Trenitalia Mini Fare - cannot see any??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried to book some minifare on Trenitalia website? I have been trying for a number of journals for my upcoming Easter holiday. But cannot see any minifare on their website!!

Can anyone shed some lights please??

Thanks!!
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:18 AM

You need to select a jounrey and click continue and then you will get the different rates. The first price you see on the list of trains isnt really the price (not sure what it represents...maybe the average?)

If you have done the above and dont see any there may not be any left or available on the route you are looking at.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

I have tried difference journeys, eg Venice - Florence, Rome - Florence, etc for various dates. But did not see one single mini fare.

Just thought this was a bit odd, as I always manage to book minifares in my previous Italy trips.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM
J62

I see mini fares for April 8 when I look. Rome to Florence, 27 euros.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 03:02 AM

seat61.com/italy for help trrnitalia.it web site a nightmare do not take most US CCs designed to rip off high shipping costs. Usually just train like a local on regional trains 2-5 euro per hour of training nice cheap no hassle.Have been going for 40 years always works best for me.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 03:05 AM

Last May Rome Orvieto Florecne 5 euro for me buying cambio classe "sconto" from small machines locals use at station.
do remeber to stamp "convelidate" small ticket prior to hopping aboard. Regionals never booked always the way to go for me.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Do a search for a journey - and then actually select a particular journey out of the list and hit continue and thats when you see them. you wont see them if you just do a search and are looking at all the options say between Florence and Venice. You must select a particular journey by clicking the round circle and then continuing and then you get the option of the different fare choices.

How far out are you searching? Like I said, it could be if you are searching for a ticket for this weekend that there arent any more available.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Try this as a way of getting into the Trenitalia site - it makes finding Minis a lot easier, but be aware that they don't apply on the cheap Regional services!

http://www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index...003f16f90aRCRD

Even though that's in English, you'll have to put in the Italian version of place names - Roma, Venezia, Firenze etc

Shout if that won't find some for your Easter journey!

Peter
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Usually just train like a local on regional trains 2-5 euro per hour of training nice cheap no hassle.Have been going for 40 years always works best for me.>

well to take regional trains from Venice to Florence literally takes all day and requires a few changes of trains and down time in between - so ignore that idea unless say between Rome and Florence you want to spend 4-5 hours on the train rather than 90 minutes or so.

Yes if going Orvieto to Florence that is not so long but still will take much much longer - and regional trains are hard class in that many have IME metal or plastic seats without cushions - I often take regional trains because they stop every few miles at small sleepy stations and as a rail buff I like that - but for the average tourist just wanting to get between cities as fast as possible eschew the incredibly slow regional trains.

Great info on Italian trains - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Last May Rome Orvieto Florecne 5 euro for me buying cambio classe "sconto" from small machines locals use at station.>

Isn't this fare restricted to local residents of the area or at least Italians? If so having such a ticket means riding without a ticket and facing fine, etc. Seems some Italian expert said this in response to one of qwovadis posts - anyway do not plan on such cheap fares as '2 euros an hour' though at the snail pace of some regional trains that could well be true!