Travelling to Venice HELP REQUIRED RE HOTEL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im travelling with my senior citizen parents to Venice to arrive at Treviso airport in Late Jan in the evening, whats the best and cheapest way to get to venice and are there any suggestions for a cheap yet clean hotel with berakfast (3 of us to a room in under 60-70 Euros a night?)I wasnt sure where to book just in case travelling to the hotel might be difficult in the evening hours, please help, much appreciations thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM

A triple room for 60-70 Euros per night in Venice is most unlikely.

Much as I hate to suggest it, and this is a controversial issue, your best bet is to stay just outside of Venice. Take a look at http://wwww.ryanairhotels.com . Otherwise you could probably get three hostel beds, but you'd have to be sure the hostel was open.

You can take a coach from Treviso to Piazzale Roma in Venice. That has been discussed on other threads.

Make sure you get a hotel with a 24-hour desk, which makes the budget issue even more difficult.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Treviso is the secondary airport for Venice, but some people actually prefer it, it is well connected with Venice proper. See

www.trevisoairport.it/?lan=en

then click on Getting To & From, then click on Transports.

The second from the top is for you: ATV - EUROBUS, goes via Mestre to Venice where all road traffic comes to a halt at the Piazzale Roma.

The bus takes 45 minutes and costs 5 Euros (or you can buy a roundtrip ticket for 9 Euros). You buy the tickets at the ATVO in the arrivals hall before heading out front where the bus pulls up.

In Venice I suggest you look for a hotel in the Cannaregio district which is adjacent to the Piazzale Roma and train station area, sort of to the east.

Look for a street called Lista Spagna and its offshoots. There are a few nice hotels, I can only help you with one name where we liked it (but you have to be able to climb steep stairs with your bags):

Hotel Rossi, 262 Cannaregio, Venice 30121, Italy

Look it up on www.tripadvisor.com where you can search under Cannaregio for other hotels, by price class or by star rating.

If that's where you stay, you have a short walk to the hotel rom Piazzale Roma, no need to climb over bridges or wait for water buses and schlep your stuff in and out. Make sure everybody has luggage with wheels, and you'll be fine.

From that area it's a breeze to go everywhere, the boat buses are right there (and easy to manage without luggage), and there are ways to walk other than where all the masses go - that gets painfully slow and tedious, don't let yourselves fall into that trap.

The main drag goes from the train station and its bridge to Rialto where the second of only three Grand' Canal bridges is, and from there to San Marco square. These routes are marked with yellowish signs, and the thousands of day-visitors trudge through there, elbow to elbow. Get a map and avoid that, it can be done.

If you can't make your price point in Venice, look in Venice-Mestre, the industrial port city ten minutes up the causeway. Nothing scenic about it, but that's why you might get a bargain that's not available in Venice itself. Trains run frequently and take only about ten minutes.

WK
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Here is a cheap Venice hotel that might be okay, except I would doubt it could handle a late-night arrival.
http://www.hotelalexinvenice.com/EN/index.htm
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM
ira

ttt
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM

try http://www.cross-pollinate.com/ for inexpensive looking places in Venice itself. I don't have a clue if anything is good, but it does have a link to Context which has a great reputation for tour guides in Rome.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Pedro8 - Did you find a good hotel for seniors that was a resonable price?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I am staying at the San Lio Tourist House in Venice. For 4 people, I think it's 150 euros so for two I bet this is in your price range, very close to San Marco. Cheap, basic hotel as I'm cheap. I am 12 days in Italy for $721 per person! Let me know if you need anymore suggestions.