Travelsmith raincoats worth the $?

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelsmith raincoats worth the $?

Last spring in drizzly Amsterdam I wore a black water-resistant hooded medium-weight parka from Costco, cheap and practical. For December in Italy I thought I might try to look a bit better, especially if we go to Teatro la Fenice, so I'm considering buying a good raincoat, 3/4 length. LL Bean has one and Travelsmith has several, all at least $149. But the LL Bean one for that price has a lining, which Travelsmith's don't. Their linings cost an extra $60. I'm not an extravagant person when it comes to clothes, and usually I don't bother with anything more than casual--jeans, long-sleeved cotton shirts, fleece jacket under the parka--when traveling. So I'm a bit conflicted with this raincoat idea. At home I don't walk around in the rain; I live in Los Angeles. So a raincoat is not an item I really need, although I'd use it for traveling. I don't like carrying an umbrella; I prefer a hood. Thoughts?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:19 PM

Yeah - don't do it! I recently ordered the mid-length caped raincoat from Travelsmith. When it arrived, it was the frumpiest looking thing that's ever draped my body. I sent it back the next day. I have gotten a few things from Travelsmith that I really like, but this definitely wasn't one of them. Better to find something in a store that you can try on before buying.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM

I recieved a TS raincoat as a gift. They certainly have a lot of pockets that are very usefull. I didn't get the liner as part of the gift and had always considered picking one up but like you pointed out $60 plus shipping. I don't live in a really cold or rainy climate and really don't need it much except when I travel. I've seen raincoats with the liner at Burlington Coat Factory for about the same price as the TS liner. And the one at Burlington was cute.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM

Forget the Travelsmith. If you live in LA go to Marshalls, they have a new shipment of coats. Or Steinmart. You can get an excellent coat for a good price, I just did. Like you say, we don't need raincoats in LA, just for travel so don't overspend and save your money for fun in Italy.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:51 PM

Often you can find a nice black long all purpose coat (withoUT the lining, or one WITH, but don't use it...too heavy) for much less than you quoted and still very good quality. Yes, it's better to see it first and try it on.

Having a merchandising background (albiet a LONG time ago) I often think that a LARGE percentage of the cost of some coats is in the NAME , such as Travelsmith, LLBean etc.
Having said this, I would imagine they DO have some nice things for travel.

I also live in a warm climate but we travel in NOv. and March/April to Europe~~~ and for years I used a tailored long black all purpose coat. It took me to the Opera in Vienna on a cold night (layers underneath ) and I felt well dressed. ,,,.comfortable!!! and it was good for walking around the city streets of Austria, London, Paris etc. (by long I mean calf length.( Now I have a 3/4 length from Burlington Coat Factory (I think)
Forget where I got my old first one, but it seems it was Academy or sale at a dept. store etc...and it has served me wonderfully.
Looks like a London Fog. (but THEY are so Heavy and bulky).
December will be a wonderful time to travel to Italy. Have fun.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM

I agree that the Travelsmith clothes are frumpy once you try them on.
I also agree that you might try Marshall's or Ross if you live in LA.
I live in LA and last weekend Macy's was having a coat sale. I bought a beautiful knee length black wool coat with removable(button-off) hood on sale for under $110. I plan on wearing it in Prague/Vienna/Budapest this coming March. While I may not wear it every day here in LA, I'm sure it will get some use. They style is "neutral" enough that it can be dressed up or down.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:41 AM

I bought a long trench coat with removable hood and liner from LL Bean many years ago. I bought it on sale for about one hundred dollars but I'm sure the price has gone up a bit since then. It has served me well during my travels and at home. If needed, I could use the liner and hood while leaving during snow or rain and then do without when I got to better weather. The length is great for heavy rain or freezing temps and for protecting your clothes from everyday dirt. For trips when I'm not concerned with staying warm I take a gore-tex knee length hooded coat also from LLBean that is light enough to stuff into a shoulder bag. Having travelled during blizzards and monsoons, I prefer staying dry. You can dress up almost anything with a scarf and some attitude.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

I thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Yesterday I stopped at TJ Maxx and Mervyns, but there was nothing. I checked Ross Sunday, also nothing. I usually avoid department stores and malls, and now the X-mas crush will begin.

The reason I wanted LL Bean or Travelsmith is because the rainwear is breathable and has taped seams. I want something that will really keep me dry. I'll keep looking, knowing that in two weeks I can order from LL Bean if I don't find anything locally.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:55 AM

I have bought several coats and jackets at Burlington Coat Factory - still using them all.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:05 AM

I think Travelsmith is overpriced. I had a bad experience recently with a pair of sandals/huaraches I bought from them. Remember that they are not making these clothes, but buying them from a manufacturer and hiking up the price to pay for all their catalogs and ads. They were, however, very accommodating when I returned the shoes after wearing them for a few months so that is in their favor. I hate umbrellas as well so would be sure to get a coat with a hood.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
TravelSmith is hit or miss in their quality. If you decide to go mail order I would use LL Bean, or check out Lands End.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Mervyn's clothes are junky, try Marshalls or Ross or Burlington. I had a travelsmith and actually laughed at it when I opened the box. I haven't been to Steinmart but my friends really like it. I wouldn't be caught in Teatro la Fenice in a cheap looking Travelsmith. I would not wear any outer clothes from Travelsmith but they do have good travel items.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM

I went with the LL Bean and loved it. The versatility of having the zip-out lining and detachable hood was really impressive and it washes and wears like a dream. (I put it in the washer and after the cycle has ended, simply hang it up to dry. The zip-out lining must be dry-cleaned.) My European friends were even impressed with it, and I think it was well worth the $$.

BC
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Should I get long or 3/4 length? I never wear skirts and dresses, always pants. And I always travel in the "off season." usually cool and occasionally rainy. I am leaning toward the technical qualities of LL Bean. Lands End only has a stadium squall which is for cold weather and isn't really waterproof. They don't have a raincoat. But I'll continue to look locally first.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM

I did get the full length, because I probably wear skirts as often as pants, but once I had the coat, I realized that more coverage is often better.

BC
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:17 PM

3/4 may be better as the full length is not very convenient - it gets in the way, wraps around your legs, if you walk stairs it will drag getting dirty, when exiting a bus, if there are stairs, somebody behind you can step on them.

The best would be a coat with removable lining - so you can unbutton or unzip if it gets warmer.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
3/4 length max.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

I recently bought a reversible waterproof 3/4 length with a hood at Burlington Coat Factory that I wore on my recent Italy trip. No lining, but you can wear a fleece underneath or use layers. Also,take a look at overstock.com or smartbargains.com.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM

Here is my coat, I love it and now it is at a good price too!

http://tinyurl.com/yk3wwg
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM

Forget Travelsmith and LL Bean. Last month, I bought an above the knee water-resistant raincoat with a removable lining and removable hood in Lord and Taylor for about $55. Took it to Italy and wore it during cool nights in October over a light wool blazer or sweater. The brand is PORTRAIT. Rain rolled right off, never used the umbrella I had brought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information