Trip to Austria

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:40 AM
manish

Trip to Austria

We are planning to go to Austria for 3nites/4days during the last week of September. Can anyone advise whether it is possible/worth doing both Vienna and Salzburg. Also please advise places of interest.

Sep 5th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Art

IMO, I'd rather visit Salzburg. Vienna has some beautiful gardens in the sprint/summer/fall but probably would not have much left now. Salzburg is a charming city. The castle is worth a few hours, just wandering around the city (it is not very large). Day trips to Berchesgarten and/or Heilbrunn would be very worth while. Sorry I didn't see this soomer.
Regards,
Art

Sep 5th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Leslie

Vienna has beautiful architecture. Go to St. Stephen's Church, the Opera House, view the enormous ferris wheel, Schonbrunn Palace and the Royal Horse Riding Academy. Take the tram along the Ring Road for a great view of the architecture. Vienna has plenty to offer, great museums, lots of music and concerts. I've heard some complain that the sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel was not as good as it once was, so instead, try the apple strudel lathered in the vanilla pudding. Vienna is the city of Johann Strauss and my favorite city in Europe, but then my last name is Strauss, so I may be slightly biased.

On the other hand, Salzburg is a very pretty town, more like a village and a 1/2 day of sightseeing is probably sufficient.

Have a great trip, I'm envious of you.

Best,

Leslie

Sep 5th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Heather

If the opportunity presented itself, I would pull up stakes and relocate to Salzburg in a heartbeat, so my answer is (not surprisingly) Salzburg. As you wisely noted, trying to do both in your time is too rushed.

As Art mentioned, the daytrips from Salzburg to Berchesgarten and Hellbrunn are very doable and well worth the time. I did a trip report on Salzburg, which (if the system is working for you) you can find easist by searching for "Piran", that mentions the daytrips and sightseeing highlights of my last trip. If the search function doesn't work, I can find my notes for you if you're interested.

If you end up in Vienna, stop by one of my favorite little chocolate shops ... Confiserie Altmann & Kühne
Am Graben 30
A-1010 Vienna
Phone: +43-1-533 09 27

We bought Opera tickets the day of performance, but it was November with less crowds. The Opera house is beautiful and the music store there is mind-boggling in the selection and staff knowledge.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful vacation!

Sep 5th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Carla

Just to even out the vote, I'd have to strongly recommend Vienna. If you stay within the Ring you can see so much in 4 days, and still have much left over to see. Salzburg is a lovely town, but Vienna has so much more to offer.

If you want to see both, it IS possible to take a day train trip from Vienna to Salzburg, but it would be a long day.