Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trieste to Venice - is there a Ferry or do I need to catch a train?

Nov 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I'm still planning next year's holiday in Northern Italy. We have about 8 days in Trieste and are planning a few days trips. Naturally Venice is at the top of the list as we loved it last year when we stayed there and are very keen to return, if only briefly.

I know there are trains from Trieste to Venice, but I wondered if there is a ferry as an alternative. Also, if there is a ferry, is that a quicker trip than the train and does it run very often?

Thanks in advance, Cathie
Nov 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM

I don't know about ferries but the train would take far too long for a daytrip.

Expeditions from Trieste:

Udine for a bit of Palladio
the star-shaped fortified town Palmanova
Aquileia with wonderful mosiacs
Grado

And don't omit seeing the dramatic tomb of Schinkel in the archeological museum in Trieste, and the coffeeshops, of course.
Nov 19th, 2009, 01:21 AM

There are no ferries from Trieste to Venezia. If there were, it would take a lot longer than the train. There are trains every hour with a journey time of just over two hours, so you can have a whole day in Venezia.
There are hydrofoils in summer to Pororoz, Porec and Rovinj. www.triestelines.it
There are boats to Muggia and in summer to Grignano, Sistiana and Grado.
www.triestetrasporti.it (click on "servizi marittimi")
http://www.aptgorizia.it/cms/data/pa...marittima.aspx
Nov 19th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi tarquin, I realise the train trip is about 2 hours - that's ok. Not too far for us.

Thanks to both of you about the other day trips we can do. We had planned on a day trip into northern Croatia, but the other things look interesting too. My husband teaches ancient history so I'm sure we will visit the archeological museum - it's lovely having my own personal guide.
Nov 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM

bookmarking.

We just saw a travel show called Travelscope on PBS and they highlighted Trieste and the Fruili-Venezia Giulia region. It was very interesting and we definitely added it to our list. We also liked the fact that the area doesn't seem to be overrun with tourism.

Please post a trip report when you return.
Nov 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM

Sights in Trieste :
Miramare Castle and especially a walk in the garden – walk to the Sphinx near the beach;
Piazza Unità d’Italia, the biggest open place facing the sea in Europe with nearby the Opera Teatro Verdi and Corso Italia, a shopping street;
Castle San Giusto, church, lapidarian with epitaph for Mr Winkelmann, “father” of Archaeology;

Drinks & Food
Cafè Illy for the best coffee in town, straight behind the church San Antonio near Piazza San Giovanni; for a drink before dinner top barman;
Malabar, Piazza San Giovanni: best choice for a local wine tasting; talk to Walter, the owner!
Pirona, Largo Barriera 12: superb little antique coffee shop; for a coffee + dessert
Rex, on the corner Piazza Borsa – Corso Italia: hippest place for a downtown aperitif together with Circus, Via San Lazzaro 9

For further comments see http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...este-BR-1.html

Chic & expensive: Ristorante Le Vele (for a drink and/or dinner): Viale Miramare, on the corner of crossing to the castle Miramare within a hotel complex

Chic, near to my flat and the best pizza and chicken in town: La Casablanca Riva T. Gulli, 4, Trieste 040 301065 (booking!)

Near the water & nice seafood or just for a drink: Tavernetta al Molo, Port of Grignano (on the coastal road after Miramare tunnel turn down towards the beach);

Same direction, yet turn right when you arrive at the parking; there’s a pedestrian passage passing a sort of tunnel, take the first entrance: Tiki, beach bar; best location for a drink + sunset.

For seafood in a nice, yet modern ambiente: Antica Ghiacceretta, Via dei Fornelli 2 (not far from my appartment); talk to the owner, Bruno

Classic Austrian food and a must place to see once: Buffet da Pepi, near Piazza Borsa in Via Cassa di Risparmio 3: pig, craut, sausages.. let them mix you a plate to taste with a draft beer.

Visit the beaches along the coastal road, turning towards Miramare castle.
I like most the Ginestre, beach with parking halfway to Sistana on the coastal road.

Talk to someone to bring you in a nice Osmiza, place where you can taste local wine terrano (an acid red wine), ham and cheese: Ask or simply go and look for a pine bush branch in Sgonico (north from Trieste), Monrupino (northeast from Trieste).
The hinterland of Trieste is very very nice, yet you might get lost! Take a good map and your identity card in case you must cross the border to Slovenia.

Try to go to Lipica in Slovenia; just a few km from the border to Trieste/Italy – border station is Sezana.
http://www.lipica.org/?vie=cnt&str=12_eng
There are the renown Lipizzaner horses, a beautiful golf course! Let Fabio bring you there!!! Talk to the pro Andrej and send him my best regards!

Also with someone try to fix a visit at KANTE, the most famous wine maker in Trieste. Kante is in Località Prepotto 1/A, Duino Aurisina, Phone +39 040 200255 or mobile +39 348 4446808. Talk to Edi Kante, the owner and winemaker, bring him my regards (from Ingrid, the Austrian with the sweet wine).

If you are riding towards Gorizia, north of Trieste in direction Udine (beautiful landscape) try to have lunch at Trattoria Devetak, San Michele del Carso, 48 in Savogna d’Isonzo (closed on Monday and Tuesday).
This place is not far from Gradisca, another tiny little town in Friuli region.

enjoy!
Nov 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Wow Triest12 thanks for so much info. We will be staying with an Australian friend who lives here in Sydney for most of the year but goes to his family home in Trieste each summer. I'm sure he will know some of these places too and will be happy to explore the others you have suggested. Thanks again, Cathie
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Great to have someone who already knows the place! Have fun!
Ingrid - PS: I recently discovered that Tiki beach doesn't exist any more. They are rebuilding "La voce della luna" near Barcola (this beachbar burned down some months ago). In 2010 it should reopen!