Trip Report Montreux/Wengen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Switzerland and I'm so appreciative of all the advice I received on these posts. Excuse all the typos I'm about to make, but jet lag is still winding down.
We flew via Frankfurt into Geneva and picked up our 15-day Swiss Pass at the airport, with no hassle at all and the same price I had been seeing online. (I had priced out different options such as the 1/2 fare card, etc., and the Swiss Pass for a family of 4 was by far the better deal. Kids are free and we counted a total of 28 trains we were on during our 11 days in Switzerland....so well worth it.) The Swiss Pass was great since we could just get on and off the trains. Even when we got on one going the wrong way For our longer trips (Golden Pass line from Montreux to Wengen and then Wengen to Basel), we upgraded to 1st class, which wasn't much more money. We were glad we did since there were 4 of us with luggage, and 1st class had so much more room and so fewer people. However, we took 2nd class the rest of the time and it was fine. We were able to get seats together, although the trains were more crowded than I had anticipated. I think we were hitting high tourist season. Day 1, train to Montreux, Royal Plaza (fantastic hotel!) and slept. Day 2, ferry from Montreux to Lausanne to meet up with a friend-of-a-friend who lives in Pully. He took us on a walking tour of Lausanne, including his favorite chocolate shop, back to their flat overlooking the lake for raclette, and then a drive through Lavaux vineyards on our way back to Montreux. The vineyards were beautiful and I wish we had time to explore all the little towns. Day 3, train to Roche de Naye. Enjoyed this and great scenery and walking. Day 4, train to Broc Fabrique and tour of Cailler Chocolate factory. Pretty cool place and the kids (and adults) loved the tasting room. We really liked Montreux. The Jazz Festival was starting the following week, so lots of hustle and bustle getting ready for that. Day 5, Golden Pass to Wengen. Upgraded to 1st class in Montreux and took the panoramic cars. Gorgeous scenery. Rented a chalet in Wengen and it was nice to have the extra space and be able to make some of our own meals. Day 6, train to Jungfrau (Top of Europe). Fabulous views! Husband and son went tubing...daughter wanted to do the zipline but was wearing shorts and since you land in snow, decided against it Definitely worth the money. Day 7, Lauterbrunnen valley and Trammelbach falls...way cool. We did the train/cable car trip that you all had mentioned to Murren/Stechelberg/Gimmewald and took the bus to the falls on the way back to Lauterbrunnen. Day 8, cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen and then the "easy walk" from Mannlichen to KleineScheidegg. Great hike with the kids and we stopped along the way to eat. Day 9, Grindelwald (I think) to Schreckfeld to First to do the First Flier zipline. After the zipline, we stopped at the little restaurant in Shreckfeld prior to getting on the cable car, for lunch. This turned out to be one of the highlights. We sat outside overlooking just gorgeous scenery and had excellent Swiss/German type lunch. Not crowded, seemed very authentic and not touristy at all. Day 10, TGV to Paris. Upgraded to first class on the Swiss Pass from Wengen to Basel and then 2nd class on TGV to Paris. TGV was packed and full of kids. Were wishing we had stayed in Switzerland, or at least checked into flying. Paris was okay. My husband and I have been before and loved it. However, with kids, a completely different experience. I was a nervous wreck trying to keep an eye on the kids with all the people and cars (seem like there are a lot more cars in Paris). We went to the Louvre and it was packed. Later found out that the first Sunday each month is free, which explained that. Wish we had checked that out before going. Did a river cruise on the Seine. Visit to Notre Dame. Our daughter enjoyed it as she takes French in schools so knows more of the language and history than I. We spent 3 nights in Paris and then the TGV back to Geneva. That train ride wasn't so crowded. One night in Geneva before flying home. We did get into the old-town part of Geneva which was cool. Overall, we wish we had skipped Paris and stayed in Switzerland. What a fantastic place and there was so much we didn't see.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:36 AM

Where did you stay in Wengen?

Any place that you would suggest for a nice meal in Wengen?

Thin
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the report!

BTW, and for others who read this, it's sometimes worthwhile to get first class tickets for popular trips like the one to Paris. Particularly in the summertime.

When you buy your tickets far in advance, you can often get fares that are lower than standard 2d class.

s
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

We stayed in a chalet rented by Chalet Services. http://www.chalet-service.ch/en/chalets/search.html
Nothing stood out for dining in Wengen, but we were usually out all day and when we got back, we were looking for something casual that the kids would also like.