Trip to Norway

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 10:18 AM
santi

Trip to Norway

I'm planning to visit Norway (probably Oslo & Bergen) in the first two weeks of September. It'll be my first time; I've done the usual research through reading and browsing and stuff, but would welcome any tips and thought from anybody who have been there. Thank you in advance...

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 03:15 PM
geoff

Other than make sure your rain coat is packed for Bergen, I don't know of any general advice. Although I will add I've never seen so many "Thai" restaurants all serving nothing but standard Chinese food. I was in Oslo, Gudvangen, Bergen, Stavanger, and Copenhagen at the end of May. Could you be more specific about what you would like to know?

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 04:43 AM
santi

Geoff - thanks so much for your reply. Where would be a good place to stay? That's something that's a bit hard to tell just from reading books... I'm looking for inexpensive places to stay... like a 'b&b' sort of place or the hostel... what were your experiences with those? I also heard that food can be expensive; although I assume that meant if you were eating in restaurants the whole time. How much would you budget for food?
thank you again....

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:48 AM
Marija

Bergen is an interesting town but I recommend you think about staying in one of the smaller towns on the Sognefjord or the Hardangenfjord as well. The fjords are incredibly beautiful. We spent a night in Bergen and then took a bus and boat up the Hardangenfjord and spent the night in a small town. The next morning we took a bus to the train station and took the scenic train ride to Flam. Then we took the boat cruise down the Njaerfjord (sp?) and spent the night at the Stalheim hotel which is at the end of the fjord. The next day we took a bus/boat combo to Balestrand on the Sognefjord, spent the night, and the next day returned by boat to Bergen. The bus/boat/train coordination in Norway is remarkable, everything connects in a timely fashion. We left our suitcases in the train station in Bergen, so we carried only small duffel bags on our trip through the fjords. I had never attempted a jaunt with so many train/boat/bus connections and was somewhat apprehensive, but everything worked beautifully. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:16 AM
santi

Santi,
I am from Brasil and I travelled to Denmark, Norway and Sweden last year in June by myself which is much more expensive than if you travel with a friend..It was one of the most beautiful and the safest trip I've ever made.The first thing I recomend you is
to buy a Scandinavian airlines airpass (I don't know where you live but in my country I bought it and it was worth every cent I spent)Norway is absolutely marvelous. I loved Bergen but as Geoff saidon't forget your raincoat (I bought 2 of those transparent disposable ones that do not weigh anything)I had only one day in Bergen and I had no choice but to stay at a very expensive hotel.As Marija suggested you should stay in smaller towns near the city.If you have the chance visit ALESUND which is a dream but there, also I stayed at an expensive hotel.I didn't have time to waste and didn't want to drag my "little"bag around........If by any chance you pass by a city called STRYN I stayed at a very nice B&B on my way to Briksdal - Besla Pensionat -Tel +47 57871006 - Fax +47 57871938.
BRIKSDAL GLACIER is unbelievable, I walked up the mountain for 1h20m (they have transportation but I wanted to walk)Take a bus to Jostedalsbreen Nasjonalpark and from there you can walk or not up the mountain.To be so near and to touch the Glacier was thrilling. Be careful and check the schedule for the big boats that you will have to take in the fjords (The trip is beautiful - call Scandinavian Bureau and ask for brochures).I was stranded in a city for 2 days because the boat wouldn't pass by during the weekend.The hotels are never free before 3Pm, so plan to arrive in the cities around that time.What else ? My fingers are tired !!!!!!!!!! I didn't go to Oslo. If you buy the airpass go to Stockholm.You will love it. When I went (June) there was night(got dark) only from 2 to 3 in the morning.I think you have enough to help you. I'm planning my next trip for next month to Hungary and Croatia . If anybody knows anything about them please send me the clues. Good luck on your trip Bebel

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:24 AM
bebel

Santi, READ THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE
As you must have found out I know a lot about trips but I know nothing about computers so I used your address instead of mine .Great,isn't it ? But here it goes. Bebel

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 05:04 PM
santi

thank you so much for your help... I really appreciate it!!