Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trip Report: Mosel -> Munich (10 Nights) in May

Trip Report: Mosel -> Munich (10 Nights) in May

Mar 25th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Trip Report: Mosel -> Munich (10 Nights) in May

This forum was incredibly helpful in planning my trip last May. Rather than give a detailed report, I thought I’d share our itinerary, as well as a few highlights/lowlights. We stayed in Cochem (3 Nights), Würzburg (3 Nights), Garmisch (3 Nights), and Munich (1 Night), and used public transit for everything except Day 7, where we rented a car for a day.

Itinerary:
Day 0: Overnight flight from US to Berlin
Day 1: Fly Berlin to Cologne. See Dom, then train to Cochem (Sleep Cochem)
Day 2: Bike Ride along Mosel (Sleep Cochem)
Day 3: Reichsburg Cochem & Burg Eltz (Sleep Cochem)
Day 4: Travel day. Rhine River Cruise & trains to Würzburg (Sleep Würzburg)
Day 5: Würzburg (Sleep Würzburg)
Day 6: Bamberg (Sleep Würzburg);
Day 7: Drive to Garmisch, visits to Rothenburg & Neuschwanstein (Sleep Garmisch)
Day 8: Garmish, Lake Eibsee (Sleep Garmisch)
Day 9: Linderhof, Ettal Abbey (Sleep Garmisch)
Day 10: Munich (Sleep Munich)
Day 11: Early morning flight back to US (through Berlin)

Highlights:
1. Biking along the Mosel:
We rented our bikes the night before and our pension (Pension Lange, highly recommend) kindly let us store them in the garage for the night. We then took a morning train with our bikes to Urzig and found our way down to the river (not as straight forward as I expected, get a map!). Once on the river, everything was easy. We backtracked to Bernkastel and had breakfast to start our day before biking to Cochem with stops in several of the other towns along the way. I believe we biked just under 90km!
2. Castles/Palaces: We toured Reichsburg Cochem (in German), Burg Eltz, Linderhof Palace, Marienberg Fortress, and the Würzburg Residenz. We also visited Neuschwanstein and Nymphenburg Palace (without touring), and saw many other castles from the Rhine river cruise. Burg Eltz was my favorite and the tour was very interesting. The Würzburg Residenz was also an unexpected highlight. We probably could have done without the tour inside Marienberg Fortress, but otherwise all were very much worthwhile!
3. Partnach Gorge in Garmisch-Partenkirchen: We almost skipped this, but it ended up being way more impressive than any of the pictures online can convey. If you are staying in this area, find a couple hours to visit this gorge!

Lowlights:
1. Trains: They were striking, and everything just took longer and ran less frequently than usual. Day 4 was an especially big disaster, it took us over twice as long to get from the Rhine river to Würzburg – all the afternoon ICEs that would have worked for us were cancelled!
2. Rain in the Bavarian Alps: 3 nights ended up being too much for Garmisch, mostly because it was rainy and overcast most of the time we were there. So some of the hiking we had planned no longer sounded fun, and there weren’t a lot of indoor options that appealed to us. That being said, Partnach Gorge, Linderhof, and Ettal Abbey are all good rainy day activities. And Garmisch was beautiful despite the weather, we were glad we included it in our trip.

Overall, we had a fantastic trip! Happy to answer any questions
Mar 25th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Nice report - biking along the Mosel is so so great -I've done it many times - always going downriver because winds can blow in your face if going up river.

Glad you got to bike the Mosel and yes once on the river you just cannot get lost - take a wrong turn and you're going up a steep slope.

Any problems taking your bikes on the train.
Mar 25th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Partnach Gorge is beautiful in the winter also. Did you hike up and over it also? Sorry you got so much rain while there.
Mar 25th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ: no problems with the bikes on the train. In fact, it was so uneventful, I don't really even remember the train ride! I just remember trying to figure out how to get from the train station down to the river. The Urzig train station is really tucked away up on the hill!

flpab: We only had time to hike through it and turn around. The gorge originally wasn't even part of our plans, so we didn't wander over there until late afternoon. Benefit of showing up late was no admission fee though. I bet it is stunning in the winter ... someday!
Mar 26th, 2016, 04:40 AM

Glad you enjoyed the trip, thanks for reporting back.

Search this Thread