Search

travelling alone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travelling alone

Hi all -
I have booked a trip to Rome as a little present to myself for finishing school. The main worry has to do with the fact that I am travelling alone. As a student for the past couple years, I have lived alone but always had friends close to me so I am a little worried about travelling alone. Admittedly, I am not going for a month or anything, just 9 days, but I am still worried if I will enjoy myself. Is Rome (with a side trip to Florence) a good place to travel alone. I don't know any Italian but know some rudamentary French (same Romance Base) and have ordered phrase books and CDs to listen to before I leave and on the plane. How much italian is required to get by? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

-c
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:11 PM

Hi tigerwave. Congratulations on your graduation and good for you to give yourself a trip to Italy! You will be in two heavy tourist filled cities tigerwave and consequently you will find the people working in the hospitality field will speak English, or enough that you will be able to communicate. Having said that learning some words and short phrases always makes the trip more pleasant and is appreciated by the Italians. And yes, knowing French will help you with the Italian language.

You sound like you relate well to people and I would think you would have a beautiful nine days. Do a little research so you have an idea as to what sites and sights you would like to visit. There is a wealth of information here on Fodors also. You will find lots of young people in Rome and Florence, both Italians and young people from all over the world.

Enjoy and do save some time for enjoying sitting at an outdoor cafe for a cold drink from time to time so you can soak up the atmosphere of these beautiful and ancient cities. And being on your own will probably mean that you will end up in conversations with others much more than if you were travelling with other people. I hope you will find time to give us a trip report after you get back home. Best regards.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Maybe someone here can give you information about reasonably priced, themed, guided walking tours of Rome in English. We've done them in Paris and London and learned so much and saw parts of the cities that we wouldn't have on our own.

You pick a topic that appeals to you, meet at an easy to reach location and spend the next two hours of so walking around. They usually run about 10 -12 Euro.

You might possibly hook up with another single traveler, or a couple and spend time afterwards with them, or just have someone pleasant to take to while you are walking.

I admire your spirit, as hard as I tried, before DH, I could never get the nerve to travel alone. With your attitude, you'll have a fantastic time.

Nina
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Nina66 has a very good thought tigerwave. In fact, a friend of mine was in Rome by herself this last spring. Type SeaUrchin into Fodor's search box and you should be able to pull up her trip report which includes the tours she took.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Congrats on finishing school!!
Will you be staying in hotels or hostels while traveling? Everyone that I know who stays in hostels, ends up meeting people and they end up not being alone all the time. All the people that I know who travel alone ( my son included) always seem to end up making friends and having full and satisfying days sightseeing and getting around.
I would imagine the amount of Italian you will need will be the amount of French we need <i>Hellos goodbyes, thank you &amp; how much, where is</i> , etc and take a Menu Translator..they are the best for sitting in a cafe and trying to figure out what they are offering to eat!
CD's are a great idea..especially on the plane..
I imagine there will be many more answers from solo travelers in the morning..
Good luck and have a wonderful trip~
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Hi tigerwave ~

This link has some excellent basic Italian that will be anough to get you by if you don't have time to get through those CD's:
http://www.ielanguages.com/italian1.html

Very little really is required to get by. And every little attempt, will be appreciated by any gracious Italian you encounter.

I have traveled in Italy alone and I LOVED it. (I did your exact plan Rome and then took the train to Florence.)

Congrats on finishing your studies.
Arrivederci! Tiff
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Topping for the Newbie
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Hi Tiger,

Congrats on finishing school! You are in for a treat with this trip. Don't even think twice about going alone. I did it last Sept for 3 weeks (but it was my third trip to Italy) and loved it! You might want to check out my trip report, I spent 5 days in Rome and did 2 tours with Context Rome. Although expensive, I felt they were completey worth it.

Search for &quot;Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy&quot;. I think it will give you some good ideas.

I'm so envious! Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Tigerwave- I always travel solo and always have concerns ahead of time but it always works out and I always enjoy myself, meeting people along the way. I too will be going to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) and ending my trip in Paris. Paris I am familiar with, Italy I'm not. You'll be fine and I think the present you are giving yourself will stay with you for a very long time.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM

First of all, congratulations on your graduation!

