Trip Costs for family of 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back 2 days ago from a month long trip in Europe. I thought I would post some of the costs which others might find helpful.

Our family - 2 adults, two kids 5 & 3
Destinations: Paris, Brugge, Koln, Mosel Valley, Rhine Valley, Frankfurt, Central & Southern Austria, Slovenia, N. Italy, Venice, Provence
Days: 30
Total Cost excluding airfare: $5700
Mode of transport: Driving using Renault lease ($1269 total)

We accomplished this total which is under $200 a day by camping half the time. Camping exceeded our expectations and we actually preferred it to several of the hotels we were at. When we did stay at hotels they were 2 and 3 star. We did not skimp on sightseeing. We would picnic frequently but also ate in resturants about once per day. We did save money by staying with friends for 3 days. Included in the total is about $250 of gifts we brought back.

My main reason for posting this is for encouragement for those who feel that Europe is just too far out of their price range.

I doubt that my family could take a vacation in Florida (including Disney) for 4 weeks and do it all for under $6000.

I know that many on this board especially, prefer to travel higher class if you will, but I post this for other young families who have a desire for adventure but not a lot of money to burn.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to answer. I also want to thank this board for all the help it was in planning my trip.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM

Wow! That's a great price for the duration of your stay. Congratulations!Did you meet many people camping? One benefit is that it might have helped you to connect to local folks and their language.

Cheers!
letour
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM

Good for you !
Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:04 AM

This is a very thoughtful and helpful post.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Letour,

To answer your question. Yes we did meet people. You have to be outgoing a bit and make the first effort but once you do that people warm up quickly. We don't speak anything but English so in some case it was just trading smiles. In Brugge, we met one English family that we talked to for a long while. We also met some Germans in Provence that invited us to breakfast with them. The bottom line seems to be that you have to usually make the first effort to connect with fellow campers.