Search

Trip to Bavaria during G7 Summit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Bavaria during G7 Summit

Dear All,
I am traveling to Bavaria in June 2015 with my husband and have already booked my flight tickets. I am flying from Mumbai, India into Munich.
Below is my schedule:
June 4,5- Munich
June 6,7,8- GaP with day trips to Mittenwald, Neuschwanstein Castle and Zugspitze
June 9,10- Hall in Tirol
June 11- Zell Am See
June 12- Hallstatt
June 13,14,15- Berchtesgaden
June 16,17,18- Vienna
Flying out of Vienna on June 19th Morning.
Need some help in understanding the implication of G7 Summit held between June 7-8 in Garmisch-P. Do I have to worry considerably about this summit? I am facing a hard time finding rooms during this time in hotels. Just called Zugspitze whether it will be open on June 7/8. They confirmed that it will remain open. Also, I am not interested in visiting the inside of N castle. I really don't want to re-schedule my trip!
Got to know about a Bilderberg conference held in Tyrol between June 9-14. However, it is not as big an event as G7.
Please suggest if there is a way to still shuffle my itinerary..eg- do Berchtesgaden first and then complete Bavaria towards the end of my trip? But that will mean going all the way back to Vienna..I am really confused
Appreciate your help!

- Aditi
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 06:50 PM

Look at hotels in Grainau. It seems the summit is outside of Garmisch closer to Mittenwald. Great bus system there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 09:06 PM

Hi Aditi,

Yes, it's likely the G7 is going to disrupt things here. The access to Elmau is outside of Garmisch toward Mittenwald, so all the roads and hotels are going to be very busy. You should expect to be delayed or re-routed on occasion or have your identity checked.

You're doing the right thing in seeing if the sights you want to see will be open to the public at that time; just continue to do that to make sure you can get where you want to go.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks do much for your replies.. Do I have to worry about this bilderberg conference in Tirol as well?
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:45 AM

I don't know what you like to do so I will just overlay my interests. Hall is picturesque but not worth 2 days. The same with Berchtesgaden. you left out Salzburg, a great place to visit. If you are renting a car for touring Bavaria and the Tyrol you may consider dropping it off in the same country where you rent it to save the drop fee. You can catch a train to Vienna from your last stop.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 01:24 PM

You could take the train to Mittenwald and miss the traffic altogether. I think that resort is very isolated and security will be tight but it is off the main road.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi..
My plan is to visit Hintertux from Hall in Tirol for summer skiing.. Have also taken a confirmation whether it will be open during the Summit.
I am staying in Berchtesgaden as a base with day trips to Salzburg and chiemsee.