Reload this Page >

trip insurance - any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I have never used trip insurance (which includes health/rescue type insurance either) but this September I am going to be a "tour guide" for my parents in Italy and my Mom had questions about it. <BR> <BR>Do all of you use it? Do you think it is a waste of money? We are "winging" this trip (as I usually do) and I think the only thing they would need trip insurance against are the plane tickets if they cannot go due to sickness, etc. (is there even such a thing as that? or is it only when you buy packaged tours?) I would think with plane tickets you would eat it if you cannot go... <BR> <BR>I don't plan to make extensive accommodation plans, I usually call as I go but for Italy this year I might make a few reservations - but a lot of times you can cancel within an appropriate time anyway (or, I would go alone if need be). <BR> <BR>I can't imagine what else they would need insurance FOR. (they typically go on fully booked cruises and the like - which is completely different from my sort of travel.) <BR> <BR>re: health insurance - do you ever buy insurance over and above your own policy you have here in the States (from work, or whatever)? <BR> <BR>any advice would be great, thanks. <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Caitlin

If Medicare is your parents' source of health insurance, you should be aware that it does not cover *anything* outside of the US. In that case, you probably want travel health insurance for them. If your own health insurance covers out-of-country emergencies, It's probably not worth it. a good thing to know is that some companies will waive preexisting condition exclusions if you pay the premium in full within a week of applying. <BR> <BR>I've never used trip cancellation insurance, but I can see how it could be useful if there were a possibility of, say, medical problems arising before the trip. Many cos. offer health/trip cancellation combinations. In any case, make sure you read and understand the fine print on any insurance contract before you buy, as they all have strict, and different, policies about the circumstances under which they'll pay, what constituutes a preexisting condition, etc.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Richard

Beth, In the last few years we have purchased a medical expense/evacuation insurance for our trips overseas, it covers expenses that will be reimbursed by our home insurance company. It's pretty cheap, $100K with $1K deductible is $11/wk. It also covers your expense to a "suitable or home location" for injury or sickness, or if you croak, they'll arrange for your bod to get home. We did this because we tour in Europe on our bikes and we're 53 and 62.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Paulo

I wouldn't travel without a medical expense/evacuation insurance. I don't know what may be covered by an "average" credit card in he US. Here in Brazil, if you pay your airfare with a credit card, you normally get a pretty good all purpose insurance (lost luggage, medical/hospital expenses, evacuation, legal advice, life, etc, with small deductibles). If we feel that the amount insured for a particular damage type is low, we insure the excess coverage like Richard does. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Kathleen

Check out www.worldtravelcenter.com for travel/health insurance. They have lots of different packages. Health insurance is essential nowadays. I had this policy on my trip this spring, and didn't need it. But it's nice to have peace of mind.