Search

Trenitalia Train Ticket Payment

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
yim
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trenitalia Train Ticket Payment

When I purchase the rome to venice train tickets from Trenitalia on-line, I have problem making credit card payment at the end. I kept getting "payment denied" messages although I tried using different credit cards. I know the credit cards are good. Then I tried the pay later method and I was able to reserve the tickets. However, I am not able to find under the customer area at Trenitalia how to pay and confirm my reservation. Can anyone help?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
ira

Hi yim,

Have you told your CC companies that you will be buying tickets from Trenitalia?

Sometimes their computers refuse to accept the charge.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM

That is exactly what happened to me. AMEX put a fraud flag on my account and I had to call for them to authorize payment. I was able to complete the transaction after that.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:56 PM
yim
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I called the credit card company and they didn't block the charge. I tried again by creating new accounts under my son's name and use his credit card, it still denied my payment. I hope the system will tell me when went wrong in the process. By the way, if I called their call center, is there any prefix that I need to use.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:10 AM

I never did get any credit card to work on the Trenitalia site - I have no idea why. You really do not need to purchase tickets on the site at all - it is very easy just to purchase any tickets that you need as you go along.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi yim,

The trenitalia call center number is only for calls made from Italy.

The trenitalia computer is very quirky.

How many days in Rome before you take the train to Venice?

You can buy your tickets at the train station at FCO, or anywhere else.

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Just to add to that anywhere else: I find travel agency offices in Italian cities to be the easiest way to get train tickets.

If there is the Ferrovia al Stato logo on the door or window, they will sell you your tickets with no extra charges. Works very well, all the time. You can ask your hotel or apartment people where the nearest travel agency that sells train tickets is.

Also, if you are taking the Termini train from FCO, they will sell you your tickets when you buy the trip from the airport to Termini. I like to take a print out of the train schedule I want with me, just to make it a bit more clear than my terrible Italian would.

I have also found that if a train is sold out, it is usually in second class, and first will probably be available. But the sold out trains are usually for the same day...
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
yim
Original Poster

After trying several credit cards and still have payment denied, I got two calls from my credit card company telling me that trenitalia.com is a fraudulent website and they have to cancel my credit cards and re-issue. I can't believe this. Now I have to cancel all my other credit cards because they already got my information.
I guess I will have to buy my tickets at the train stations.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM

BTW, I might be wrong but they only accept european credit cards.