Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling by train - first class?? second class??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Augie

I will be travelling by train from Munich to Prague to Vienna to Salzburg to Munich in May. Was wondering if any of you have experience with first class and/or second class train. What are the difference. I would like to save some $$ if possible, so is second class that bad? Are they clean? comfortable? please advice.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Scott

Augie: <BR> <BR>I've been on European trains a few times and travelled in both first and second class. My opinion is to save the money and go second class....unless you can't make a seat reservation in second...then go first class so you're assured of a seat, especially in peak travel seasons. I'm nervous about arriving at the station without a seating reservation and finding that I have to sit in the aisleway for several hours between cities(as I saw many people doing this past summer). Many(most?)European railways assign seats in second class as well as first. Overall, I haven't observed a great deal of difference between first and second class other than a wider seat, a bit more legroom and possibly your own section steward with a meal/beverage cart. <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Scott

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Thyra

I agree with the above, save the money, there really is very little difference except for how many people are sitting in 2nd class as opposed to 1st class. As a consequence first class seats tend to be a little "cleaner" seeing less use as they do, and generally are relatively empty. But aside from that, I don't think the bigger price is justified by substantially better seats.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Kate

I think this decision depends on who you are and how you're traveling...if you have to have things in order and know exactly what is happening, then you should probably make a reservation and pay the extra money for "peace of mind". However, if you like to "fly by the seat of your pants" and don't mind a few inconveniences in order to save a few dollars - then wing it. We did and we ended up meeting fun people - so I think it depends on your sense of adventure. However, if you are traveling with children or older adults, you should definitely spend the extra money and go first class.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Dina

I'm in a similar dilema (spelling !) - me and my husband need to get to Rome by train from Naples - Since we will have luggage and valuables - passports/cards/cash - wouldn't it be 'safer' to travel first class - as I have heard about the pickpocketers and high crime rates ? I'd rather pay a bit extra and be safer than sit in a carriage full of 'dodgy' people !

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Patrick

Here's a thought, Dina. I suspect that if there were a bunch of thieves or pickpockets on a train, they will immediately head to first class where they figure the better targets are. So, I wouldn't use first class for the safety factor as you're suggesting. Indidentally, our only "mishap" on a train was being mugged by three large guys in the aisle/hallway of a first class compartment car in Poland. They jumped on at a station when the train stopped and surrounded us -- two of them pushing from one direction and the other pushing from the other, all acting like they were trying to get through the aisle in a hurry. Meanwhile their hands were in our pockets and even into the top of our pants trying to find hidden money belts. Fortunately I knew what was up, and as I keep my wallet in my front pants pocket, stuck my hand in that pocket and held on tight. They didn't get anything.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:57 PM
dina

Aw my god ! <BR> <BR>Now I'm really worried !!! Has anyone been on a train in Italy and experienced crime ??

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Augie

I was in a train in Italy. My thoughts on this is that everywhere in this world there is gonna be crime, as a matter of fact, we have the most violent crime here in the US. Be cautious where you go and everything. Use common sense and one should be ok. I went through Italy on First Class and that we OK. We did fine there. Again, dont bring your whole bank account over there! just in case a "mishap" happens and your lost is not that great.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Steph

A friend and I were in Frankfut March of last year and traveled to different places by train nearly every day. We don't speak any German and had no idea if we were buying 1st or 2nd class tickets. We basically sat wherever we found a seat. On some of our trips (further destinations) the seats were very nice on others they were normal looking seats. No one said anything about us being in the wrong place. Do you know if there is a seperate entrance for 1st and 2nd class? We had no clue, there didn't seem to be any signs (that we could understand). Also, My dad and i will be going from frankfurt to the Black Forest this July 12th and from Strasbourg back to Frankfurt a few days later. Will we be ok purchasing tickets the day we arrive or could we end up out of luck? DB.com shows a train from Frankfurt to Achern nearly every hour. should we take the chance of it being sold out??? help!! <BR>thanks!!!!