We may be about the same age (I'm 21, will be 22 in November). In October I will be going on my 7th solo trip to Europe (actually, wait..it's my 7th trip to Europe, 6th trip solo [took my mother along last year]). I will be visiting Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples and Budapest.

I enjoy travelling alone--you are your OWN boss, you do what you want to do when you want to do it. You don't have to conform to anyone elses itinerary. It's fantastic. I've travelled with friends domestically and, well, I doubt I'll do it again.

Meal times get a little lonely, but I tend to eat my &quot;big&quot; meal for lunch and then go someplace very casual or get take away for dinner. While at a restaurant I'll jot down notes or just people watch. Nobody bothers you. Maybe it's because I'm a New Yorker, I don't know, but I don't get caught up in the whole tourist thing.

I tend to not carry maps while walking down the street and don't keep my camera out. I'm actually not big on maps at all and only use them as a last resort, but I do make LOTS of notes on nondescript pieces of paper (such as &quot;exit at Tottenham Court rd, make a right toward cambridge circus. if you pass Chenies street you're in the wrong direction&quot; or something like that). But of course sometimes any traveller needs a map! As far as a camera goes..I'm not overly HUGE on photos but I take it out, snap a picture and go. (unless I'm taking a picture of something very touristy--i.e. eiffel tower)

When you're alone you also meet people easier. I second whoever said to try to find a walking tour--believe me I'm not generally a tour person, but this is something I really do enjoy. Informative and I've met some nice people who've made interesting dinner companions.

ANYWAY..have a fantastic trip. There are several solo travellers here who I know will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Congratulations! Rome and Florence are going to be break for a solo traveller IMO because &quot;the sites&quot; are literally everywhere you step! I went to Germany, Austria and France by myself at age 19. Alone, you may experience a moment or two of homesickness and lonliness, but the quick cures for me were:
-journal writing/coffee at a cafe to peoplewatch
-taking pictures with the idea of putting together a travelogue (you can blog daily to friends and family on blogspot.com now)
-join a bus/van day tour and try to meet someone
-Find a park or fountain, cafe or somewhere you can make your regular &quot;haunt&quot; to feel comfortable when you need to rest instead of spending too much time in your hotel
-Remember that you are visiting a country in which there is so much history, culture and food to enjoy. Put a smile on your face and learn from each experience. Don't beat yourself up if you get lost, forget something or have a communication issue once in a while. Try out some Italian, but most will speak some English if you ask.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM
ira

Hi TW,

&gt;I am still worried if I will enjoy myself. Is Rome (with a side trip to Florence) a good place to travel alone.&lt;

You will have a great time.

In Italian &quot;no&quot; is &quot;no&quot;; &quot;yes&quot; is &quot;si&quot;.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very very much for your responses. While still nervous, the reassurances have helped a lot. Again - thanks -
-c
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM

tigerwave, any more questions, just ask, imagine us all your kindly uncles and aunts, full of advice
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 08:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have not been to Rome, but am female and do travel solo often (Amsterdam, Venice, Paris). For what it's worth here are a few of my tips for being comfortable on your own.

*Make sure your hotel is centrally located in a neighborhood with lots of shops and cafes nearby, don't be stuck out in the suburbs somewhere.

*Get to know the neighborhood around your hotel on the first day of the trip. It only takes a day or two to become a &quot;regular&quot; say if you have espresso at the same bar a few morning in a row.

*Befriend the hotel front desk staff and don't be afraid to ask for their help if you need some advice.

*Eat at casual bars, cafes and family-style restaurants (not the fancy ones even if you can afford them). It will be more comfortable for you.

*Set up the dresser of your hotel nicely... get a scarf, buy some flowers, have a few snacks, bottle of wine and bottle of water, local magazines, music if you're brought it along, etc.

*If you want more structure, sign up for some 1/2 day tours or classes of some sort.

*Look at local calendars and try to find special events, not just the regular tourist guidebook places. Like any kind of small town festival, church bazaar, BBQ, special museum exhibit, outdoor music or plays.

*Carry a paperback novel, journal, or postcards to read or write if you find yourself at loose ends, get a sidewalk cafe table and sit for awhile.

*Don't worry about the language or lack thereof. Especially traveling solo you will have your eyes and ears open to what's going on around you (more than traveling with other people in my experience) and will get by just fine.

kindly, Suze