Search

TRIP REPORT: Majestic Madrid for New Year's Eve

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRIP REPORT: Majestic Madrid for New Year's Eve

New Year’s Eve in Madrid

Two of our three young adult kids were now in Spain with us and we all hopped aboard the train from Sevilla Santa Justa to Madrid. Our original plan was to spend a full week in Madrid but one of our girls really wanted to experience Sevilla so we split her week between the two cities.

Revulgo and Maribel , thank you again for all of your guidance. I cannot thank you enough for your thoughtful perspective, advice and recommendations. We had the most amazing time in majestic Madrid!

Arrival

We arrived via AVE train in the slick Madrid Atocha Station and followed the signs on the top level to get a taxi. There were plenty lined up and we were off in no time.

Our Apartment

After much deliberation – as is my way – we chose a lovely three-bedroom apartment on Plaza Santa Ana in Barrio de las Letras. It was a perfect location for our first trip to explore Madrid. The apartment was in a very well-kept building, modern, and had a gorgeous stately interior staircase. We had beautiful floor-to-ceiling window doors that opened to small balconies.

Vibe

We were immediately in awe at the beauty of the city architecturally. It felt like Paris to me – grand, elegant, and well-dressed! It’s a big city and was full of life. And even though it was quite cold, there were people sitting at café tables in the plazas, walking the streets and in all of the restaurants. It was very crowded and bustling. Christmas lights were unbelievable! We walked everywhere!

Onto our restaurant adventures next!
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 01:55 AM

lrice,
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the pics. Love Madrid but have never seen at that time of the year🇪🇸
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 12:16 PM

Irice, so glad to hear that your trip seems to have started well. And being there with family makes it all the more special. Good choice to be flexible around allotting some time in Sevilla, that way your daughter felt heard by her veteran traveler parents.
I will make sure to only read your restaurant reports before having supper! That way they'll stoke our appetites.

If ever you and yours might want a musical memento of your trip, there exists a superb compilation of various modern flamenco artists called 'Gypsy Passion: New Flamenco'. Its a 2-CD package dating from '97, one which seems more accessible to our ears than say, the more hard-core 'original guitar masters' style from yesteryear. The songs range from easy-listening instrumentals done by players from across Europe, to old chestnuts like *Camaron de la Isla. I imagine that used copies of this are available online from Amazon et al.

*there also exists a great new doc about Camaron's life that I'd recco as a special DVD gift if you might have any fans of his in your orbit.
I am done. the Madrid
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks danon!

And Zebec, always great to hear from you! We saw a flamenco show in Sevilla on Christmas night followed by dinner. It was a great way to spend the holiday away from home in California. I will private message you about some other travels!
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

MADRID RESTAURANTS

Many thanks again to Maribel and Revulgo for their restaurant recommendations.

TriCiclo
Our first night was at this amazing restaurant! It had a beautiful calm atmosphere with soft lights and intimate tables. We started with the most gorgeous cheese board and negronis. Three hours later we finished after an outstanding dinner, dessert topped off with a glass of champagne from a very old vineyard. Highly recommend!

Restaurant Berlanga
A beautiful walk across El Retiro Park brought us to this lovely warm restaurant. A couple of us ordered paella in advance. The others ordered steak tartare and lamb cutlets. We finished with Expresso Martinis and lemon sorbet. The restaurant was full and rooms were lovely. This was a perfect place to spend the afternoon on New Year’s Eve.

Cervecería Alemana
My husband and daughter are huge Hemingway fans so we had to visit Cervecería Alemana for lunch one day. Located in the Plaza Santa Ana, it was just a few doors down from our apartment. A loud, bright room with average food, it served its purpose. The restaurant still has a table reserved for Hemingway, right next to the window.

Pizza and burgers
The end of a four-week trip, my husband was in the mood for hamburgers. The girls found the most atmospheric small spot, although I don’t remember where we were exactly. We also ended up in a charming Italian restaurant one night for pizza and wine. Both solid American staples mixed in some delicious Spanish restaurants.

