Reload this Page >

Travelling in UK

Search

Travelling in UK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:08 PM
Melanie

Travelling in UK

I have found some good information on this BB, but because the topics seem to be so wide-ranging, it's sometimes hard to find it all. When I went to the Caribbean, there were several BBs that I used that were for specific islands, and got some great ideas and answers from them. Now, I'm looking specifically for information on travelling in the UK. Can anyone point me to a bulletin board that deals specifically with travelling England, Scotland and Wales? Thanks!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:30 PM
robin

let me know if you get a reply! i am moving to the UK in oct and will be there for 3 years at alconbury! robin

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:16 PM
Sheila

Melanie <BR> <BR>I don't know of one. But why not try us? Ask some specific questions and marvel at the quality of the responses <BR

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:35 PM
Thyra

Melanie, I just ordered my mother in law a book called "the best Bed & Breakfasts in England, Scotland and Wales" I ordered it though Amazon for about $20.00 it seemed very well researched and had tons of color photos.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:42 PM
Sheila

Thyra <BR> <BR>(whispers- I think BB is Bulletin Board, not Bed & Breakfast. I only spotted your leap of logic because I did exactly the same thing

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:55 PM
Thyra

Sheila!!!! Thanks, ohmyGod... like can you tell I live in Southern California???? Oh do I feel stupid now.. <BR>Where is topper to bury this post?

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 04:13 AM
Bob

Don't forget you can just click on England and not have to read all the posts on other areas. On the UK try going to www.theaa.co.uk/hotels/.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 09:42 AM
topper

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 10:53 AM
J.M.

For travel info specific to the UK, try this website: <BR> <BR> <BR>www.britannia.com <BR> <BR> <BR>Good Luck!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 11:44 AM
Ben Haines

Sorry: I know no such bulletin board. But there are many web sites, so I'm coying you and Robin a list by e-mail. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Britain <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR> London.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Catherine

We just returned from a trip to England, Scotland, and Wales. It was fantastic. Here are some tips: <BR>1-Never leave anything in your car. If you do, put it in the trunk, and don't let anyone see you do it. A couple at our B and B in Wales had their car broken into and lost a great deal including clothes, souvenirs and film. The car rental agencies may try to give you a better deal to take a car without a boot (read trunk), but don't go for it or your stuff may get pinched (read stolen). <BR>2-Make every effort to visit Edinburgh in late August during the International Festival and the Military Tattoo. It is a beautiful city anytime of year, but these events are unforgettable. <BR>3-Don't go out of your way to see loch ness. It is beautiful, but it is the definition of a tourist trap. There are many other beautiful places to visit. <BR>4-If you are driving through the highlands, pack dramamine. I had never in my life gotten car sick, but there is a first time for everything. <BR>5-If you are interested in scenery, definitely check out northwest Wales. Take Snowdon Mt. railway on a clear day, and you will see one of the most beautiful places in the world. <BR>6-In London, get aquainted with the tube during the day. Likely you will end up taking it home at night, because taxis aren't easy to find. If you are interested in nightlife, head straight for Picadilly Circus. <BR>7-B and B's are your best bet in the counntry side (~$80 buys a room with private bath along with a full breakfast and invaluable tips from your host), but in London, hotel rooms may be the most convenient (albeit small-very, very small).