Search

Trip to Munich

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Dave

Trip to Munich

My wife and I and six of tour friends are leaving for Munich next week. This is a trip we make every couple of years, and we always have a lot of fun. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, the attack last week has put everything in doubt. We are concerned with safety, yes, but our real concern is that we may get stuck over there. Not that i would mind, but we do have 3 teenagers at home. <BR> <BR>What is the current status of flights back to the US?? Are they full? When will things get back to normal (never, I know, but how about equilibrium)??

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Mika

I fthere isn't a next terrorist attack I would say that flights to the US. will be back to normal by the time you are going back. The check in time is much longer, here in Switzerland it is 3 hours minimum.( at the moment). The People of Munich were very concerned about their Oktoberfest because they already had a bomb explosion years ago. <BR>Some festivities are cancelled. <BR>Our neighbour is stuck in the US. she was there on business and will come back end of this week. I am looking after her kids. Probably you have neighbours too.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Dick

The easy thing to do is to check with your airline. American Airlines website shows all flights currently flying or cancelled. I'm sure the other airlines are doing the same. <BR> <BR>Your question is pretty rhetorical. Go to the source. <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Dave

My question was meant to be somewhat rhetorical. The airlines, while being more honest during this event, have a vested interest in me flying. I was really looking for comments from folks who have been travelling this week or are connected with the travel industry. <BR> <BR>Only one data point, that's for sure. Our airline has been very helpful and accomodating. They've already rebooked us on a better connection without any hassle.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:44 AM
Paige

Hey Dave! I live in Munich. If all heck breaks loose and you get stuck here and need some help, send me an e-mail. Have fun!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:40 PM
Bob Brown

I returned from Munich on Thursday to Philadelphia on US Airways flight 15. <BR>I asked the flight attendant how full the flight was and she said there were 176 passengers, 20 under capacity. <BR>Given the low number of Americans flying these days, I would not be worried about getting home, if you have a confirmed reservation. The airlines need customers in the worst sort of a way. <BR> <BR>If there is any delay in the future other than for weather, I think it is going to be in the USA where we don't seem to quite get the fact that the terrorists can breach our security when the need arises. As the current issue of the Economist stated, air port security in the USA has been a fools' paradise of curb side check-in, loose security standards, and negligence. <BR> <BR>By contrast, security at the Munich airport was tight. I received the most thorough search that I ever went through, anywhere. The people running the x ray machines know what they are doing, and every body coming through the security gate was frisked by a competent frisker. <BR>My luggage was opened and every thing questionable was checked, such as AA batteries, walkman style radio, small flashlight, etc. I even had to take out my camera and snap the shutter. <BR> <BR>The "frisker" who gave me the works showed me a box of what they were looking for. There was quite a collection of knives, dagger-like scissors, and other objects with long, sharp points. I wonder if I could have gotten a paper clip past them. <BR> <BR>After arrival in Philadelphia, the scene changed. It was the usual huddle muddle of going through an incompetent immigration control followed by the usual bunglesome customs control, followed by another round of frivilous security checks that seemed no different on Sept 20 than they did on September 9. <BR>The line for people coming off of international flights to be re screened before being allowed to go elsewhere was said to be 50 minutes long. <BR> <BR>Because of the long wait, we left the International Terminal and walked in the rain to Terminal B where we went through a cursory security check. <BR> <BR>I thought it was hilarious because compared to the procedures in Munich that were carried out by well trained pros, this one reeked of amateurism. <BR> <BR>My assessment from this limited sample is that if there is any further trouble it will not be in Europe; it will be another hijacking from an American airport. <BR> <BR>I say go to Oktoberfest and guzzle the brew. <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:13 PM
gaia

I just read in a newspaper today, that 20% of the Munich hotels are empty, because a lot of Americans have cancelled.....

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:09 PM
Eva

We flew back from Munich to Wash.Dulles on Sept. 17, after waiting 5 days to get a flight out. Security is tight in Munich and also in London . We had to be at airport 3 hrs. in Munich and had a layover in London for almost 4 hrs., and it took about all that time. I was frisked once, but our bags were not opened. All knives, nailfiles and other sharp objects have to be in checked luggage and not in carryon.Both planes were filled with only a few empty seats, but that was a time "everyone" got "stuck" and tried to get home. <BR>I'd think things run smoother now, during our efforts to fly home it was more hectic, but I hope security will not grow more lax. Munich would be much more fun in more "normal" times than what we experienced. Also the weather was not good during our stay. Everyone was saying it was unusual, almost like in Nov., so I hope you'll have better luck !!!