trip planning to provence

Oct 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

trip planning to provence

I have done considerable reading on this site and seem to be more undecided as time goes by. Provence has been on my "list" for sometime. There is a lot I want to do there. However, now I am considering adding Beynac and Carcassone. Is this feasible with 10-14 days? I am afraid my sweetheart will not be gone longer than this. Also, he thinks that once you have been somewhere, it is time to go elsewhere. That is why I feel so much pressure to do everything. The purpose of Beynac is the castle, possible canoe trip and prehistoric caves. Friends recommended a short stop in Carcassonne. Please help!
Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM

Just back from there - you'd be pressed to spend the whole day in Beynac - the castle itself is spectacular, but would only take an hour or two, caves probably a few more (didn't do that one). Didn't do the canoe trip, which might take a while, depending on how energetic you were feeling, an alternative would be the boat cruises available from there (or up the river at La Roque Gageac)....on the other hand there is LOTs in that area in general, a few days worth at least.
Didn't make it to Carcassone this trip...
Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Biker,
I have read some of your other posts. I know I must choose what to do and will have to omit some things. Thanks for the info on Beynac.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM

No problem.
We had 5 days in Provence and 6 in the Perigord in general - we managed to see everything we wanted (most towns in both areas are relatively small and relatively close together).
We felt that we spent enough time in Provence to really get a feel for it with 5 days (although we could have happily spent longer), and wished we could've moved to the Perigord after 6 (seriously - we were looking at immobliers in Sarlat for days trying to figure out if we could afford it).
If I had one to re-visit, I'd pick the Perigord without a second thought - I liked the roman ruins and the olive groves, but I think I read too much Peter Mayle and thus had too many pre-conceptions. I didn't really know what to expect in the Perigord and absolutely fell in love with it (and the foie gras).
Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM

mimipam,

Can't help you with Beynac, but Carcassonne is doable in 10 and esp. 14 days. I would recommend arriving there late afternoon, staying overnight, not necessarily within the walls but close, and leaving after breakfast. I would also include Montpellier on the way and plan at least 1/2 day there.

Happy travels,

-e
Oct 25th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Biker and enroute. Biker, I'm looking forward to your report. I, too, may have let Peter Mayle influence me too much. Now, I will rethink some of my "want tos." Enroute, thanks so much for your input. I had just about given up on Carcassone but now it is back on the list.
Oct 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Go to www.onelittleworld.com for a wealth of info and pics.
Oct 25th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob,
This is a great site.
Oct 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Prego !
That is my son and family. They plan great trips.
Oct 25th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Have you considered the Tarn area? Les Corbieres is less touristy. Cordes-Sur-Ciel is a beautiful village there.
Keep up the mention of the Perigord to lessen traffic in Provence