Reload this Page >

Trip to Italy (Florence and Rome)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Greg

I am planning an upcoming trip to both Florence and Rome and was hoping to get some feedback from the many experienced travelers. These are my main areas of feedback. <BR> <BR>1. Hotels - since I don't go to Italy often I want to stay in a very high quality hotel (min. 4 stars) located close to the shopping areas of both cities. Two fabulous hotels in Paris are the Sofitel Le Faubourg and Hotel Westminster (as a point of reference). I would like to try and keep the rates under $400 US per night (double) <BR> <BR>2. I was thinking to take the train from Rome to Florence. Is this the smartest way to travel this route? Are the stations in each city located centrally. <BR> <BR>3. Since my flight back to the states connects out of Rome, can I take a train back to Rome Fiumicino Airport directly from Florence? <BR> <BR>Many thanks and I will try and give my experience back to all of you upon my return.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Betsy

Greg <BR> <BR>1. Sorry, no experience with hotels in that price range <BR>2. Definitely and yes <BR>3. No, you have to go from Florence through the station (Termini) in Rome to get to Fiumicino, but I think you can buy your ticket all the way through to Fiumicino in Florence. That will save you the hassle of standing in line at Termini to buy a ticket to Fiumicino. <BR> <BR>Looking forward to your post when you return. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Dona

Greg, <BR> <BR>In Rome, you may want to try the D'Inghilterre. <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Dean Gold

Hi <BR> <BR>Having travelled in Itlay several times, I would reccomend that you book an apartment in each city for a week. That way you can experience the real feeling of the ciies. At a $400 a night hotel, you migh as well be in Manhattan! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Surlok

Greg, <BR> <BR>Very nice 4 stars plus hotels in Rome are: <BR> <BR>Hotel de Russie <BR>Hotel Eden <BR>Hotel Hassler <BR>Hotel Excelsior <BR> <BR>In Florence: <BR> <BR>Hotel Savoy <BR>Hotel Helvetia&Bristol <BR>Hotel Regency <BR>Hotel Lungarno (design hotel) <BR> <BR>Betsy already answered your other questions. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone who is paying about 400 dollars per night for a hotel room, gets into the hassle of changing trains in Termini to get to Fiumicino. A private transfer from Florence to FCO by car would be much more convenient and sensible. Another possibility would be flying to Rome from Florence or Pisa. <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:46 PM
x

Comrade Gold, <BR> <BR>What is wrong with spending any amount on an hotel room? Just because a person is spending money on a nice hotel doesn't mean that they won't get a feel for a city--or do you expect that in your little mental people's republic every visitor has to wait six months for phone service, or bribe everyone in site in order to have their trash picked up properly?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:25 AM
x

?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:03 AM
Rex

Greg, <BR> <BR>Although I have only walked through (and had lunch there), I think that the Minerva (formerly Crowne Plaza Minerva) would suit even the most discriminating tastes - - and what a marvelous location! <BR> <BR>I have also walked through (and had dinner at) the St. Regis Grand at Piazza della Repubblica - - Europe's newest self-proclamined candidate for "most elegant hotel on the continent", following its year-long closure and multi-dozen billion lire makeover. But its location does less for me than Minerva. <BR> <BR>If by "shopping areas" you mean the Via Condotti/Piazza di Spagna area - - perhaps neither one is as good as suggestion as some of those offered by Surlok. But I am not convinced that the "best" shopping means necessarily the concentration of HIGH-END shopping you find there. Is the quest for $10,000 (USD) dresses part of the objective? <BR> <BR>And I agree with Surlok on transportation back to FCO. I'd hire a taxi or private driver to FLR (15 minute ride) and fly - - rather than fight the hour(-plus?) ride from Termini to FCO. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:03 PM
Diane

Greg, <BR> <BR>You might want to check out the Hotel dei Mellina at [email protected]. Very nice and hard to get into, also the hotel de Russie has gotten some nice comments, their site is www.rhhotels.com. Good luck.