Restaurante El Madroño
Of course, we had to have Madroño liquor, made with the fruits of the Madroño tree, the symbol of the city!

Plenti
A charming cafe that we visited after our morning at the Prado. Beautiful baked goods and coffees.

I didn't get any pictures of the nice restaurants. But below are a few street scenes.

Coffee at Cafe Plenti

Last edited by lrice; Mar 21st, 2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 10:04 AM

Lrice,
I’m so sorry to have missed you that day as we were at Barrio Húmedo just a few doors down from Berlanga—so close yet so far away! We both had the flu (as seemingly everyone else in Madrid did) so we left early feeling very under the weather. But I promise that if you return to Madrid, I would love to meet you, also your lovely family. So glad you had a beautiful December in Sevilla and NYE in Madrid. I’ ll be thinking of you on Saturday night as we celebrate my husband’s birthday in Triana and will try to find that square where your husband had a drink with those nice local gentlemen. Your Sevilla photographs were truly inspiring and your enthusiasm and joy of everything you experienced just delightful. Brava!
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 10:34 AM

Irice, I got your PM. Sorry but we've never been to that Jamaican nudist club 'Hedonism II'. So I can't tell you whether they have any special nights for ladies.
Best of luck with your search.
I am done. the query
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Maribel Yes, Steve and I walked down to see you but the maitre d' said you were not there. They were closing but he let us look through the restaurant. Next time for sure! In Triana, the tavern is called Taberna la Plazuela. This is my kind of authentic place: a quiet plaza with locals who insisted we try to olives. Absolutely lovely!

Shoot zebec ! lol I will try searching again!

More to come on Madrid. Just need to tend to my "day job"
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 12:33 PM

lrice, I am enjoying your report and photos of Madrid! The pastries look scrumptious! Love that gold tree! I would love to return to Madrid and Seville some day but we have so many other places to see. Hopefully we will live long enough to do some repeat visits.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 03:12 PM

Hi lrice,
Tuesday is our full Triana day so we’ll go to Taberna la Plazuela and toast to you and your husband
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 07:52 PM

Irice,
Two things. Firstly a question. Did you see any of those posters being produced in situ, the ones where a guy uses ink stamps to spell out your name onto bullfighting or flamenco-dancing promo posters as jokey souvenirs? Those can be fun. But when we once brought a pair of such customized posters home after having some pals' names put on them (a couple who were our friends), it all backfired. The couple accepted those gift posters but then immediately informed us that they were getting divorced!

Secondly, I kid you not about one aspect of that above nudist club. We actually did once stay right next door, during Xmas '91. One day, our taxi trailed behind the resort's truck and we read the promo slogan for the resort which was displayed across the back of the truck. At home one week later, we worked that slogan into a catchy, pseudo-reggae jingle designed for that specific resort. My band's old keyboardist owned a professional recording studio and his main clients (the famed band 'Rush') were away that month. So he gave us some free time there to record the jingle with him singing--he was also a professional vocalist.

We subsequently mailed a tape of that jingle in a pitch to the resort, offering to trade a free stay in exchange for the jingle. They passed but sent us free t-shirts.
I am done. The commercial
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 08:02 PM

Ohhh, New Years in Madrid, a dream I have ! Thank you for this report and pictures, I love Madrid! I usually stay in Barrio Las Letras, but always in a hotel , but looking now for an apartment. Could you share a link to the apartment you rented? Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

KarenWoo Yes, we feel the pressure too! So much to see. So little time!
Maribel
zebec I don't recall posters produced in situ. Bummer about your friends but your heart was in the right place! I need to hear more about your band! My husband is deep into guitar lessons. Needless to say, David Bowie plays in the back of my head day in and day out.
cruiseluv I will PM the link to you!

Onto more about Madrid!
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

MADRID SIGHTS AND ACTIVITIES

Arts and Crafts Fair on Paseo de Recoletos
This exhibition of artisan gift items was a great way to spend a couple of hours. There were not a lot artists but plenty enough to find a few items to take home. There were ceramics, jewelers, leather goods, paintings and sketches and a few other arts and crafts. I bought a numbered lithograph of a Madrid street scene with Plaza de Cibeles in it and it’s in my foyer for all to see!

