Search

Travelling from Milan to Tirano

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling from Milan to Tirano

Hi All:

We want to travel from Milan to Tirano to catch the Bernina Express which departs Tirano around ~ 2PM. The one good option we found was a train leaving at 8:15 am and reaching around 10:45 to Tirano. Other trains seem to take longer or arrive later than 2PM at Tirano.
My question is are there buses flying between these two cities? We are travelling with a small kid and would prefer to travel leisurely than rush out so early in the morning. Also we dont have anything planned to do in Tirano from 10:45 to 2 PM.
Would appreciate your responses.

Thanks
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I haven't been to Tirano yet, but my notes say visit the l6th C. Basilica della Madonna di Tirano. On the western edge of town above the Piazza Basilica is the frescoed, llth C. Church of Santa Perpetus. The Piazza Cavour and Palazzo Marinoni are the focus of the centro storico. Go east on Via XX Settembre, then N.E. on Via Venosta to find a dozen l6th to l8th C. palaces. Or hang out in a wine bar called Vineria once an old stable,25 Via XX Settembre. I have not trained from Milan to Tirano, so can't help you there. From many posts on this site it seems that most folks don't care for Tirano, they just use it as a hub.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:42 AM

Hi putti,

Which rail site are you using? I found one train that leaves Milan at 10.15 arriving in Tirano at 12.42; I used the Swiss Rail site at www.rail.ch.

s
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Trenitalia shows 8:15, 12:15; 14:15 departures but no 10:15.

It might be a bug on the Trenitalia site; maybe that train has been cancelled for some reason; maybe the Swiss are right about Italian trains. Who knows?

How long before your trip? You might continue checking on Trenitalia or, if you're in Milan (or anywhere in Italy) for any length of time before your trip to Tirano, try to book for 10:15 at a travel agency or at a train station. I doubt that they would sell you tickets for a train that is not running.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Hi Eloise,

How strange about the Trenitalia site -- I had assumed that putti was using Raileurope, which doesn't list all the trains.

So I checked with bahn.de and they also list the 10.15 train. Very strange that both Swiss & German sites list it but the Italian site does not --

Maybe putti should hope for the best but verify the 10.15 once in Milan?

s