trieste hotels

Oct 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

trieste hotels

I am trying to book a hotel or b&b for next Sept. in Trieste or near Triest. we will have a car so parking is important.
Almost every place I have contacted seems to be booked. I'm beginning to wonder if trying to book for mid Sept. 2011 is too far in advance. Any suggestions.
If not Trieste, somewhere close by. We will need to get to the Venice aiport the day we check out.

dtaylorburke
Oct 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM

How have you tried to book hotels? A quick search on Kayak and Expedia for various Sept. dates shows a lot of possibilities. I highly doubt that hotels are fully booked so far in advance, it may be a case of being too early for some systems to accept, as you suggest.

My favorite hotel in Trieste is the Albero Nascosto (http://www.alberonascosto.it/hotel-trieste/index.htm) which I believe you would have to contact directly. They have parking, although it's not immediately on the property, so it's not always very convenient if you're going to and from the car often. The Hotel Greif Maria Theresia is right on the coastal road toward Venice, and probably has better parking arrangements. Hotels in the Carso above Trieste will have parking and be closer to the autostrada - but it depends on what you will be wanting to do in Trieste.
Oct 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I finally emailed several hotels and got responses, so I guess mid Sept. is too early for their reservation systems.
Unfortunately, Alberon Ascosto is booked for the days we will be there.

dtaylorburke
Oct 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM

First of all, I think Sept 2011 is way too far in advance to be looking for hotels in Trieste.

I recently stayed stayed in Opicina right above Trieste because I had a car and didn't want to hassle with driving and parking in Trieste. I took the 30-minute tram ride into Trieste, and it was rather fun, and I took taxis home, which were less than 20 euros.

I wanted to stay at Hotel Valeria in Opicina because it has a very well recommended restaurant. But it was closed for holiday. (It only has six rooms.) Instead, I stayed at Hotel Daneu which was basic and easy to find off the autostrade, and had plenty of parking. Its restaurant was so-so.

In the end, I was sorry I didn't stay right in Trieste because the city is simply so enjoyable, especially as a caffe and bar, strollers city. I think if you work with a hotel or B&B owner, they can help you find affordable parking. Keep trying your first picks, and if you haven't taken a look at Residence San Marco, try that as well.

Good luck! Trieste is a wonderful place!

(PS: What time is your flight out of Aeroporto Marco Polo? There can be a lot of traffic between Trieste and that area, depending on the day you are traveling. Be sure to leave a buffer.)
Oct 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Zeppole,

Thanks for the info. We will keep looking.
Thanks, also for the tip on traffic to Marco Polo. We plan on taking a mid afternoon flight to Brussels and staying overnight in Brussels and leave from there for the States.
We have had terrible luck making our connections out of Marco Polo to the States. Almost missed our flight earlier this year because of delays (even though we had a three hour layover from Venice to Brussels. We got to the plane just as they were closing the door, 7 other passengers from our Venice flight didn't make it.
Oct 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Now that you've elaborated, your plan to leave Trieste in the morning for a mid-afternoon flight sounds reasonable, and no doubt your past experiences will encourage you not to cut it too close.
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM

I like Hotel Duchi D'Aosta and Hotel Savoia Excelsior Palace (just finished a complete renovation and restoration - gorgeous!). Both are on the water in or near Piazza Unita. Parking in trieste though is like all parking in Italy - be crafty, and drive a small car b/c it's a small city. But for these hotels you have a parking lot RIGHT across the street - the huge parking lot that runs along the water right across from Piazza Unita and Canal Grande. I am currently writing an article about Trieste so if you're interested you can read more info about Trieste here - http://beachesandpeaches.wordpress.com/ - I lived in Trieste for a year and have visited twice since then, for 2 weeks at a time both times. I absolutely love this city. September is a great time to visit!! It's also great to have a car for side trips to Croatia, Llubjana, Slovenia, Venice, and Udine!
Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM

There is also a Sofitel which is equally convenient and probably less expensive. It is also right on the water and next to Piazza Unita, and right across from the big parkign lot. I would check that out as well. it is popular with people who are coming to Trieste for conferences.
Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM

The Sofitel rooms that face the water all have balconies, too, which is a great perk!! that's what so special about Trieste too: that its' right on the water. Since you're going in September you should still be able to swim at Barcola, so you definitely want to stay at a hotel near the water. Savoia rooms have balconies also.