Reload this Page >

travelling to Prague ,Budapest and Vienna in early December/ need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:49 AM
pjk

I am planning a trip to Prague, Budapest and Veinna in early December and would like to know about the weather and if this is a nice time to visit these areas. Is there anything special to see/do at this time for the holiday season?

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Linda

I was in Prague and Budapest one year in early/middle November and the weather was in the 40's and 50's with only a day of rain. Last December I was in Vienna and again in the 50's so you never know. The best thing about going that time of year are the Christmas markets. Vienna has one in about every square but the one at the Rathaus (City Hall) is the best and the advent calendar in the windows of city hall is fun to see. The gluhwein is great!

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 04:46 PM
J&J

We were in Vienna and Budapest in mid November a few years ago and found it to be one of our best trips. The weather was brisk (in the 30s and 40s)but dry, although we did have some snow light in the foot hills. <BR>In Vienna we were able to get tickets for the Boys Choir, The folk opera, the Lippizaner Stallions, etc. At that time of the year be sure to visit the wine taverns for food, song and fun. <BR>In Budapest we attended dinner shows with the Gypsy dancers and violins. Also in both cities we were able to buy bus tours of the city and the area, just be sure you pick a bus in which the guide speaks English! <BR>I think you will enjoy the decorations and festive mood as we did without being overwhelmed by crowds. <BR>Enjoy, J&J

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Tabitha

I can't give you any advise, but my grandmother just returned from a trip to these cities and she loved it.Hope you have a wonderfull time too!

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Kjames

I spent the latter half of December 2000 in Vienna and it was pretty miserable. When we landed in Vienna, the whole place was covered in snow. <BR>It snowed some days that month, and other days it was completely gray and bland. The one thing that made the month bearable was that the dismal weather does not diminish the beauty of Vienna's splending buildings. February is a bit better. I spent a few days in Budapest in February and it was a bit warmer and the sun was out--but in my pictures, me and my friends were wearing coats and scarves the whole time. If you can only to to these three beautiful places in December, then go. If you have some choice, maybe try to go late February, when it clears up a bit.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:57 AM
Mika

vienna and Prague have Christmas markets starting last week november. Budaperst I do not know. Have fun,

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:59 AM
Mika

Sorry, its Budapest, I am bad at typing.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 06:32 AM
s.fowler

One trip to Budapest was in Decemeber 1998 -- we were snowed on, there was freezing rain -- it was COLD [and I'm from Chicago...] -- I spent more time on my butt that looking at historic sights, but it was still BUDAPEST! And we were also with some good young friends of ours, so they picked us up If you want to see images of that trip: http://www.geocities.com/travelswith.../budapest3.htm