Reload this Page >

travelling alone in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 1996, 02:23 PM
claire

I was Paris alone and, for the most part, really enjoyed it. I would stay away from Montemarte (there are a lot of pick pockets there and my wallet was stolen), and watch the subways. They're basically safe, but there are a lot of 'gropers' on them! I liked Notre Dame, the Louvre, but if you like impressionists, I thought the Orsee museum (I'm not sure of the spelling anymore!) was fabulous. The bar at the Hilton by the Eifel Tower was great...there were a lot of Americans there and they were really friendly.

Old Dec 13th, 1996, 07:49 PM
Donna

Krista: You will LOVE Paris. Be sure to ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Try to go at dusk and be there as the sun sets and stay until it gets dark. Spectacular. Agree with response above: stay away from Montmartre. If you want an awesome view of the Sacre Coeur, to the Samaritaine Department Store and take the elevator to the rooftop cafe. The panoramic view is one you will never forget. Not to be missed is the Musee D'Orsay. The building alone with worth the trip. Plan to spend at least half a day. The Rodin (the sculpter) Museum is fantastic also (remember "The Thinker" from Dobie Gilles?). Go to St. Germain de Pres (the oldest church in Paris). On the same intersection are many famous cafes. Pick the one that appeals to you and just sit with your favorite beverage and watch the passing parade. Note that the very best (and most reasonably priced) souveniers can be found on the same street as the Eiffel Tower toward the Bir Hakeim metro stop. There is a terrific selection also. I would highly recomment a multi-media theatre presentation called PARISTORIC. Shows are every hour on the hour daily 9-9. Address is 11 rue Scribe, just down the street and around the corner from the Opera. Be SURE to take a boat ride on the Seine. Also best at dusk. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish further information! Also would recommend you pick up a good tour guide, read it before you go, and take it with you.

Old Dec 13th, 1996, 07:49 PM
Donna

Krista: You will LOVE Paris. Be sure to ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Try to go at dusk and be there as the sun sets and stay until it gets dark. Spectacular. Agree with response above: stay away from Montmartre. If you want an awesome view of the Sacre Coeur, to the Samaritaine Department Store and take the elevator to the rooftop cafe. The panoramic view is one you will never forget. Not to be missed is the Musee D'Orsay. The building alone with worth the trip. Plan to spend at least half a day. The Rodin (the sculpter) Museum is fantastic also (remember "The Thinker" from Dobie Gilles?). Go to St. Germain de Pres (the oldest church in Paris). On the same intersection are many famous cafes. Pick the one that appeals to you and just sit with your favorite beverage and watch the passing parade. Note that the very best (and most reasonably priced) souveniers can be found on the same street as the Eiffel Tower toward the Bir Hakeim metro stop. There is a terrific selection also. I would highly recomment a multi-media theatre presentation called PARISTORIC. Shows are every hour on the hour daily 9-9. Address is 11 rue Scribe, just down the street and around the corner from the Opera. Be SURE to take a boat ride on the Seine. Also best at dusk. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish further information! Also would recommend you pick up a good tour guide, read it before you go, and take it with you.

Old Dec 26th, 1996, 12:09 PM
Kelly A. Ellow

Hi! I agree, you will love Paris! My suggestion is to make a "base camp" in the Latin Quarter(le quartier Latin), as it is mostly young students, and is a smaller neighborhood. It is centrally located, within walking distance to Notre Dame, and lots of cafes and restaurants. There is an area near Place St. Michel which is nothing but alley-ways filled with storefront restaurants. Every night you can eat in a different one, and always have a good, cheap meal. Boulevard St. Germain intersects near Place St. Michel, which is a major shopping/galleries attraction.
The Metro is really simple to follow, and all the lines are color coded. Remember: A "correspondance" is a station where two or more lines intersect. You must not only remember the name of your stop, but also the name of the line. Any good travel store will have little laminated metro maps you can carry around in your back pocket. They are great. Get a good Travel Guide to Paris. Read, Read, Read.
Don't worry..... people are very friendly in the city, and are willing to help.
Don't forget an evening trip on the Bateaux-Mouches!
Bon Voyage!!

Old Dec 31st, 1996, 07:36 PM
Sharon

You'll love Paris. It's a beautiful friendly city. As above be careful for pickpockets ect. Take normal precautions. The people are very friendly and helpful expecially if you try and speak french ( It doesn't have to be perfect, but just try to learn the basics) I always stayed at one of the places at the end of the Metro line, their generally cheaper and you get to see more where the people live. For breakfast I went to the local bar for tea or coffee, and then on to a patisserie for fresh baked goods. Ask your pension keeper where and when the best times for things to do. A lot of the sites have a day of the week they don't charge enterance fees or they'll charge a discounted rate. Get a good guide book. Have a wonderful time, you'll love it. Keep travellin.