Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling in Italy... better take buses or trains?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:09 AM
Rosa

Hi! <BR> <BR>I'm planning to visit some places in Italy. I will start the trip from Interlaken (Switzerland) to Florence. I wish anybody who familiar with Italy will help me. Since the journey between these two cities will be long, I prefer to use my eurailpass. Are there any directly trains? How about night train? <BR> <BR>From Florence, I will continue my trip to Siena (Umbria area) by bus. Please help with bus schedules and fares. Should I book in advance for that bus? Can anybody give me reference which area is better? Umbria or Tuscany? Is there possible to see the area without private car? <BR> <BR>The next few days I will head to Orvieto since I plan to daytrip to Civita. I need the bus schedules and fares also. <BR> <BR>How can I reach Venice from Orvieto? Is it better by bus or use my railpass again? Please also help with bus and/or train schedules. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>Rosa <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:38 AM
Mike Miller

Rosa, I recommend that for the long train segments, you reserve in advance -especially if there is Eurostar service. The website for Trenitalia is: http://www.fs-on-line.com/ They have all of the schedule available on this site. Florence and Siena are within 20 or so miles of each other. You may find the train to be faster than the bus especially if you are staying the center of both towns.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Vita

Does the train let you off in the center of Siena or do you have to take a bus or taxi to get there?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Mike_K

From Florence to Siena the bus is faster than the train if you take the bus marked "rapide". The bus will take you nearer to the center, an easy walk. We stayed in Siena and used the bus to go to and from Florence. You would need to take a bus from the train station to the center.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Vita

Has anyone used this site for bus schedules? <BR> <BR>http://www.turismoverde.com/italia/trasport/bus6fi3.htm

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Judy

I did check the site for bus schedule last February before leaving for Tuscany.The schedule was not really up-dated. <BR> <BR>It was quite easy and cheap to travel in Tuscany by buses, it is not necessary to book ahead.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:23 PM
jj

Thanks Vita, just checked out the website, very helpful.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Holly

Rosa - what is your final destination? You may want to head for Venice first from Switzerland, before you go to Florence and southward.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Rosa

Thanks for the advices. <BR> <BR>I'll fly to Interlaken via Zurich to visit a friend, then planning to continue my Italian journey. <BR> <BR>Holly, my final point will be in Venice or Rome (still can't have firm decision yet). So I better head to Venice from Switzerland before Florence and the Tuscany area? What do you think?