Reload this Page >

Trip to Norway (Fiords)

Search

Trip to Norway (Fiords)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 10:22 AM
Les Feinstein

Trip to Norway (Fiords)

I'm just beginning to plan a trip to Norway. Would like to take 2 weeks, concentrating on a cruise through the fiord country, and driving to other areas of Norway and Sweden. Can anyone recommend an itinerary (i.e., where do we start the cruise, where to fly into, do the driving before or after the cruising, best time of year, etc.)? Also, if you've had experience with any of the cruise lines, I'd appreciate hearing about them.
Thanks.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 11:44 AM
Arizona

Les, we went to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark last August. We flew from the States to Amsterdam and on to Oslo. From there, we went by rail west to Bergen where we caught a ship northbound to Kirkenes, beyond the North Cape. This whole package was arranged with Bergen Lines. Their service, tickets, hotels, etc. were completely satisfactory in all respects. The ship was the Polarlys (Northern Lights), a "hurtigruten" (coastal route) vessel that handled freight and passengers. New, it was spotless clean, the food excellent, and the service prompt and courteous. We took advantage of several optional shore excursions as well as getting off in various cities to stretch our legs. The ship follows a sea lane sheltered by islands from the North Atlantic's high seas. Sort of like going from Seattle or Vancouver up the Inside Passage to Alaska. We stopped and went ashore at such places as Alesund, Trondheim, Bodo, Tromso, North Cape.

We flew back to Oslo via Tromso from Kirkenes, stayed a couple days in Oslo, and went to Stockholm by train (excellent). After a few days, we went to Copenhagen via rail to visit old friends who put us up for almost a week. Then home.

Norway: very scenic, very hospitable, very expensive. Bergen is a MUST; Oslo has its high points, but Bergen is a great small city for walking around. E-mail me if you have further questions. The Bergen Lines package is good value for money.

Old Apr 29th, 1998, 05:01 PM
Dave

My wife and I took the Bergen Lines "hurtigruten" a few years ago from Bergen to Kirkenes in August. It is the way to go to see coastal Norway. There are 12 ships plying the route, one leaving Bergen every day. Food was only fair, but you don't go for the food. The "softis" icecream onshore was great. Going one way was quite enough. The package including Oslo is well worth it. We took an extra day in Olso and Bergen, which was good. Call Bergen Lines.

Old May 9th, 1998, 09:57 AM
Jean

We are planning travelling on the coastal ferry - the Polarlys- from Bodo to Bergen in early July. What clothing do you recommend? What is typical weather? Cost of meals on board? Would appreciate any tips you can give. Thanks

Old May 10th, 1998, 05:33 AM
sandy

While the Bergen Line ships definitely take you up close to the coast of Norway, the accommodations are spartan, the food isn't very good, and you don't spend a lot of time in any port. You don't even get to some of them until the middle of the night, and then you're only there for an hour or two, if that. And Bergen does not go up into Gerainger fjord, which is the most beautiful of all.

However, there are a number of cruise ships that do the Norwegian fjords. You haven't said anything about your budget, but I would recommend the Crystal Symphony, Royal Viking Sun, Vistafjord, among others. You will have a full day in every port, and when you come back, you'll have a wonderful evening of delicious food, gracious service, and great entertainment to look forward to -- not to mention a chocolate on the pillow of your comfortable bed.

Old May 11th, 1998, 08:27 AM
Nils

I am a norwegian, and I live in Bergen. "Hurtigruten" to northern Norway is a good, but relatively expensive alternative. A maybe better alternative is "Norway in a nutshell" from Bergen. In one day you get a fjordcruise (The Sognefjord; the biggest fjord in Norway)and a fantastic train trip (with the famous Flaamsbanen). You also can stay a few days in Bergen and do some minicruises to the fjords. You also can go by bus to the most famous fjord in Norway: The Hardangerfjord with the glacier "Folgefonna". You also can go to Voss by train (1 hour from Bergen. Voss is a typical norwegian village wiht beatiful lakes and surrounding mountains. Both in Bergen and in Voss there are plenty of museums and other "must sees". Then you can go by train across the mountains to Oslo and from there to Stockholm. Oslo is also worth a few days stay, but the western and northern parts of Norway are the most scenic and most typical norwegian. Do not hesitate to mail me if you need more information. Nils

Old May 11th, 1998, 08:29 AM
Nils

I am a norwegian, and I live in Bergen. "Hurtigruten" to northern Norway is a good, but relatively expensive alternative. A maybe better alternative is "Norway in a nutshell" from Bergen. In one day you get a fjordcruise (The Sognefjord; the biggest fjord in Norway)and a fantastic train trip (with the famous Flaamsbanen). You also can stay a few days in Bergen and do some minicruises to the fjords. You also can go by bus to the most famous fjord in Norway: The Hardangerfjord with the glacier "Folgefonna". You also can go to Voss by train (1 hour from Bergen. Voss is a typical norwegian village wiht beatiful lakes and surrounding mountains. Both in Bergen and in Voss there are plenty of museums and other "must sees". Then you can go by train across the mountains to Oslo and from there to Stockholm. Oslo is also worth a few days stay, but the western and northern parts of Norway are the most scenic and most typical norwegian. Do not hesitate to mail me if you need more information. Nils

Old May 11th, 1998, 08:31 AM
Nils

Old May 11th, 1998, 09:46 AM
kimberley

Hi all. I spent July 1997 in Norway and, by the way, had the best vacation I could imagine! It seems that many responses here emphasize Bergen - and I couldn't agree more!! I ended up spending 2 and a half weeks in just Bergen. I did many of the things Nils suggests: Norway in a Nutshell, day trip to Voss. There are also 2 mountains in Bergen that you can ride up (one by cable car, one by furnicular), Bryggen (a collection of centuries-old shops and restaurants on the water that are a MUST-see), an outdoor fish market (I didn't know what shrimp really tasted like until I bought it at the fishmarket). We had the best dinner of our lives at a restaurant called Brygestuenne (in one of the buildings on the Bryggen). If you are in Bergen, I would really reccommend it (it was a bit expensive, but really worth it!). Oslo is also a lot of fun, many street performers etc. in the summer time. One thing that I did not enjoy was Lillehammer: cut my visit there short and only stayed two days (two hours would have been more than enough). As for the weather: when I was there (July) it was beautiful, sunny and relatively warm (comparable to the Northeast US at that time of year), but locals kept telling me that was the nicest summer in 20 years and that it had never gone that long without raining and cooling off a bit. If I can answer any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Kimberley