Search

trip to France.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
pat

trip to France.

Thanks to you guys, I am finally getting my trip to France together. (Sept). Thanks Rex! At present we are flying into Paris to spend some time, then taking the TGV to Marseille to spend time with relatives in Cadenet. I would like to add a barge or river boat cruise somewhere between Paris and Marseille. It would be for a week or less. I want to see small villages, vineyards or in other words, the more rural life. Where should I go for the river cruise? We don`t want to drive the boat. It also can`t cost a fortune. Does the TGV go to Burgundy? What about a cruise out of Paris? And, yes, I did use the search engine for past entries. Any suggestions?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Rex

You're welcome.<BR><BR>How many are "you"? I am somewhat interested in a trip to France in the fall (though my preference might need to push it into October - - and my first choice might be more western, like Brittany, and then south from there). Still some portion of the trip by boat might be fun, if there were kindred souls wanting to make it a (partial?) "Fodorites' trip"?<BR><BR>Check out www.locaboat.com for the various boat options, although I think that the leading choices are all self-drive. It's darn near a no-brainer, I think, though I have never done it. It does keep you busy 3-4 hours every day, as many of the popular routes have 2-4 locks every hour in some portions (takes 5-8 minutes to get through a lock, as I understand it).<BR><BR>TGV, to Burgundy? Well, yes, i am pretty sure. Dijon, for one - - check www.sncf.com for details.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:12 PM
ttt

to the top, for pat...<BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Gretchen

Try looking at the Abercrombie&Kent website for barge trips. They are usually 6 days. It is a very relaxing trip and totally enjoyable. There are cruises on the Seine out of Paris on a fairly large river cruiser. One goes to the various villages of impressionist art. When looking at that itinerary it can be done on day trips from Paris as easily (and cheaper). Another possibility would be renting a car in Dijon, e.g., and driving through the Burgundy region.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:55 AM
btA

check luxurylink.com, sometimes they have discounted barge trips.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:54 PM

topping<BR>