Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trenitalia summer train schedule release date?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when the Trenitalia summer train schedule will be released? I just checked again for August 20 and it appears not all trains are listed.

Thank you for any insight. I'd like to get some good fares by booking as soon as they become available.
Old May 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM

also try www.italotreno.it/en - competitor to Trenitalia - trains using same tracks and same stations.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
also try www.italotreno.it/en - competitor to Trenitalia - trains using same tracks and same stations.
Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten about them. Unfortunately, they don't have service into Como. BTW, they're not showing a full summer schedule yet either.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:13 PM

What trip involving Como is it - if just from Milan you can take regional trains at a flat fare and no seat reservations possible (true of all regional trains in Italy I believe) -Treno Nord goes from Milan right to Como's boat dock and v.v. - just a few euros to Milan. Como has a mainline trenitalia station too, about a mile from the docks.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
What trip involving Como is it - if just from Milan you can take regional trains at a flat fare and no seat reservations possible (true of all regional trains in Italy I believe) -Treno Nord goes from Milan right to Como's boat dock and v.v. - just a few euros to Milan. Como has a mainline trenitalia station too, about a mile from the docks.
Thanks again. But, we're coming from Venezia. I want to purchase tickets online that will take us all the way to Como rather than having to buy a regional ticket when we arrive in Milan. We need the Como San Giovanni station in order to catch the #10 bus to Tremezzino (the bus takes less time than the ferry).
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:00 PM

There are a few trains I believe that go direct Venice-Como S Giovanni - best station for your destination.
Old May 8th, 2019, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was able to search this route for Aug. 20, 2019. There is only one train a day that runs from Venezia S. Lucia to Como S. Giovanni without a connection. It departs at 3:20p and arrives at 6:48p. I hope this link works:

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/searc...D=9FAvwssU3f4i

The first C10 bus heading north that you could probably catch, assuming the train is on time, departs at 7:24p.

https://www.asfautolinee.it/wr-resou...bck=wrReq93922

Actually, the bus is not faster than the "rapido" boat from Como to Tremezzo, but it would take a few minutes to reach the ferry dock. IMO, arriving by boat feels more like a "Lake Como" experience. You might want to wait until the summer ferry timetables are released before you decide.

https://www.asfautolinee.it/wr-resou...bck=wrReq93922
Old May 8th, 2019, 06:09 PM

OK, the Trenitalia link didn't show the search results, but you can type in the stations and date and find the options for that day.
Old May 8th, 2019, 06:53 PM

Trenitalia and Italotreno released the summer schedules of high speed trains months ago.

The schedules of those Regional trains that CAN'T SELL OUT BECAUSE THERE ARE NO RESERVED SEATS

will be released on June 8.

Even if Trenitalia will release some routes before the deadline there is no reason to anxiously check any given day:

REGIONALE TRAINS HAVE NO RESERVED SEATS AND CAN'T SELL OUT.

Originally Posted by Dee_Dee
Thanks again. But, we're coming from Venezia. I want to purchase tickets online that will take us all the way to Como rather than having to buy a regional ticket when we arrive in Milan. We need the Como San Giovanni station in order to catch the #10 bus to Tremezzino (the bus takes less time than the ferry).
You don't need to. There are many different options.

The most obvious would be to get now the Venice-Milan ticket (comparing prices of both companies) and then buy the tickets from Milan to Como on June 10. You'll need a transfer time of 15 minutes, or more.
You could get a through ticket from Venice to Como on June 9 on www.trenitalia.com/en.html
Or in Venice if you hotel has free-wifi. Or in any other Trenitalia station. Or in Tobacconists shops all over italy that display the Sisal logo.
Last, since There is free wi-fi on high speed trains, you could buy the last leg ticket while going to Milan instead of buying in Milan.

Last edited by Falcio; May 8th, 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 07:24 PM

In addition the regional/local trains don't go up in price. You only need to worry about the high speed trains.
Old May 9th, 2019, 01:29 AM

The summer ASF bus timetable is not yet published.
According to the actual timetable, the Tremezzo bound bus will pass at Como San Giovanni 1 1/2 hrs after the arrival or the (only) direct train from Venice.
The last Tremezzo bound catamaran (according to the actual spring timetable) could only be caught if the train arrives in time.
Old May 9th, 2019, 06:56 AM

The OP is wanting to take the direct, no connection, train from Venice to Como at 3:20 p.m. This isn't a regional train. It stops at Milano Centrale, but the OP would not have to change trains.

The timetable for the C10 bus at my link above is effective from June 9th to Sept. 11th.

Dee_dee, you could always take a taxi from the Como S. Giovanni station to your lodging in Tremezzo. Rome2rio.com estimates the fare at $60 (not euros). Were you were going to take a taxi when you reached Tremezzo?
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:05 AM

Trenitalia loads data in blocks of trains and dates, bit at a time. So just wait until the trains you want are available.
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Please refresh my memory - how far out, how many days, can the IC tickets be purchased at a discount? 60 days? 90 days? there is the Trenitalia site and another? thanks!
Old May 9th, 2019, 08:17 AM

other Italian rail site www.italotreno.it/en.
Old May 9th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Jean:
thanks for the ASF summer timetable. How did you get it?
if I load down https://www.asfautolinee.it/ I get the winter timetable only
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:21 PM

I googled "C10 bus como to menaggio" and got two pdf results that were from the asf website. One had "orario invernale" in the description (or whatever those two lines under the URL address are) and the other had the word "new" in the title. I clicked on the "new" link.

This is title of that pdf result: C_10 new 10.xlsx - ASF Autolinee
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Seems like boats to Menaggio would be more expensive but so much more delightful..
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:52 PM

Thanks, Jean!
Old May 9th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Original Poster here........ Thanks everyone for your replies. FYI, we land at Marco Polo at 9:00 in the morning after a transatlantic flight. I want to reserve seats on the 11:32 out of Venezia Mestre, (1 change in Milano. Frecciarossa and Regionale). Looking at next Tuesday's schedule, there are 4 trains leaving between the hours of 11:00 and 12:00 that don't show for August 20th. My question boils down to: should I wait hoping they'll have more trains OR go ahead and book the 12:32? I'm just hoping to leave an hour earlier as we'll be tired AND I really don't want to hang around the Mestre station more than necessary.

Man_in_seat_61, I'm leaning toward taking your advice and waiting until more trains appear. If you are THE Man in Seat 61, I thank you for all the times I've referred to your website! You've gotten me all over Europe!

RE taking the catamaran vs the bus...... We'll be in Tremezzina for 6 full days so we'll be enjoying lots of boat trips on the lake. I just want to get us to our hotel as easily as possible as we'll be exhausted by then. A taxi is definitely not out of the question.

P.S. I've done this trip before from Marco Polo using 2 trains and the #10 bus although I was definitely younger with better knees!

Last edited by Dee_Dee; May 9th, 2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: additional information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -