M

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a troll, but rather an inexperienced traveller--despite the fact you have chosen such an odd subject line for this question.

Let me ask you a question. If a British traveler went to a store in the US, would that store take pounds? Of course not. The currency of the UK is the pound, not the US dollar. Nobody will take dollars in the UK and there's no point in asking local merchants to take US dollars. The US dollar is NOT a universal currency that can be used worldwide.

One more thing--when you are making any comment about a question you previously posted, you really should post that comment on the same thread. Just click "reply" instead of starting a new thread.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks-I get it. i guess that was a dumb question.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
J62

Last time I was in London several stores tried to charge me in $, as a 'favor' to me. This is called dynamic currency conversion (DCC).

If they do this tell the merchant you want to be charged in Pounds. It'll cost you several % for this 'convenience' they offer you.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

I thought I had heard if something odd. Now you have cleared it up and I thank you. Very much.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Paying with $$ is no problem at all, it just depends how many. Just keep in mind that $10 equal 1 Pound, converting will be easy too. Right now at least, I doubt you'll find many people in London that don't accept $$.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
P_M

farrellb1, please allow me to say something in your defense. People who have only traveled within North America and the Caribbean tend to presume the US dollar is universal since it is widely accepted in this part of the world. I'm glad you posted your question here before going over there and asking people if they will accept dollars.

The best way to get pounds is to use your ATM card. Be advised you are withdrawing money in pounds, not dollars. In other words, when you enter a withdrawal amount for 100, you are asking for 100 pounds, not 100 dollars. Be sure to notify your bank you will be using your ATM card overseas and ask about withdrawal fees. It's best to withdraw as much as you are comfortable carrying around to avoid paying the fee with multiple withdrawals.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OP used "Troll" for his/her title because on another thread someone answered the same question w/ "Troll"

It actaully isn't such a far fetched question. Many places in London - Harrod's, Fortnum & Mason, etc have for years asked foreign customers if they wanted to be charged in their own currency. And this was long before the current DCC issues.

As I said on the OP's other thread - whenever given the choice ask for local currency. (And whenever not given the choice one should decline and demand local currency)
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM

<i> Is it better to purchase things with dollars or pounds in London.</i>

The only thing you can legally purchase with dollars in London is pounds.

If you use a CC make sure you are charged in pounds.

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:02 AM

hopscotch, whilst I agree with your conclusion, the idea that purchasing in a currency other than sterling is illegal is mince.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM

It would be more precise to say the only currency anyone is legally obliged to sell to you in is sterling. By private agreement, you could of course buy and sell in dollars, cowrie shells or used socks if both parties wanted. There's probably some rebarbative red-braced chancer working on used sock futures as we speak.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Used sock futures! Thank you PatrickL, my fortune is made!

(Also I believe OPEC prices oil worldwide in US dollars, but I don't believe they operate at the retail level as a rule....)
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 05:12 AM
J62

Would that require a match pair of socks, or are dryer orphans ok legal tender?