Reload this Page >

traveling with teens

Search

traveling with teens

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:56 AM
susanlovesthesea

traveling with teens

we are going with our 3 adult children for a first time rome/florence trip for 9 days...we were told to rent a van at rome airport,drive directly to florence for 3 nights then take car to rome airport, head to rome for rest of vacation and cab it to airport for home..we are so excited but want to explore options...thanks

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family with two teens went to Italy last spring, hitting Rome, Siena and Florence. We used trains for the most part, and a bus between Siena and Florence. In my opinion, if you're just doing big cities, a car would not be the best option: Navigating is difficult and you have to find parking places. It was easy and cheap to take public transportation, we walked everywhere in Rome and Florence since the historic centers are not that large, and my husband could relax not having to drive this time around.

Others may disagree, but I was delighted to have a car waiting at the Rome airport for us to take us to our hotel (less than half an hour away next to the Pantheon, and at 45 euros, money well spent). I'm not so sure I would have wanted to go to Florence directly since I was so tired.

Have fun, your trip does sound exciting!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:42 AM

Hi
Who suggested that you drive? Are there five of you, plus luggaage?
As suggested by rickandpat, you can have a van with driver meet you at the airport and take you to Florence. Then, you have no car hassles once you are there.
From Florence take a train to Rome.
You get to Rome's Termini station; from there you can take the metro if your hotel is close to a stop, or else take a couple of cabs. All around, much easier than driving in and out of Florence. Wait until you see how narrow and twisting the streets are!

I have files on Florence and Rome; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:29 AM
rex

I'm really confused...

You say "traveling with teens"

but then...

"we are going with our 3 adult children"

Do the adult children have teens? Is this a 3-generation trip? Or are they 18-19, and you are (reasonably) referring to them as adults?

In any case, a van is nice for 5 people (or are there more?) but no "teen" can ordinarily help drive a van (in some cases, a 19 year old might be permitted as a driver, but only in limited models of cars).

Anyhow, (a) car(s) might be useful for exploring some of Umbria, Tuscany or other territories BETWEEN Rome and Florence. but they are not worth the hassle IN either city.

With only nine days, I would consider a limited car rental (perhaps two sedans, maybe even small ones?) on days 3-4-5, after an initial 48 hours in Florence (get there by train or plane). Then finish in Rome, days 6-7-8-9, car-free (of course).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
rex

Bringing your message back up "to the top" since you are new here today - - how do I know this? Click on your own name. It's a valuable tip that Fodors fails to provide to you when they send you that initial e-mail confirming your registration.