Search

Trip to Ireland including Genealogy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Ireland including Genealogy

Hello!

I am starting to plan a summer journey to Ireland which hopefully will include some ancestral sites. I have been researching my Irish family lines for about 20 years. I have decided to make at least 2 trips to Ireland. The second trip will include Sligo, Cavan & Northern Ireland.

This upcoming trip will include Dublin (family was from the Liberties & St. Catherine's Parish), Cork (family was from Clonakilty Parish, Knockskagh/Crohane), Killarney National Park, Dingle peninsula, Cliffs of Moher, possibly Galway city. I also would like to make an ancestral stop on the way to Cork to see the townlands of Ballyraggan, Knockpatrick & Graney- Baltinglass Parish/St. Patrick's Rathvilly.

Also considering a trip to the Aran islands or Skellig Michael if weather permits, husband loves Star Wars.

I need help planning the time needed & where to stay/stop in between Dublin & Killarney NP. We will likely spend 3 nights each in Dublin & Killarney NP. We will have a car.

Would it make sense to stay in Clonakility 2-3 nights with some stops on the way? Or would you recommend another place to stay in Southwest Cork? I am interested in seeing the Famine Museum in Skibbereen & the Port in Cobh. I love anything that has to do with genealogy & heritage. I am still researching places to visit but please add any ideas that you find fascinating.

Would you take a night or two to stay around Kildare/Carlow or perhaps even Kilkenny to see the areas mentioned above plus other suggestions like Rock of Cashel? I can't make the whole trip about genealogy or my family will go crazy. Unlike Sligo & Cavan where family still owns & lives on the original farms, I do not know of existing family in Kildare or Cork. Although I could drive by every farm in each townland and imagine the possibilities.

Any recommendations for a distillery to visit? We will tour the Guinness Storehouse as I had an ancestor who once worked there. Ironically the only family line out of 16 total surnames that I have yet to trace to an exact townland is Hennessy.

Something else I am interested in is seeing an old Poor Law Union Workhouse, such an interesting part of Irish history. Has anyone been to the one at Donaghmore or Portumna?

I have not decided on a final number of days for the trip yet somewhere between 12-15, I may spend some time up front doing research in Dublin before my family arrives to travel together.

Sorry this is so long. I would be so grateful for any recommendations especially for that segment between Dublin & Killarney, too many things to see along the way. And if there was somewhere you stayed that was fabulous as well. I have not started with Hotels B&BS or apartments yet.

Sincerely,

4Leafclover
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 05:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Hello, try rome2rio.com for distances. You have to map out where you would like to stop along the way. I love the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough.
I would head to Cork from Dublin but stay in Midleton, best distillery tour but a short distance to Blarney Castle, Cork City and Cobh which you should visit. You can also take the train from Midleton to Cobh. You would not have to deal with parking in Cork or Cobh. Only thing is that I really wanted to see the graveyard thinking it would be at St Colemans but it is a couple of miles away. I was trying to find my friend's Great Grandmother's grave to take a picture but didn't get there. Do you know if your relatives left from there?
Clonakilty is beautiful and close to Michael Collin's birthplace and where he was killed. Not sure it warrants a stay with your time restraints. Maybe head from Cork to Killarney. More later. Ireland is my heart and love it there. So many nice vacation cottages and house or apartments you can rent for three or more nights.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Macross for all the suggestions!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 04:14 PM

That would be fun to go before they all get there and do some research. Dublin is great for exploring on your own. I wander all over the place and always find new things. Airbnbs are good and really cheap but make suer you are close to pubs and shops so you can drink. We loved Midleton distillery but Tullamore was nice and Killbeggon. In Dingle you can visit the Dingle gin distillery. My fav gin. There is a great recent trip report on Dingle. I need to find it for you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 04:24 PM

England and Ireland - 3.5 weeks without a rental car Very good report on Ireland and the best pictures.