Travelling on the ORIENT EXPRESS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to travel on the Orient Express next year. What have fodorites who have been on the train have to say? Is it worth it, or overpriced? Also, which of the European routes would you recommend? Which is the original route? Is it possible to get specials for travelling on the train? Thank you.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Where do you plan to depart from and where do you plan to arrive justshootme? When I worked at a travel agency we had some very nice clients that had a big budget for there constast travels. They reported back that they did not feel they got their money's worth travelling on the Orient Express. I don't know anyone else that has travelled on it however. But I will say this couple never came back from trips complaining or grumbling about anything else, for what it is worth.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM

justshootme, I forgot to mention that the website for the Orient Express is www.orient-express.com.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM

The original route of the Orient Express is Paris (Gare de l'Est)-Vienna, which was the route followed by the first train of this name in 1883. Over the years, it ran on to Istanbul, first by continuing on land through Budapest and Bucharest to Constanta (whence a boat to Istanbul) and later on land all the way, through Budapest, Belgrade and Sofia.

Lots of variants developed in the 1920s and 1930s, and post WW2, with names like "Direct Orient", "Simplon Orient or "Oostende-Vienna Orient Express", with some carriages starting at Ostend or Calais, and - immediately post WW1 - an alternative route being developed from Paris to Simplon, Milan, Venice, Trieste and Nis for Athens or Istanbul, thus avoiding Germany and Austria.

Now there is still an Orient Express - a scheduled conventional train, operated by the national train organisations, from Paris to Vienna. It follows pretty much the 1883 route, as far as I'm aware it honours all applicable railpasses and the like, and uses modern rolling stock. You can learn more about it at www.seat61.com/Austria.htm.

Alternatively there's the Venice Simplon Orient Express (VSOE). This is operated by Sea Containers Ltd, uses reconditioned mid-20th century stock and costs the earth. Of the routes it offers, only the Vienna-Paris bit of their Venice-Vienna-London route was ever run by real trains called the Orient Express or its variants. This is the product at www.orient-express.com

I took the Direct Orient (ie the public service ordinary people use to travel) on the Simplon route from London to Istanbul in the 70s and it had its moments - none of them toney, but consistently interesting.

VSOE operate a separate set of carriages from London to the Channel ports: you pick up the "real" VSOE carriages on the Continent. I've been entertained a few times at corporate jollies on the British VSOE stock: as moving theme parks go, it's pretty, and the food was no worse than at any other corporate jolly. I've never met anyone who's taken a VSOE journey and had much positive to say spontaneously about it. I know a few people who hate flying, who find linking Europe's better trains a good way of getting round, but certainly don't expect (and don't find) a sybaritic experience.

The problem, I'd suggest, is this. Even the most luxurious train in Europe is built on wheels only 4'8" apart. That can make for pleasant, spacious, seats in first class on a 3-6 hour journey. But it makes for dining cars and sleeping facilities that are about as cramped and Spartan as a cafeteria or an Easyhotel.

OK for an adventure: but less than gratifying if you're paying a couple of thousand quid thinking you're in for something out of a Merchant Ivory costume drama.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM

That last bit was meant to read "Even the most luxurious train in the bits of Europe these trains cross is built on wheels only 4' 8" apart"
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Interesting information regarding the history flanneruk. The TA clients went on the VSOE. I don't remember what the fare was but I remember it was very expensive. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly and flanneruk, thank you for your advise, I was thinking of travelling from London to Venice on the VSOE. At present, we are undecided if we will travel on the VSOE, if we do decide to go I will post my comments on this forum.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hi justshootme, best wishes to you with your decision. And yes please, do let us know what you decide. I for one would be interested in this train ride if you decide to take it. I do love trains!!