Traveling with young girls in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read the great suggestions posted on "Traveling with a young boy in Paris" and thought I'd ask for similar suggestions for little girls (ours are 3 and 8). I know they'll love the playgrounds (even my 8-year-old!), but are there other unique suggestions out there? We're going in May. Thanks!!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM

topping
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM

What we loved about the Jardin d'Acclimatation (even our Disneyland jaded kids) was the wonderful combination of younger kids' rides, a bit of a zoo, and the playground activities you simply don't see here in the U.S. (liability laws?). The big rope climbing structures, the giant see-saws, the big play area was just wonderful. They still refer to it as the "fun and amusement park."

Aside from the usual suggestions, try the Parc Butte-Chamont for outdoor fun. Possibly Pere Lachaise (bring bread, cheese, etc, and have a picnic on a bench!)- it's actually a wonderful walk and park, if the fact that it's a cemetery doesn't bother them.

But what worked the most was the structure to our day (not that they were aware of it). We'd usually get an early morning walk in or hit a playground, and bring back pastries for their late-sleeping mom (!). Then visit a museum or other attraction and get lunch either at a restaurant or on the go - sandwiches to go were a big hit (except on the day we picknicked on the banks of the Seine and pigeons snagged one of them while the kids were down by the water!).

Big key: rest time mid afternoon. We let them watch cartoons in French (le Pokemon, etc) sometimes, or nap if they needed it. Then another attraction in the late afternoon, and dinner out or back at the apartment (about 1/2 and 1/2). Late night (well, 9:30-10:00) crepes at a stand were always a treat.

We were so disappointed by Hippopotomus as I mentioned in the other thread. But we found a way to go to decent restaurants without having to sit for 3 hours. We'd go right at opening, usually at 7 p.m. (Brasserie Ille St. Louis is open throughout the day as I recall). Mom and Dad would order our entree and plat (1st and main course), and ask that the kids' main course come with the adults' 1st course, and that their dessert come with or shortly after our main course. We never had a complaint about this from any waiter, and they were glad to accomodate us, and it kept the kids from getting restless. Of course I missed out on a couple of cheese courses this way, but I'm pretty sure I was getting my necessary calories!

Finally, depending on how girly your girls are, check out the Musee de la Poupee - the Paris doll museum. Actually very cool and unusual. And shop like crazy for food and clothes. The kids loved supermarkets for the different types of food than they were used to seeing.

Have fun!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Oh - and get a babysitter at least once (we did twice). You deserve it! We went through ABABA and got a lovely college girl (Anne) who spoke passable English but was wonderful with the kids.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM

tttttttt