Trip Suggestions - Umbria, Tuscany, Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Italy Sept. 2011. We have 14 full days (not counting travel days). Because we were able to take advantage of free miles we are flying into and out of Rome. We have spent time in Rome so we don't plan to stay there other than the night before our return . We plan to catch a train to Orvieto (or some other town) and rent a car. We want to spend time exploring Umbria and Tuscany, but we want to make a base so we aren't packing and moving too frequently. Perhaps 4 nights one location and 4 another. We also want to spend several days in Cinque Terre for the hiking and scenery. We enjoy seeing the countryside, historical sites, bicycling, hiking, wine, food, sitting in a piazza soaking up the culture and watching people. We will want to spend at least one day in Florence for art and museums, but our focus isn't on spending a lot of time inside. Any suggestions on base locations or other things/places we must see or do would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:00 PM

cslater,
This may help http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM

You could use Siena and Perugia as bases for Tuscany and Umbria respectively. But your first night would probably be in Orvieto because you do not want to drive after an overnight flight and then a train ride with transfer time in between.

Browsing through the different sets of this collection might give you some ideas of what to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623039746640/

Deruta, Assisi, San Gimignano, Volterra, Todi were all seen as day trips from one base or another.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Michael & Henry. Both good suggestions.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM

I live on the Italian Riviera so of course I think it's lovely, but given your description of your interests and the necessity to fly in and out of Rome, I'll suggest you don't come as far north as le Cinque Terre. Instead, hike in the Maremma area of Tuscany, and swim at its unspoiled beaches. Or go to Elba. The Maremma in particular is unspoiled and a real discovery. You have plenty of time to research the area.

After Orvieto, I would head into Umbria with a car. I would pick a good agriturismo for your stay. If you love art (and chocolate), don't miss a trip into Perugia to see its incredibly enlightening art museum. But don't drive your car in Perugia. Park it in a town like Foligno (or your agriturismo can suggest another with a train station) and take the train in.

Then I suggest you swing back through the Chianti area, basing near Siena so you can use a bus from Siena to take a day trip into Florence, but also do some scenic driving through southern Tuscany. (An agriturismo around Asciano or Buonconvento, in the hills, might be good for that).

Then drive a scenic route to the Maremma area (try to see San Galgano on the way), base on the coast or in the hills for hikes and swims with beaches you'll have entirely to yourself.

I'm not recommending this place to stay, just linking to it because it has some nice pictures of the scenery.

http://www.tenutauccellina.it/gallery.asp

All through this region there are also beautiful towns, like Massa Marittima or Magliano in Toscano and others to explore.

You'd have an easy drive from there to Rome airport.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Look at Genius Loci in Umbria as a perfect location to explore.
Also look at Terre di Nano, Fattoria Tregole, and Borgo Argenina in Tuscany. I like your trip.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Look at Genius Loci in Umbria as a perfect location to explore.
Also look at Terre di Nano, Fattoria Tregole, and Borgo Argenina in Tuscany. I like your trip.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM

cslater,
I think your plans sound wonderful too. If it were me and I was planning to use a car the whole time, I would want to stay outside the cities you are considering as bases. I know driving around and parking in Siena is not easy, and others here have said Perugia is really tough!

I like zeppole's advice to use public trans for the days you want to visit these cities.

I've stayed in Orvieto, Assisi, Spello, and Gubbio. Also in Montalcino and San Sano (Chianti). Loved everywhere. I was surprised how easy it was to drive in/out of Montalcino, so some hilltowns are easier than others. I also liked being able to walk to dinner in town each evening.

The only place not in a hilltown that I can personally recommend is Hotel Residence San Sano****. Lovely, tiny village.

Buon viaggio
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM

Perugia would not make a good base for daytrips by car. The historic center is nice, but there's a lot of urban sprawl you'd have to make your way through, going and coming. I like Bevagna for Umbria. It's on the flat so easy to drive to and from, and it's fairly central.

For Fodorites' favorite southern Tuscany, Pienza and San Quirico d'Orcia make good bases.

My criteria for a base for day trips by car: small- or medium-sized town, easy access to the road, a choice of restaurants within walking distance so we can have wine with dinner after a day of heavy sightseeing and walk back to our hotel. (Italy has very strict drunk-driving laws.)
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Perugia is an excellent base if you're using buses and trains to get around.

With a car, I like Spoleto. We've stayed at a hotel at the bottom of the town, just a couple of turns from roads heading in all directions. There's a supermarket a block from this hotel and several good restaurants in the town.

http://www.hotelsanluca.com/index_eng.php

http://www.theamericanmag.com/dining...9&city=Spoleto
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great information. I obviously need to do more research as I have not heard of some of the towns and area mentioned. I sort of had my heart set on Cinque Terre but it sounds like Maremma might be a better option (less tourists). We probably won't keep our car the entire time and do want to see the hill towns. I truly wish we had 2 months rather than 2 weeks. There are so many places to see but we are determined NOT to do the "If it's Tuesday, this must be Rome". I'd rather spend more time in less places and come back for more.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Here's where we are at this point... Fly into Rome, train to Florence, 2 nights in Florence (explore museums, etc), train to Cinque Terre, 4 nights in Vernazza (hiking, beach, explore other villages in CT, possible train or boat trips to other Riviera towns nearby), train to Lucca, p/u rental car and drive to Southern Tuscany, 7 nights in Pienza as a base, day trips to other Tuscan villages and hill towns, some cycling. Drive to Orvieto, return car, train to Rome, last night in Rome. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good to me, although I love Florence so much I'd want more than 2 nights (only one full day) there especially if this is immediately on arrival when jet lag could slow things down. I might give up a day in the CT, but that's just my preference.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Nice trip---have fun !
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM

another bookmark for me.