Trip report: London, Rome and Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, <BR>We’re just back from an incredible 2wk vacation in London, Rome and Tuscany.<BR>London:<BR>WE were incredibly lucky to have 3 straight sunny and warm days in London (our 1st time there too!). So we did London 101 (Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London). Our 11 year old really enjoyed it too, esp. Tower of London and Big Ben. We took the Tube everywhere (very inexpensive, and you could ask for the family all day pass. Make sure that you understand the zoning system: once we had to pay more b/c our tickets did not cover zones 3 and beyond)<BR>From London we took Ryan Air to Rome (From London-Stansed to Ciampino airport). The airfare was unbelievable too: 35pounds round trip. <BR>To get from Ciampino to Termini station in Rome we took the bus service that Ryan Air provides. Each ticket was Eu12 (round trip that also includes pretty useless guide book). From Termini we took a taxi to Hotel Navona (Eu14, which is a rip-off, should have been Eu7, as we found out later). The only advantage of staying in Hotel Navona is its location near Italian Parliament and Piazza Navona. Otherwise, there are better choices, if you’re willing to walk extra 5 min. We paid Eu150 for bare bone triple room with gigantic street light right next to our window. This fare includes breakfast, but we did not even eat there every day since the much touted breakfast included awful coffee, 1 roll of tasteless bread, 1packet of butter and 1jam. The whole atmosphere strongly reminds of the concentration camp. We spent most of our time outside, sightseeing, exploring and eating gelato anyway, so the hotel did not bother us as much. <BR>On the next day after our arrival we had guided tour in Ancient Rome, which I highly recommend to anyone. The tour company is called “Enjoy Rome” and they charge Eu13 for anyone under 26 and Eu19for those over 26. This charge does not include visit inside the Coliseum so plan on coming back later if you would like to see the Coliseum. Our guide was very knowledgeable and took us not only to the ruin area, but also to Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona as well. The whole tour takes three hours and is excellent.<BR>More later.. <BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Out of curiosity, how were you treated in Rome. We'll be there later this week. M.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

In_wyoming,<BR>All the people we met were extremely courteous and helpful. No one was trying to have a war-related conversation either.<BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:28 AM

What would be your hotel recommendations?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Katie, thanks for the details on Hotel Navona. I've always given it a pass, and a friend of mine had a particularly horrible time when they &quot;lost&quot; her reservation and denied her a room.<BR>I've stayed in many spots from the Y (I got a cool tiny private room for $17!!) to Albergo Abruzzi (a favorite because you open your windows to the Pantheon!), and the Hotel del Teatro di Pompeo, a swell place but much more up there in price. Had a hilarious room in Albergo Sole-but overpriced but at least no breakfast issue!<BR>I recommend to everyone Fodor's UpClose Guide to Italy for good inexpensive rec.s on hotels, and also the super book from Margo Classe-Hello, Italy! A Guide to Inexpensive Hotels. The new Euro version is just out, and I've been happy with all her recommendations.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

REg hotel recommendations:<BR>Our friends who were visiting Rome at the same time stayed in hotel Antica Roma on Via Tritone, very close to Corso (shopping), Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Curious about their accomodations we visited their room and immediately booked the the room in Antica Roma (we needed to stay somewhere on our way back b/c of early flight out of Rome). We loved this place: it is clean, has very helpful staff, great location and great breakfast! <BR>Continuing the trip report:<BR>We also took &quot;Enjoy Rome&quot; tour to Vatican and once again had a great time and a very good guide. Highly recommended! The ticket fee to Vatican and the museums is not included. <BR>For dinner we went to a great place, called &quot;Osteria (di?) Mario&quot; (Rick Steve's recommendation). Not very fancy, but I could not get the feeling that I was dining in my own kitchen: so homey and the food is delicious. The check was Eu80 for 5 people including wine and the owner and &quot;nonna&quot; who cooks are absolutely fantastic! The slightly cheesy accordeon player who comes in and plays intalian songs (&quot;It's Amore!&quot just adds to the ambiance. I can provide the whereabouts of this place, if necessary.<BR>on our 3rd day we went to Borghese musesums to see Bernini statues and Carravagios- great experience. <BR>After the tour we picked our our Hertz rental at Termini (driving in Rome is very confusing, b/c traffic around Termini in one way only) and it took us some time to figure out how to get to GRA (which is the ring road that leads to A1 highway tow. Florence)<BR>More later....