Trip Report -Switzerland

Search

Trip Report -Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM
to_switzerland

Trip Report -Switzerland

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all who helped me plan a wonderful trip to Switzerland. We had a great time there! We went to Bern, Lucerne, the Bernese Oberland region, and the Lake Geneva area. We probably packed a lot of places into the trip, but made sure we did not get exhausted.
Here is a mini-trip report:

We flew to Geneva from the U.S., and took a train directly to Bern. Pension Marthahaus in Bern was clean, adequate, and close to the city center. The first two days we spent in Bern was not great weather-wise but we had a wonderful time anyway! Bern is a small, walkable city full of history.

The next day we took a train to Lucerne, and the weather did not let up still! Lucerne was thoroughly enjoyable and charming. We did a walking tour there, with information and maps that we got from the Tourist Information (TI) center. By the way, all the TIs we visited in Switzerland had lots of information and are useful for getting tips and maps. Later in the evening, we took a boat to Weggis since it was covered in the Swiss Pass. Although we did a day trip to Lucerne from Bern, Weggis seemed like a great place to stay. Our choice to stay in Bern was dictated by hotel prices and availability.

The next day, we took a train to our next stop, Lauterbrunnen. Bernese Oberland region is full of snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, fresh air and greenery!! Due to the rains in the previous few days, the moutains had lots of snow on them. Although I have never been to Yosemite, many travelers I met there compared Lauterbrunnen to Yosemite valley, but without the crowds. Hotel Staubbach in Lauterbrunnen was spotless and our room had a wonderful view of the Staubbach falls. The Oberland restaurant lived up to all the reviews on this forum - we had many dishes to choose from despite being vegetarians. We hiked a variety of trails in our 3 days there, and they were all wonderful. Gimmelwald was charming, with spectacular views all around!!!

We spent the last couple of days of our trip in the Lake Geneva area. And stayed in Les Negociants hotel in Vevey. We hiked from village to village through the vineyards, with lake Geneva in the background.
This is a rather short trip report, compared to many others I have read, but thought I would post it anyway.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, to Switzerland,

thanks for posting. It was short but sweet.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

regards, ann
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the Les Negociants hotel in Vevey? Was 3 days enough or did you wish you had more days in the Bernese Oberland region? Thanks.

Pat
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
to_switzerland

Thanks Ann.

Pat - Les Negociants was clean like all the hotels we stayed in Switzerland, and was one of the lower priced hotels in the area. Breakfast was adequate (rolls, cream, orange juice and coffee), although located near the main market square it was quiet, and its about 2 blocks to lake Geneva. Its a 5 - 10 minute walk from the train station in Vevey.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:49 AM
to_switzerland

Oh and to your other question about 3 days being enough in BO - it was enough for us I thought, although I could spend an entire month there if I had the chance We like to hike, and we spent about 2 days hiking some of the popular trails - there are easy, flat trails and then there are harder ones. On the 3rd day, we went to Interlaken and took a boat ride to Brienz. If we had another day there, we would have liked to visit the Ballenberg museum. We did not go to the revolving restaurant in Schilthorn although that excursion seem to be popular. How long were you thinking of going?

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning a trip to Switzerland in early June next year, still waiting for Continental to free up the award seats. I have tentatively booked 3 nights in Zurich (Marriott points), 5 nights in Hotel Staubbach, 3 nights in Les Negociants, and have 2 nights slotted for Zumatt between OB and Vevey but no reservations. I might cut BO short a day or two depending on the Continental schedule.

Pat
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
to_switzerland

Sounds like a good schedule Pat. Hotel Staubbach has a great view of the falls.