Reload this Page >

Trip Report - 2 Weeks near Cork & Galway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Connie

Just thought I would post a quick trip report since this board was very useful and fun for planning. Spent two weeks mainly in the south from June 30 to July 13.<BR><BR>In short, it was our first trip to Ireland and we absolutely loved it. We did a house exchange in a small village 1/2 hour east of Cork with our two young children (3 and 5 years) but also stayed two nights at a castle near Galway.<BR><BR>Travelled Air Canada from Toronto to Dublin then Lingus into Cork. <BR><BR>Visited Blarney Castle and the Woolen Mill. Pretty setting, high turret stairs made it tough to lug kids up and down but worth it. Not many tourists and pretty laid back.<BR><BR>Visited Mitchelstown Caves and Cahir castle in the rain. More stairs at the cave but a really interesting guide and great for even our small kids (guide showed all kinds of faces and figures in the rocks). It was raining for Cahir so we didn't get as much out of it as otherwise - interesting tour and the model in the exposition hall is great.<BR><BR>Next to Cobh on a beautiful sunny day. A lovely port town with a St. Nicholas cathedral worth a visit high on the hill. Not too touristy either. Also visited an out of the way "open farm" called Leahy's near Midletown (very simple but fun).<BR><BR>Next it was Cork in the rain (again). A great bustling town and we especially enjoyed the indoor English Market (much like Granville Island in Vancouver). We found Cork was much more interesting than others seemed to think (sorry for the grammar, blame it on jet lag). Don't bother with the Shandon Crafts Centre - not much happening.<BR><BR>Next on to Kilkenny Castle - had a brilliant tour and a great town to visit. Well worth the drive. <BR><BR>Then a visit to Youghal. A nice seaside town, not many tourists. It was only a 1/2 hour drive or less for us so handy. <BR><BR>Long drive up to Cregg Castle near Galway. Visited Bunratty Castle along the way and loved it (so that's where all the tourists were!). Great shops in the castle village and surrounding huts were fascinating for all. Two nights at Cregg Castle - very informal (a little rough around the edges) but relaxing and peaceful with our hosts playing Irish music in the evening. Girls loved the 6 dogs, castle cat and donkey. Galway a great town with pedestrian streets, good food and shopping.<BR><BR>Returning south with a long drive through The Burren and Cliffs of Moher. The Burren was FASCINATING and the cliffs beautiful but crawling with people. A great craft shop and cafe just off the road before Doolin.<BR><BR>Day for the girls swimming at Trabolgan (great pool). Ate at Raymond's in Midleton - super food.<BR><BR>Visited Kinsale, loved the beautiful shops, setting and amazing restaurants (the Fishy Fish at the Gourmet Store was awesome for lunch). Drove an hour more and visited standing stone circle near Glanmore - wonderful if you like that kind of thing (and I do).<BR><BR>Easy morning visiting Fota Wildlife Park near Cobh. A wonderful place that felt much more like a park than a zoo. <BR><BR>That's about it. Feel free to ask questions about restaurants, towns etc. but I don't know much about B&Bs etc. Thanks to all who helped in our planning as well.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:39 AM

tp

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
bill

Connie:<BR><BR>Thanks for the report. We had been talking about staying at Cregg Castle next year. I've heard others mention it and I liked the idea of the hosts being musicians. My wife and I are both professional musicians and on the side, I'm a bad tin whistle player (I usually play jazz). I fugured that maybe we could sit in with them. Do they seem to be acceptiing of such things? My wife is a fantastic guitarist, so her talents aren't in question.<BR><BR>What do you mean by "rough around the edges"?<BR><BR>Yes, the Cliffs are crawling with tourists unless you get there very early, or very late in the day. When there are few people there, it is a wonderful and peaceful place to be. Strange how that is.<BR><BR>Thanks again for the report.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Connie

Bill,<BR><BR>I certainly think that the hosts would be amenable to you joining in for a jam session. That didn't happen while we were there but it is very informal and I think it would liven up the evening even more.<BR><BR>As far as the castle itself, the dining room is lovely and the great room quite lovely and cozy. Our room was spacious and quite clean (I wouldn't eat off the floors or anything but I'm pretty fussy). I guess many things were pretty well used (a bit worn) and they have not poured money into fancy decor etc. It is very comfortable and relaxed and mainly by North Americans. We spoke to one gentleman from Pennsylvania who had stayed at the castle several times because it is so relaxing.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Connie

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Marisa

Connie:<BR><BR>Just wondering how your flight on Air Canada was. We're doing the same route tomorrow, Toronto to Dublin. How was it?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Connie

The flight was just fine. It was very warm on the plane and even t-shirts and light pants were almost too warm to wear. The service was good and the food particularly good on the return flight from Dublin. Our plane was a little more cramped than I would have liked but not dreadful. <BR><BR>Hope you have a great trip. <BR><BR>Connie

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:27 AM
bill

Thanks Connie. Sounds like it will be a great place to stay.<BR><BR>Bill