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 01:14 PM
xxx

All over Europe the train cars have a great BIG 1 on them if they are 1st class, and, you guessed it, a BIG 2 on them for 2nd class. I didn't find it too hard to figure out!

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 05:47 AM
hans

Traveled about by train on our France/Germany trip spring 2000. <BR> <BR>Took 2nd class train from Paris to Karlsruhe, Germany on a Tuesday afternoon. Our car was sparsely populated so we had room to stretch out and move about freely. It was clean.( Our one blunder was to get on the wrong second class car initially -- it's destination wasn't Karlsruhe -- so we had to lug all our luggage from the back of the train to a car near the front of the train.) <BR> <BR>Our next 2nd class train excursion was not pleasant. We took a train on a Thursday afternoon from Strasbourg to Montpellier. This was the Thursday before Easter and I think alot of people were traveling for the holidays. Anyway the train was packed like sardines. IT was overbooked and the SNCF kept the train in the station several hours so they could find additional cars. Anyway, it was hot, sweaty, packed with sleepy in the aisles. <BR> <BR>We took a TGV first class from Montpellier back to Paris for our flight home and it was very nice. If, that is WHEN, we go back to Europe, I think I will take 1st class during peak travel and 2nd class during off peak travel. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Linda

Go 2nd class. The only difference is that the seats are slightly more comfortable & the restroom is slightly bigger. I always sit in the compartments and they are as clean as 1st. Also, I have never had reservations nor needed them.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Btilke

Now that we're into our third year living in Europe, I ONLY take first class trains, with the exception of the TGV/Eurostar/Thalys trains (and even then, I usually go first class). I have taken the train from Vienna to Salzburg and was very glad to have gone first class. The second class cars were crowded and many of the them didn't even have "real" seats. The had a padded bench, then a head rest higher up, but the "back rest" was simply the wall of the compartment. For a three plus hour journey, no thanks!! <BR>I am especially glad to be in first class during school holidays. I hate riding in trains that are mobbed with screaming kids, many of whom insist on playing their radios loud (despite the signs against it), running up and down the aisle, etc. The week-end trains from Brussels to Brugge, for example, are always jammed with kids, backpackers, etc., and it's much more pleasant and serene to be in the quieter, less crowded first class (and yes, the seats are notably more comfortable). <BR>On some trains, like the Thalys, first class tickets include a (nice) meal served at your seat. <BR>If your budget is tight to the point that going first class means you'd have to scrimp on meals or accommodations, then go second class. But if you can afford the difference, go first class. <BR>Btilke <BR>P.S. Actually, thieves are LESS prevalent in first class, not more! They stand out more than they do in the overcrowded second class cars. And there's no way I'd take a second class car overnight--we had a private compartment for an overnight trip from Brussels to Lugano and back. Comfy beds, private sink, ample room, etc., and a special first class attendant who took our passports so we didn't have to be woken up during the Swiss border check and served us breakfast in the morning. There were several thefts in the second class couchettes and seat cars, FYI.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:24 PM
steff

I take a train almost every week in Italy and I've never been robbed or had any problems...in fact I go into my second class compartment kick the seat back and sleep for the hour it takes to get to Venice from where I live... don't be paranoid... italy is WAYYYYYY safer than the states

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Meg

Two of my memorable train stories. We took a second class overnight from Paris to Florence. We had a cabin just like described above and we were not woken up at the border to check our passports. Only difference was we seemed to be the only Americans in the car. <BR> <BR>If you get a chance, take a train that has dinner service (first class). We trained from Strasbourg to Paris and were served the most magnificent meal at our seat with tablecloths and flowers and four courses. It was an experience. The car was filled with French businessmen and our waiter told us that as they were on an expense account, they always plan to book a train at the dinner hour to and from their business. Good thinking and a nice perk.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:24 PM
Mark

Stick with FIRST CLASS. It is not a great deal more money. You get a better seat, sometimes a table-seat and NON SMOKING. If you DO NOT smoke, this is a BIG DEAL. Second class is non-smoking; but the train is more crowded and smoke drifts to second.