Trip to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest for April 4-17. We fly in and out of Vienna, so we plan to go from Vienna, to Budapest, Budapest to Prague, and Prague back to Vienna. Does it make a difference if we do it in that order, because we could do Vienna to Prague first also? From all the posts I have read going by train seems to be the best way to do it. The reviews of the hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest makes it not seem worth it. We thought we would do the long trips (Budapest to Prague, and Prague back to Vienna) on night trains so we would have more time in the cities. Is there a lot to see on those train trips, so we would be better off doing it during the day? It looks like getting a private sleeper for 2 is pretty expensive-has anyone done it with a room for 6, and what is that like? It also seems like there isn't a pass that works for those 3 countries. Is it best to just wait till we get there to buy the tickets? It is the week of Easter so I wonder if this will make it harder to get tickets because people will be traveling and thus should buy the tickets ahead. Any advise on this would be appreciated! Reading all the posts on here has made me excited about the trip!!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM

I thought that the trip from Vienna to Prague was fairly scenic and pleasant. It did not seem long enough to do as an overnight but I guess they could just go slow.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM

We are flying into Prague on April 17th to stay for a week and debating whether or not to take day trips in the Czech Republic,or to Poland or Budapest. We have already been to Vienna. This will be our first trip to Prague and since we have a full week, any thoughts?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Definintely take day trips in the Czech Republic. I recommend Czesky Krumlov, which is a UNESCO site and totally gorgeous. Also, check out Karlovy Vary, a spa town with mineral baths, also known for an Int'l Film Festival. I went to both places by bus, neither are more than two hours away, I believe.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Nanirolls:
Thank you for your input. I am going to take your advice. Sounds like we should take advantage of the beauty of the Czech Republic instead of going to another country.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:36 AM

In Prague consider a hotel on Kampa Island. It is directly under the Charles Bridge, has a nice park, great views, very nice restaurants and best of all is peaceful yet a short walk to everything in old town. We stayed at the Hotel Kampa Island for seven nights and found it a good choice. It is newly refurbished, and all non-smoking. Rooms are of decent size and well equipped although the matresses are too firm for my taste. Nice bathrooms too. Best rooms are in the back facing the park, particularly those on the top floor. The ceilings are slanted but the view of the castle is wonderful. Rooms in the front only have a view of another building. Included breakfast is good for the hotel price (about $100/nightin April). There is one room -110-that meets all ADA accessibility requirements. The hotel short entrance stairway has a wheelchair lift.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Reserve two nights at a hotel near the Cesky Krumlov station. After a couple of days in Vienna, on Friday take the late train to Cesky Krumlov that gets in after 11PM - but call the hotel a couple of times from Vienna to make sure they know you're coming in late.

On Sunday afternoon, carry on to Prague - you won't be sorry you did this intermittent excursion!

If you pick a fast train back to Vienna, maybe the early one that leaves between 6 and 7 AM, you can be back in Vienna my mid-morning for another day or two in Vienna, then hop on down to Budapest, and back to Vienna the night before you leave.

Make your trips early or late in the day and you still get something out of those days, and you see some of the scenery. Sleeping on trains is rough if you do the cheaper couchettes, expensive in private sleeper cabins, and either way it's an acquired taste plus an advanced skill...

Wk