Naviluz Christmas Bus
Tickets went on sale on November 16 at 9:00 am Madrid time. I immediately hopped online but had some credit card trouble. 12 hours later, I tried again and had no problem! Tickets seemed to be selling fast but we were able to get the day and time we wanted. I believe buses depart every 10 minutes. We sat on the upper deck and took a slow drive in traffic-filled Madrid. But it was a nice a way to get our bearings and see the gorgeous Christmas lights.

Historical Walking Tour: The Madrid of the Austrians
We took a fascinating walking tour of El Madrid de los Austrias. This old city center’s origin goes back to the sixteenth century when the Habsburg dynasty decided to transfer the imperial court to Madrid. Our guide was a fabulous storyteller about the line of Hapsburgs kings ending with Charles II. We loved wandering through the narrow streets, and seeing the old plazas, shops, palaces and churches.

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

MORE MADRID SIGHTS AND ACTIVITIES

Historical Walking Tour: The. Bourbons in Madrid
The Bourbons sat on the Spanish throne in the year 1700, and they are still ruling over the country today. With the Bourbon influence came a classicism style, and the restructuring of urban spaces. Starting at Puerta del Sol, we walked the opposite way of our first tour. We went through the streets of Alcalá and Caballero de Gracia, and saw some of the beautiful neoclassical architecture. Puerta de Alcalá is magnificent! We walked through Parque de El Retiro and learned about the funding and building of the many museums,libraries, promenades, fountains, academies and gardens were built.

A silly visual for Bourbon tour of Madrid. But it helped!

Both of these tours were fantastic. We really could have used another day to go back and trace our steps, wander these beautiful bustling streets and enjoy some of the wonderful discoveries.

The Prado Museum
We all love fine art museums and, by now, you know that we love guided tours. We bought tickets in advance to the 90-minute English tour. The tour only looks at a handful of key works, but the explanations of the paintings, and tips on what to look for and how to view them were outstanding. Highly recommend this trove of Spanish masterpieces.

Just a tip if you take the English-guided tour. It is necessary to first choose a date for a General entry (unguided visit) ticket then under complement your visit, purchase a second ticket for the English tour. Both tickets are timed tickets so be sure your general entry ticket is at least 30 minutes before your tour ticket. Granted it was New Year’s Eve, but the lines to get in for general entry were very long and we almost missed the guided tour. The English tours are currently offered twice daily: 11am and 1pm. The gift shop at the Prado is fabulous!

Parque de El Retiro
We could not have asked for a better today to enjoy this stunning Unesco-listed public park. Blue skies, sunshine and people strolling about soaking it all in. This expansive, 19th-century park has cafes, manicured hedges, a boating lake & rose garden, numerous fountains and statues, an impressive monument to Alfonso XII. and lots of paths to follow. It was a wonderful nature reprieve from the city.

CLOSING
We absolutely adored this elegant grand city. As we packed up to depart for the U.S. after a month in Spain, we reflected on the great December weather, world-renowned museums, stunning architecture, palaces and cathedrals, beautiful parks and the incredible food scene that we were so lucky to enjoy. Deepening our understanding of the history and culture from travel helps us to better appreciate those who came before us and shaped our world. ADIOS ESPANA.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by lrice
we chose a lovely three-bedroom apartment on Plaza Santa Ana in Barrio de las Letras. It was a perfect location for our first trip to explore Madrid
For those who are interested in the Plaza Santa Ana area, here is a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...530037674&z=17
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 01:20 PM

Zebec, they still do those posters with your name printed along with 2 other famous matadors. I used to buy them regularly for my students who asked me for them.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 01:40 PM

Lrice,
We’re now in glorious Sevilla enjoying the prelude to Holy Week and will post a photo or two of Taberna La Plazuela on my Instagram for you. Really love your latest photos, especially of the Christmas lights via the Naviluz! Thanks so much for your lovely TR!