Search

Trip to London/Liverpool

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to London/Liverpool

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, so go easy on me. We are looking at a 7-8 night trip to London and Liverpool departing Sept. 26. We always been cruisers, and this has been a lot more stressful than trying to plan one of those. Any advice appreciated!

Specifically, where to stay in London that does not require my first-born? Also, we are considering flying into London, then back out of Liverpool as it is the same price, should I be afraid of the connection through Amsterdam?
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM

" should I be afraid of the connection through Amsterdam?"

As long as it's on KLM from Liverpool to one of its partner airlines, not at all. It will be a very great deal less stressful than getting a train back to London, or another city with intercontinental flights, and hiking out to the airport.

If you're seriously thinking of using EasyJet to Amsterdam, don't. perfectly decent airline, but horrid connections.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM

Hotels in London can be quite expensive, but I've stayed at Premier Inns in the past, and found them to be a great value. Premier Inn is a large UK hotel chain. We last staid at the Premier Inn Southwark in London. Rates were very reasonable and the location was great.

Regarding your flight options, Amsterdam Schippol airport is one of the busiest airports in Europe. I've yet to fly through there, but several of my co-workers have, and they all speak quite highly of it. As long as you allow a reasonable amount of time for connecting flights, you'll be fine.

finally, when planning, fight the urge to over-schedule yourself. 7 or 8 nights is actually a pretty short amount of time, so don't try to see/do everything. Pick a few "must do" activities, then be sure to allow time in your schedule for unplanned activities. Don't get too stressed As long as you have a way to get there, a way to get home, and a place to sleep, you can always figure out the rest when you get there...
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Specifically, where to stay in London that does not require my first-born?</i>"

That sort of depends on what you first born would bring on the open market

But honestly -- what is your budget?
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

I would honestly love to keep it at 100 pounds at night or so for a hotel, I have been looking at the premier inns a good bit.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM

For a double -- or are you bringing your first born along?

If it is a family -- then Premier Inns are generally good. But for a double, bidding priceline is even better. You can get a 3or 4 star full service hotel for $100-$150-ish (£60-£90) plus taxes/fees. PL only deals in doubles though so for a family it won't work.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I don't actually have a "first-born" yet, I guess I should have been a little more specific (I don't want to give up the right to a first-born!). Priceline was another option, as are B&B's (the wife likes that kind of thing). Are there any areas to avoid or Priceline's map?
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM

I was just kidding about the first born -- mainly asking whether you are a couple or a family.

Some PL zones are a pain -- but several are very good and no specific 'win' would be a problem. Zones 5, 8, and 11 are generally best. #13 (Westminster) used to be best but PL re-drew the zone to pick up Vauxhall so you are almost guaranteed to get south of the river if you bid 4 star. #1 (Bloomsbury/Marble Arch) would be fine, the worst you'd get is Kings Cross which is very good for transport etc. But just not my favorite area.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM

If you are going to visit London,you can try best places of london city.I also visited there twice times and i found it a awesome place.You can have best museums,hotel,galleries and many more places.Can i ask you one question that what is your budget so that i can let you know.