Trier, Germany - Worth to visit?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Arron

Trier, Germany - Worth to visit?

Please help. <BR> <BR>Should I visit Trier in Germany if I had already been to Rome and Pompeii? According to what I understand, Trier is famous for its Roman ruins and artifact... <BR> <BR>Thank you very much <BR> <BR>Arron

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Dick

I've been to all three, though it was nearly 20 years ago for Trier - just a year ago for the other two. The ruins are not nearly as extensive as Rome and Pompeii, of course, but I think worth visiting for their accessibility - I remember prowling around in the tunnels under the baths and similarly crawling through the rooms underneath the amphitheater. I don't know if that's still allowed, but it was an enjoyable way for an archaeology nut to spend the afternoon. It was March and I pretty much had both places entirely to myself.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Julie

Most of the places I've visited in Europe get me longing to return and spend more time. I have to say I just didn't feel that way about Trier. The Porta Negra, which is its primary claim to fame, is interesting, but not worth driving out of the way for.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Lee

Arron, I have to agree with Dick and Julie, if you are going to Trier for Roman ruins, then that really isn't your best bet. <BR> <BR>Trier is a nice stop-off if you are driving the Mosel River and just want to see a different city that is quite old. It's over 2,000 years old. I like Trier, but it isn't Pompeii, I like it just for itself.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Myriam

Trier is OK for a visit of a few hours but besides the Porta Nigra and the cathedral there is not very much to see.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Russ

The Dom, the Liebfrauenkirche next door (both very impressive) and the Basilika are Trier's major sights. The Roman museum there is quite large and has a huge number of pieces that you may enjoy a peek at if you're really into Roman history. The baths and the theatre are fairly pedestrian compared with sites in other parts of Europe. I think it's the novelty of the ruins this far north that holds the interest of visitors. If you're expecting the Colloseum, forget it. The real draw in the area is the Mosel River and the wine towns along the way between maybe Bernkastel and Cochem.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Arron

Thank you very much to all of you. I really appreciate your help. <BR> <BR>I guess I will skip Trier in this case. Like what Russ said, maybe I should just focus on the boat trip on Mosel and Cochem. I guess I will visit the castle Burg Eltz as well... Does that sounds OK? <BR> <BR>Thanx <BR> <BR>AC

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Joe

Definitely visit Burg Eltz. Although the castle above Cochem isn't as authentic, the tour I took was very interesting and informative.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:13 AM
utpal

I would rather recommend Rhine Valley. I stayed in Bacharach in the Rhine Valley. It is a very nicely preserved medieval town and not very touristy. Of course a trip to Berg Eltz would be very nice too.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Joe

Aaron: While I wouldn't make a special trip to go to Trier, if you are going to be in the area, it is certainly worth a visit. The Port Nigra (Roman Gate), the baths (huge and intrigueing to ponder the original splender) and the amphiteater are certainly interesting. Trier Catheral is the oldest church in Germany and was built by St. Helena, Mother of Constantine. There is a portion of a Roman Painted Ceiling which survives. The Leibfrau Church dates to 1235. The Basilica, the largest intact Roman building outside of Rome is huge and was built by Constantine. The Market Place is worth a wander.<BR><BR>You can take boat trips along the Mosel from a number of locations along the river. If you are driving anyway, I would continue along the Mosel by car, stopping where you find places of interest. The Mosel is charming, peaceful, romantic and less touristy than the Rhine; plenty of castles and opportunities to sample the fine Reisling wines (from puckering dry to very sweet. I like trocken myself; dry, but not the driest. Must stop locations are Beilstein (the most charming of Mosel Villages), Cochem (picturesque, major castle and the most touristy) and Burg Eltz (DO NOT miss this most beautiful Castle. Great area.<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:58 AM
xxx

Arron<BR>We loved Trier. However, I cannot offer a comparasion to Rome and Pompei. We enjoyed the Mosel Valley much, much more than the Rhine. In fact, we were quite diappointed in the Rhine after having been in the Mosel area.