Traveling with computer?

Search

Traveling with computer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling with computer?

Hey guys... what are your thoughts on traveling around France with a laptop? Is it totally crazy and unsafe? I'd love to be able to download my photos from my camera periodically as well as watch movies on the plane, but not sure if its worth it...

Thoughts?
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
rex

Many of "us" consider it totally second nature to always travel with our (laptop) computers. Excellent to be able to download and review your own photos; you will enjoy them 1-10 days later yourself more than anyone else is going to!

What rarely makes sense is to plan to use it to access the internet. Just go to cybercafes instead. Haaving the ability to transfer, by diskette, from their computer(s) to your own is very handy (doesn't mean that you have to, or should take your laptop in there with you). Saves composing time and reading time for when you have down time, in your hotel room, on the train, wherever.

And ideally, you won't eat up "vacation" time doing any actual work, will you? (but if ya gotta, you gotta).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
rex

P.S. Watch movies on the plane? On the way over? It's an overnight flight, and you will be plenty sleep-deprived without staying up all night to watch a movie. Sleep. Remember it's 11 pm, or maybe even 3 am (Europe time) when you get ON that plane.

The flight home, of course, is another story. And typically an hour longer, due to flying against the jet stream, instead of with it.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM

It's not crazy, BUT:

There are internet cafés everywhere, even out in the boondocks.

It could invite greater possibility of theft.

You need a bunch of adapter gizmos to make it work, and unless you're stying in business-oriented hotels won't be able to connect to the internet from your room.

Trust me it will become a pain in the neck and will either interfere with your enjoyment of the vacation or you won't even open it up. I have a new little Dell that weighs less than 3 lbs. which I always take because I need it for work, and I've cursed it more than a few times.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM

We haven't taken our laptop to Europe-only domestically. To us it's great to use at the hotel but it's a hassle. First you have to unpack and repack it at airport security and then when you reach your destination you either lug it around with you or take a chance and leave it in your safe if it's even large enough for the PC. For sure, I would think using the internet cafes would be better or even the hotels allow you to use their PC for free or for a small fee.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM

What on earth makes you think taking your laptop to France might be crazy or unsafe?

If, like me, you more or less always take it with you, taking it to France is hardly any different from taking it to any other country. Using it for the Web is tricky in smaller, older hotels - but usually the patron's kids can help, even though you may find you're spending longer than you'd like in an out-of-town Darty finding the right doodah. And nowhere on earth are out of town malls more hideous than in France.

If you don't like having a computer with you, you'll find it just as much a pain in France as anywhere else.

But what is it that makes you think it might be crazier or less safe in France than in your own country? How do you think the French travel?
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Be sure your airline will let you watch the movies. There have been several posts about Aer Lingus not allowing PCs to be used to watch movies.

I travel with my laptop ALL the time and it stays home when I go on vacation. One more thing to lug around and try to keep up with.

Actually it has been my experience that more laptops get "lost" on vacation (Based on my firm's experience) I suspect this is because people are in an new location and are not paying as much attention as they should.

Also, one of the PRIME laptop theft spots is the airport. You set your laptop down to get your luggage off the baggage claim and it is GONE!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM

I travel with my computer all the time in the US. My trips to Europe are usually much longer and I try to travel as light as possible, so the computer stays home.

I've never been on a transAtlantic flight where the airline didn't show movies.

Keith