Trenitalia ticketless travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to buy tickets online from trenitalia. How do we use the ticketless tickets? Can we just board the train or do we still have to stop by the ticket window?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:09 PM
yk

nibblette-

You'll get your answer in this thread "Trenitalia Tickets Online" by Ira. I think you have to pick the ticket up at the window.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34465647
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:58 AM
ira

t
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I am having a hard time registaring. Followed all the advice (Italian site, changing cookies status) but still getting an error message when I try to send my info in.
Since we have to stop by the window anyway with ticketless, is it better just to wait until we're in Italy to buy the tickets? Planning on taking Eurostar trains and don't know if they have a tendency to sell out. Also will be traveling on the weekends. Are the trains more crowded then?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Most would say you can wait to buy tickets in Italy. If you traveling on a Friday, maybe buy your tickets a day or two ahead. Use the machines at the train station--English translations--or buy them from a travel agent; much easier than standing on ticket window lines.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:01 PM
ira

Hi nib,

Welcome to Italy. Nothing is so important that it has to be done right now.

Assumint that you will be flyig into Rome,you can buy your tickets at the train station at FCO when you get our ticket for the train to Rome TE, or you can get them at Roem TE, or you can get them from a travel agent.

OTOH, if you keep at it. You might be able to book your tickets on line.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Gave up on the site. I'll get the tickets when we arrive into Rome.
To Ira:
Any advice on regional vs. Eurostar trains? Two trains fit my schedule. The regional leaves earlier (so less waiting around the train station) and is supposed to arrive just over an hour before I'm supposed to meet the others. The Eurostar leaves an hour later and arrives 15 minutes before the meeting time. Based on my limited experience, I seem to recall the few regionals I used usually ran late.
If I wait for the Eurostar, is there a nice waiting area in the Rome train station (cafe, seating areas, etc)?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:38 AM
LJ

Regionals versus Eurostar: IMHO, regionals can be just as good except that they do not offer the Eurostar waitng room.Regional Trenitalia offer 1st class on some trains, the difference for a four/five hour train ride (Pescara to Venice via Bologna)today for friends was 44 Euro per person 2cd class and 63 Euro first class.

However, watch out (as you already have) for arrival times. Someone else may be of assistnce with that Rome waiting room for Eurostar. For my money, people watching from a balcony seat in the Autogrill cafeteria with a great risotto and a mini-bottle of vino is much more fun!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:27 AM
ira

Hi nib,

LJ has it pretty much right.

ES* trains are almost always on time. I think they guarantee your money back if it is an hour late.

When we took the IC from Naples to Rome it was scheduled for the same times as the ES*, which left on time and arrived on time. We arrived in Rome 2 hr late.