Search

Trenitalia-why book in advance?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trenitalia-why book in advance?

I was about to jump on board a thread that reassured travelers yet again that it is not necessary to book months or even weeks ahead on Trenitalia for travel within Italy. It was my experience living there over the course of a couple of years that it was not necessary to book more than one day ahead. In some ways, I would liken the European attitude to train travel as more like a New Yorkers' or Torontonians' attitude to subways or taxis. The whole point is that you don't have to plan ahead.

But that was three years ago now and judging by the passion for forward planning reflected here, maybe things have changed. So here is my question: has anyone ever NOT got on the train they wanted in Italy because they failed to book ahead by MORE than one day?
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM

maybe one exact train but there are often two trains an hour on main routes so i think it highly unlikely.

You book early to save money with online only specials - that's about the only reason i've seen. Otherwise the automatic ticket machines in stations are idiot proof in my experience - all in English and in a minute or so you have your tickets.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM

We booked one of our 4 train trips ahead of time because a strike is expected the evening of the day we want to travel....we'll book the others when we arrive.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM

I'm amazed that it bothers so many people that other people like to book certain trains ahead of time.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
LJ
Original Poster

I think that is bit unfair, TravMimi, my question is a genuine one...
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
ira

Hey LJ,

Isn't it smart to book ahead of time on weekends, holidays and for sleeper trains during the season?

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM

There are many threads on here about this. Many people suggest there is something about being an "idiot" if they prefer to book certain runs ahead. Through experience I know people have their reasons. Personally I would never book 60 days ahead because often many routes are not up until under 30 days ahead. It's also good to book ahead if you are traveling on a strike day, making a very fast connection, need a very specific train and seat, or don't want to be one of those people who leave things behind buying tickets in a rush at the station. Also, some could say trenitalia's website is "idiot proof"
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM

Also, some could say trenitalia's website is "idiot proof"

TravMimi - you give such excellent advice on Italian trains but you must be kidding about trenitalia.com being idiot proof - for it's the contrary as legions of posters here have declared - one reason for not buying a ticket online ahead of time is because the trenitalia.com site is so frustrating - many report spending hours trying to get a ticket and some are left holding the bag wondering for days it seems if their request really went thru.

For seasoned pros experienced using it it may seem idiot proof but so many Fodorites report otherwise - idiots or not.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM

Palen - lol sorry it was a bit sarcastic of me, but I wanted to see what it felt like using the words "idiotproof" when talking about something other's aren't as familiar with as I am. Believe me, I have read threads with all the people on here who can't manage the website, but it seems equal to the number of people on here who don't want to manage buying at the station.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
LJ
Original Poster

I think these (strikes, unfamiliarity with web-based ticketing systems and best of all, deals) are all good reasons to book in advance. But no problems experienced by travellers here?
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM

Mimi - OK

i say idiot-proof machines because i played around with lots of them in January and i found them a snap - therefore they are idiot-proof in my mind at least. Quite unlike the machines of a decade ago in FS stations that never worked from day one it seemed.

I've used ticket machines in several countries and these are the best and easiest i've seen and, unlike in say France and holland they actually accept American credit cards.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:21 PM

Palen - I agree the new ones are very easy to use. Maybe a lot of people are remembering the older machines of Italy. But, I have also witnessed many people in stations totally confused. They look up at boards, read machines, watch for pickpockets, try to keep their eyes on all their bags and kids. Many times have I said to ticket buyers, Sir you forgot your coat or Lady you forgot you kid. I always take into account that many things, as simple as they are, are new to many people. I also like running down the track and jumping on the train eticket in hand. Or having a seat during a strike!! YES
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM

Those are all valid concerns, well put. I agree totally.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM

travMimi, do you recommend booking ahead on trenitalia if we're going to try to travel on a strike day or can we buy 4 days ahead when we get to Italy. What are the chances of the train being sold out?

On another post it seemed that someone was saying that on strike days, they sell more tickets than there are seats for and you can get packed into a train with many people standing (might be you standing!) does anyone know if this is true?
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM

plafield - I would certainly buy reserved seat tickets on a know strike day well ahead of time (30 days). I would try my best to book them on a guaranteed run. They will sell more tickets than seats, but they won't sell the same seat more than once, so if you have a seat it's yours. There will be people standing for sure.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM

Hmm well we dont have 30 days. We're due to leave in less than 2 weeks and the travel date is May 18, a strike day.

Should I try to buy from trenitalia today?
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM

<They will sell more tickets than seats, but they won't sell the same seat more than once>

does this mean if i buy a ticket on say ES train i may not have a seat number reserved? what would the ticket say "standing room only"

mille grazze (? kind of a guess for a 1000 thanks.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM

On the strike day they would sell an emergency ES ticket at the station with no seat number on it. It isn't as bad on ES trains as it is on local or regional trains that have many daily commuters on them. Not as many locals were doing long distance travel anyway, and if there is a strike they generally just don't bother traveling.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM

Obviously waiting until just before your journey to buy tickets offers maximum flexibility, however if one knows exactly which train they are going to take, there is almost no downside to purchasing ahead. The only possible exception would be if one were to purchase a non-refundable ticket and then missed the train or changed their itinerary, however that is more of a tradeoff for a much lower fare. If a journey is cancelled due to strike or act of god, you can usually get a refund or exchange.

The advantages to buying ahead are many. The main upside is the potential for lower fares.

You also can spend your leisure time at home researching connections an purchasing tickets rather than expensive vacation time. Sure, it is usually quite easy, however there are sometimes snafus that you can avoid simply by having tickets in hand.

Most of the time there are plenty of seats on most trains, especially on popular routes, however there are many cases - expected (holidays) and unexpected (strikes) - when trains can full up quickly. If you have your ticket in hand, it is one less thing to worry about.

I like to purchase tickets for all overnight trains and most trains where there is only one or two direct or high speed connections per day to make sure I am on the train I want. On popular routes such as Florence - Rome or Milan - Venice, I don't bother to buy ahead.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:44 AM
LJ
Original Poster

IMHO, we now we have a nicely balanced civilized conversation, both pro and con, to which we can refer posters who ask this perennial question so it doesn't have to be re-hashed every time with blood pressure rising all round. All aboard!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -